Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 10:11 PM

10,189 posts, read 7,913,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhammond View Post
Zuman, the only folks who look foolish are the Charleston folks who think that it is a national city which is known at the drop of a hat. As I have said, I have spoken with many folks in other parts of the country about cities in my state and Charleston is in no way widely known. Business associates I deal with in Charlotte who moved there from other parts of the country did not know it existed before visiting after the move. They like the city as I do but, it is not nationally known. Heck, even th AP still designates it with SC so people know where it is located.

Personally, I don't care where you are from, maybe it is telling that you are from Charleston and no longer live there, it is hard to find a decent job outside of waiting tables. But, besides that, you have not offered anything other than crap which is what I expect from folks who know nothing more than what they want to believe. now, if you are finished trolling, it is a difference of opinion, live with it.

Charleston ranks #9 for job recovery amongst U.S. metros The region outpaced major metros such as Dallas, New York and San Francisco in employment, output (GDP) and housing growth to achieve a #9 ranking for job recovery among the 100 largest U.S. metro areas.

Brookings Institution Metro Monitor December 2012
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 10:15 PM

233 posts, read 280,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
The more you run your mouth the more the ignorance flows forward. Keep it up you are making a fool of yourself. You know what you do when you ass u me? Please tell me about my education level and my travel experiences if you know so much. Waiting to hear your learned reply.

Brain Gainer metros Charleston Metro listed as #1 brain gainer for highest growth in adults with college degrees

Wall Street Journal September
Well by all means, share with us your education. You are good at running your mouth about folks being ignorant, you seem to like that word, and ASSUME people don't leave the state but, you have yet to understand, this is your opinion and you are dead wrong. Charleston does get college educated people moving to town specifically for the beach. It has been that way for decades. Bad news is that they working at the Boathouse on Breach Inlet before they get real jobs in cities that previously were smaller than Charleston and have left it behind.

Understand, I like visiting Charleston. It is a nice city, just nowhere the national name recognition that you seem to think it has. So, answer this, what cities are most folks going to recognize and know something about.....LA, Portland, Seattle, New Orleans, Orlando, Tampa, Nashville or Charleston? If, as you suggest, Charleston has such great name recognition, I would expect to see it easily on par with these cities. If not, you are just another cheerleader.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Charleston ranks #9 for job recovery amongst U.S. metros The region outpaced major metros such as Dallas, New York and San Francisco in employment, output (GDP) and housing growth to achieve a #9 ranking for job recovery among the 100 largest U.S. metro areas.

Brookings Institution Metro Monitor December 2012
Once is not a trend. I agree Charleston has had a couple of good years which combined with weakness in the financial sector, has allowed it to rise. And, I think it will lead SC for a while but, understand it for what it is, a small metro with a large labor intensive manufacturing plant. This is a lot different than high name recognition. Boulder co also does well in spurts but, many folks don't recognize it unless it is clarified.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Well by all means, share with us your education. You are good at running your mouth about folks being ignorant, you seem to like that word, and ASSUME people don't leave the state but, you have yet to understand, this is your opinion and you are dead wrong. Charleston does get college educated people moving to town specifically for the beach. It has been that way for decades. Bad news is that they working at the Boathouse on Breach Inlet before they get real jobs in cities that previously were smaller than Charleston and have left it behind.

Understand, I like visiting Charleston. It is a nice city, just nowhere the national name recognition that you seem to think it has. So, answer this, what cities are most folks going to recognize and know something about.....LA, Portland, Seattle, New Orleans, Orlando, Tampa, Nashville or Charleston? If, as you suggest, Charleston has such great name recognition, I would expect to see it easily on par with these cities. If not, you are just another cheerleader.

Whatever. You are right on all counts. Feel better now? Go take your meds and try to relax. This constant ranting about Charleston and working so hard to put it down probably has your blood pressure sky high. Just relax. You are soooooo right about everything. Peace.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
The more you run your mouth the more the ignorance flows forward. Keep it up you are making a fool of yourself. You know what you do when you ass u me? Please tell me about my education level and my travel experiences if you know so much. Waiting to hear your learned reply.

Brain Gainer metros Charleston Metro listed as #1 brain gainer for highest growth in adults with college degrees

Wall Street Journal September
Just curious, what is the most recognizable city in the Carolina's? What is the largest economic driver of the Carolina's? What is the fastest growing city in the Carllinas? And over a period of time? Fact is that Charleston still has a 19% employment base in government, almost as much as Columbia. So, with that In mind, what economic drivers will diversify the Charleston economy such that it reaches the same level as other Carolina cities for a prolonged period of time?

Old 05-17-2013, 10:38 PM

#3, Best Cities for Young Entrepreneurs 2013 Charleston ranked #3 in the 'small cities' category of the '30 Best Cities for Young Entrepreneurs' due to its IT jobs availability, high growth rates, and the Charleston Digital Corridor.

Under30CEO.com March 2013#9 Best Performing U.S. metro for high tech & economic growth The Milken Institute ranked Charleston in the top ten for job recovery and economic growth, and 4th in the U.S. for high-tech industry output.

Milken's Best Performing Cities Index 2012 January 20132012 Best Places for Jobs Forbes ranks Charleston MSA #5 among U.S. mid-size metros and #29 overall as a best place for jobs.

Forbes.com May 2012

Charleston MSA ranks #2 in South Atlantic for economic growth & #14 overall in U.S. “Recession Busting” success attributed to $1.4 billion in new capital investment and 5,500 new jobs from mid-2009 to mid-2011.

Area Development July 2012

Best Cities for Job Growth Charleston region ranked 8th, up 17 spots from last year.

New Geography May 2011

Old 05-17-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
#3, Best Cities for Young Entrepreneurs 2013 Charleston ranked #3 in the 'small cities' category of the '30 Best Cities for Young Entrepreneurs' due to its IT jobs availability, high growth rates, and the Charleston Digital Corridor.

Under30CEO.com March 2013#9 Best Performing U.S. metro for high tech & economic growth The Milken Institute ranked Charleston in the top ten for job recovery and economic growth, and 4th in the U.S. for high-tech industry output.

Milken's Best Performing Cities Index 2012 January 20132012 Best Places for Jobs Forbes ranks Charleston MSA #5 among U.S. mid-size metros and #29 overall as a best place for jobs.

Forbes.com May 2012

Charleston MSA ranks #2 in South Atlantic for economic growth & #14 overall in U.S. “Recession Busting†success attributed to $1.4 billion in new capital investment and 5,500 new jobs from mid-2009 to mid-2011.

Area Development July 2012

Best Cities for Job Growth Charleston region ranked 8th, up 17 spots from last year.

New Geography May 2011
Notice the clarifications for small and mid sized cities, exactly my point. It is not a national city with high name recognition. Thanks for the support.

But, as I have said, Charleston has done well the previous couple if years.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:39 PM

37,796 posts, read 41,526,758 times
Quote:
Notice the clarifications for small and mid sized cities, exactly my point. It is not a national city with high name recognition. Thanks for the support.
Size doesn't necessarily have a direct correlation with name recognition, so the categorization of Charleston as "small" or "midsized" doesn't really prove your point.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:48 PM

117 posts, read 144,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Size doesn't necessarily have a direct correlation with name recognition, so the categorization of Charleston as "small" or "midsized" doesn't really prove your point.
So, do you think Charleston is a nationally recognized city like Chicago, Denver, Phoenix, Orlando, New Orleans, Nashville etc.......if not, then what is the argument?

Old 05-17-2013, 11:53 PM

37,796 posts, read 41,526,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyandy View Post
So, do you think Charleston is a nationally recognized city like Chicago, Denver, Phoenix, Orlando, New Orleans, Nashville etc.......if not, then what is the argument?
I thought I was dialoguing with Vhammond? Anyway, Charleston is obviously not as large as all those cities, but it has its own form of national recognition. And not all of those cities are nationally recognized in the same way. Charleston's national recognition is more along the lines of Key West or Martha's Vineyard or St. Augustine as a smaller niche historic leisure tourist destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina