Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 10:51 AM

20 posts, read 100,528 times

Advertisements

Where do you put your stuff?
I've noticed not many basements in upstate SC (Boiling Springs/Greenville/Spartanburg). Is it a high water-table thing? I've never lived without a basement. Where do you go for tornados (or are there many in this area?) Where does everyone put their "stuff"? Many of the homes I've seen do not have a garage either. OK Carolinians...what's your organizational secret? How will I live without a basement?!

Thanks in advance for your input
J.O.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2006, 11:04 AM

693 posts, read 2,754,860 times
You'll have a hard time finding a house with a basement in California, Florida, and many other parts of the country. Id think this includes SC. I know here in NC I didn't find many (close to none).

Well built housed will have tons of storage space in an walk-up attic or large closets. Or in the (usually large) garage.

Old 07-07-2006, 11:53 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,182,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet-t
I've noticed not many basements in upstate SC (Boiling Springs/Greenville/Spartanburg). Is it a high water-table thing? I've never lived without a basement. Where do you go for tornados (or are there many in this area?) Where does everyone put their "stuff"? Many of the homes I've seen do not have a garage either. OK Carolinians...what's your organizational secret? How will I live without a basement?!

J.O.
Hey there J.O.....I think having a basement will depend on one or more different factors. For example we happen to have a basement in our home as do many others in our city (Tega Cay, SC)....I believe it is due to the fact that we have what is called "rugged topography" which lends itself well to basements. The other factor might be...that it is easier and cheaper for a builder to build up vs. going down into the ground. Lastly may I suggest you do a google search on what one great wise man (George Carlin) said in regard to "Our" stuff (tiny snippet" A house is just a pile of stuff with a cover on it!)

Good Luck with your search!

Old 07-07-2006, 02:08 PM

33 posts, read 168,533 times
I had a basement in my last house in California. The house we have now in SC has walk in attic space, as did a lot of the house me looked at before buying this one. There are some house that have walkout basements here also, the one my son just bought has one.
Scott

Old 07-07-2006, 02:41 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,183,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet-t

J.O.
Well, a couple of answers come to mind. One, don't have a lot of stuff. and two, have a shed. I'm not talking about those cheap Sears metal sheds I'm talking a shed as nice as a house. Sheds that look nice and placed right on property can be nice. For me when I build my home in SC it will have a huge garage

Mark

Old 07-19-2006, 06:13 PM

4 posts, read 34,092 times
In Memphis most houses don't have basements, either. I'm told it's because the ground is clay.We adjusted when we moved from MA. Storage is in the attic (as is the furnace and water heater), but I would look for a house with climate-controlled attic storage. We also have large closets and a garage.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:39 PM

890 posts, read 4,315,233 times
Just ride down the street of any suburban neighborhood and you will see all their cars parked in the driveway. Why? Because their garages are so packed with "stuff" (that they never use by the way, but just gotta keep) that they can't even walk in it. Every now and then you will catch one of them on a Saturday pulling it all out onto the driveway to "rearrange" and "discard" it all to make more room. Gonna get that 2 ton SUV in there yet!! Around 6 or so at night all the "stuff" gets toted back into the storage room, umm, I mean the garage and the door closes and the cars get promptly returned to the driveway.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:17 AM

80 posts, read 561,232 times
We noticed the lack of basements in SC when we moved there being from MN. We built a house with a walk-out basement, and after we built it, we heard that more people were building houses with basements. I'm not sure why there were a lack of basements. We were kind of curious as to why brick is the preferred building material there, though. We built our house with wood and vinyl siding. We thought maybe people there thought brick was more prestigous looking? Then we heard that the reason people build with brick there is because of termites! I don't know if that's true or not. We ended up moving after living in our house for a year due to my husband's job.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:07 AM

7 posts, read 39,033 times
One reason people don't have basements is because of the sandy soil in some areas. You might also note alot of the older homes are built on higher foundations. I've been told this is so you can sit out on your porch and avoid mosquitos. I grew up in SC and go back frequently to visit family. Still know of only a few people who have basements.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 4,944 times
There are actually quite a few homes with basements in Greenville SC. They are not quite as common as some of the states in the northern part of the country, but we do have them. I believe the main reason is the high price to build a basement. Most basement homes in the Greenville area are built on a slope so that a good part of the basement is actually above grade in the back so almost all of the basement homes are walkout basements. Here is a quick link to some basement homes in Greenville SC: [url=http://www.carolinahomesrealty.com/greenville-sc-basement-homes/]Greenville SC Basement Homes For Sale[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina