Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2006, 08:46 AM

6 posts, read 22,644 times

Advertisements

My family and I are from Long island, we currently rent, we would like to move to south carolina, for warmer weather and eventually in a few years buy a house. The cost of buying a house here is outrageous, and we are a family of 6. We were thinking about myrtle beach, because we love the beach. I looked up the crime rate compared to other cities and it was pretty high, If anyone lives there or knows how safe it is, I would appreciate feedback. Even if we dont move there, is there somewhere close we could live that is safer, but with a higher population, alot cities have smaller populations in sc, we don't want to live were there is less than 11, 000 people, lol. The country life isn't for us, but we have 4 children, so safer is were we want. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2006, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,974 times
Default Move South

I left NY over 20 years ago, my husband and I were only married a few years.
If you looked up Myrtle Beach, you may want to try, Surf Side Beach, Garden City or even North Myrtle Beach or Pawleys Island & Litchfield Beach.
I am sure the pricing of home are outragous on LI, and the prices here look good, but salaries match the home prices here. I remember being able to transfer with my job in NY when I moved but I would have had taken
a pay cut.
Also you may want to think of Hurricane Season, I still have a hard time(nervous)
during the season and we live almost 90 mins. in land from MB.
If during a hurricane they evacuate it is usually east of the intercoastal waterway.
I Don't know if this will help but my whole family moved down and my
younger sister was a senior in high school at the time and has always said
she wished she had gone all thru high school here.
You might want to check out the Horry County web site, which covers most all of the towns I listed.

Last edited by SSSCNY; 07-05-2006 at 11:07 AM..

Old 07-05-2006, 03:26 PM

6 posts, read 22,644 times
Thanks, appreciate the info

Old 08-03-2006, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,971 times
Smile south carolina

I relocated to SC from NY (originally from MA) late last Fall. I researched SC pretty thoroughly for many things including quality of life. I wanted to be near the ocean and beaches but realized that the closer to the water meant higher prices for homes. When I visited Charleston, SC I absolutely fell in love with the area - charming and historic!
I settled on a historic town about 20 miles inland from Charleston - Summerville. It is close enough to Charleston when I need a "city-fix" but enjoy the charm of Summerville - not a hick town. The homes are very affordable in the North Charleston ~ Summerville area -- but Summerville is much nicer. You can get a decent home between 160K- 230K. If you are not ready to buy there are many rentals available.
If you need to consider schools - Summerville is in Dorchester County District II - which is the best in the immediate area.
I am a realtor that happened upon this site. If you would like, I could send you auto emails for properties for rent and for sale - or even just info links regarding Summerville. I hope it is OK to include email addresses on this site?! maureen@maureencody.com
PS - I just love it down here- will never move back north - and hope I don't ever have to shovel snow again!!!
Best of Luck

Old 08-03-2006, 10:26 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
Why don't you post this on the SC forum? Why can't the New York forum be about New York? It's kind of sad. I'm moving back to New York state from the Carolina's and can't wait! There's a little song that goes a little something like this;

Don't it always seem to go
that you don't know what you've got till it's GONE.

Grass is always greener syndrome is really starting to set in throughout the NY. I hope it passes fast. The last thing I want when I move back is to here more people (who have never been there) yammer on about how much better the south is and how they would rather live there.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:33 PM

152 posts, read 476,725 times
Well, then when you get back to NY, don't bother to read this forum and thus eliminate hearing what you don't want.........

Old 11-06-2009, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,266 times
I live in Ohio and I'm wanting to move to South Carolina, I have two young children and I'm looking for a city that has low crime rates and good schooling areas to rise my children in. Basically just a place where I can call home and feel "safe" and comfortable. Does anyone have any suggestions who has lived in South Carolina for awhile or some years? Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Old 11-06-2009, 01:49 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,026,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvette83 View Post
I live in Ohio and I'm wanting to move to South Carolina, I have two young children and I'm looking for a city that has low crime rates and good schooling areas to rise my children in. Basically just a place where I can call home and feel "safe" and comfortable. Does anyone have any suggestions who has lived in South Carolina for awhile or some years? Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!

We moved from NE Ohio to Columbia over 2 years ago and have very much enjoyed living here thus far. Columbia is the state's largest city (metro area is a bit larger than Akron or Toledo, but a little smaller than Dayton), there is also Greenville which is a nice area as well and of course the coastal cities. There are numerous good school districts to choose from in the Columbia area: the two w/the best reputations are Richland 2 & Lexington-Richland 5. Scan through some of the threads on the Columbia forum as there have been numerous discussions from others relocating from Ohio w/similar and additional questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina