U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 05:46 PM

9 posts, read 24,308 times

Advertisements

It seems that latley I have been reading some nasty comments on the NC & SC forums about Northerners not being welcome down South??

Based on the people who I know who have relocated to North and South Carolina, I just find this difficult to believe. On the other hand, I certainly CAN believe that the Northerners who bring their nasty attitidudes, arrogance and desire to 'change the South', are discriminated against. However, for those of us from up North who are just genuinely nice people who care about others and don't have an attitide/chip or something to prove, I would think most areas of the South would welcome us.

I'm from the Midwest although I've lived in both Florida (many moons ago) and California. Like the South, most people here in the Midwest are genuinely nice folks. My wife happens to be from Europe and she has been welcomed with open arms everywhere we have been including here in the corn fields of the Midwest. Why would I not expect the same in the South? My brother lived in New Orleans for 13 years until Katrina and he was welcomed with open arms.

While I do imagine some Northerners want to change the South to be like the North, this is ignorant and certainly alien to me. I've always enjoed the slower pace of the South and the genuine people down there. There's no need to change it!

Carolina Jack or any others care to comment?

Would some nice Midwesterns be welcome in North and South Carolina? Would we be discriminated for when searching for work?
Rate this post positively

Old 04-21-2007, 08:29 PM
MHW

30 posts, read 92,386 times
I am as southern as they come! Everyone who is accepting of the southern way of life is welcome. The problem is that many northerners, as soon as they open their mouths, begin insulting us. The grocery clerks are too slow because they greeted your children instead of just checking you out, etc. My all-time favorite (which I hear all the time) is that all southerners are stupid because they talk slowly. Talking slowly does not equal stupidity! Be nice to us and we will be nice to you!

Old 04-21-2007, 08:51 PM

80 posts, read 532,499 times
We are from the Midwest and lived in Spartanburg, SC for two years. We found the southerner natives to be for the most part friendly. We got called Yankee a few times, but the last person that posted is right. If you are friendly and accepting of the way of life there, people will be friendly to you.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:16 AM

4,299 posts, read 13,756,536 times
This has been asked 1,000 times on here. If you are friendly, people for the most part will be friendly back. If you walk around saying the food sucks, people are slow........basically complaining all the time, noone wants to hear it. Not even me and I'm from the north and moved south. Everyone has been nice to me and most of the stuff you hear is just stereotyping anyway. People that are from here are proud of it and love it here. Most people that move here also love it and have no problem fitting in. It's the people that come here thinking they can live cheaper and everything will be the same as the north and then complain when it's not.....that's who has a problem getting along.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:33 PM

397 posts, read 977,074 times
My husband is from Boston and I am from NYC/NJ and we have found everyone extremely friendly towards us! And, I am greatfully refreshed that the pace is slower, that people are nicer, and I am always amazed at how wonderful the clerks in the stores are! It has changed our "fast paced ways", and I believe made us "nicer northerners!" than we already were. We had no intentions of coming down here to change anything, I believe that when you decide to move south, you already have decided to take life a little easier!

Old 04-22-2007, 02:00 PM

9 posts, read 24,308 times
Thanks to everyone for their responses. I figured it was the Northerners who are tying to 'change' the South and the ones with the superiority complex who were the same ones saying Southerners were mean to them. Makes sense.

The one about people talking slow and being stupid must be THE most ignorant assumption I've ever heard. People need to learn to respect and embrace their differences and not try to change one another. If you are going to live in the South it's just common sense to respect and embrace their way of life.

Old 04-22-2007, 03:03 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,854,343 times
NCrelocator, I think you've got the right idea. There are those who adapt to their new place, and there are those who think their new place should adapt to them.

This isn't just north-south, either. Go check out the Montana, Idaho, or Oregon boards; a similar phenomenon happens with people moving out of California.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:08 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,283,331 times
of course we all want friendly, community minded, values minded people from the North, West and NW. i think most communities just want friendly, neighborly people in them.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:16 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,283,331 times
sure we have a slower pace of life but we are not slow. Hmmm, we created the American Music Genres( blues, rock, country, jazz, soul, bluegrass) I dont think we are too slow to develop that. We have wonderful universities and colleges that rival the Ivy League(Duke, UVA, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, Emory, Johns Hopkins, UNC, Rice). We make up the bulk of the great writers, we have given the country many Presidents(George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, W Wilson, Johnson, Carter, Clinton). We have some of the great industries throughout the South, great culture, So i am not sure where stupid and slow comes from

Old 04-23-2007, 03:05 PM

70 posts, read 282,532 times
I posted relatively recently about how many of the people we met in our short time in SC weren't all that nice. I wouldn't go so far as to say they were downright mean, but it was far from the fabled "southern hospitality" everyone likes to give lip service to.

I hold no animosity towards any southerner, the South in general, or even those people whom I considered to be less-than-friendly. I simply chalked it up to everyone having their own biases and prejudices, and I accepted it.

I had no preconceived notions of how things should be, I did not feel that locals should change their ways to fit into some mold of the life I was used to, nor did I have a chip on my shoulder with a bad attitude.

Yet, in this thread, by the very people whom are apparently chastising people such as myself because we've had a somewhat bad experience, we're called arrogant, mean, rude, and insulting. We're stereotyped as pushy jerks by the very people who are complaining about southerners being stereotyped as being slow.

This thread is overflowing with blatant hypocrisy.

Is it that difficult to believe that maybe some people in a small area of a southern state were mean to someone based solely on their dislike for Northerners? Are you so in love with the myth of "everyone in the South is a sweetheart" that you have to personally attack those who expose the truth that Southerners are normal people? Some of which are nice, some of which are mean, some stupid, some smart?

Before you go judging me for one comment I posted, perhaps you should step back in look in the mirror. I'm a bad guy for saying people in the south were kind of mean, and I thought I phrased my post so as not to offend anyone, but it's ok for all of you to call me arrogant and rude.

Perhaps there have been some posts by others that fit the description you've provided. However, I don't feel that I do, and as much as Southerner's don't like to be stereotyped and dsicriminated against, neither do I, so please don't paint me with your broad brush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or