U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 03:33 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,279,768 times

Advertisements

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200908220200/BUSINESS04/90821012
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 07:06 PM

10,397 posts, read 14,999,001 times
SC's unemployment rate is now the 6th worst, not the 4th worst. Michigan, Rhode Island, Oregon, California, and Nevada are the five worst now. We'll pull out of it eventually. Some people are working very hard laying the groundwork for long-term improvements in our economy. I'm not ready to give up yet.

Last edited by Charlestondata; 08-24-2009 at 07:14 PM..

Old 08-25-2009, 10:26 AM

185 posts, read 913,785 times
This is news? South Carolina, since 2001, has had a higher unemployment rate than the U.S. as a whole. Only a handful of counties are not facing very high unemployment (relative to other counties and the U.S.).

Old 08-25-2009, 06:25 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,307,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
South Carolina's economy actually died in the early 90's with the downsizing of DOD.

Charleston got hit very hard; Columbia probably did- though Jackson stayed open.

Greenville got the foreign comapnies to relocate. But they do so because of almost 3rd world labor rates, so the industrial jobs there do not have the same 10-fold multiplier effect as the ones in the NE did.

What kept the state's death a secret?

Housing- same as kept all the Sunbelt humming (on the surface) along.

But, ah, now housing is in the dumper.

And the buzzards are circling.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:36 AM

1,113 posts, read 3,213,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJBenn85 View Post
This is news? South Carolina, since 2001, has had a higher unemployment rate than the U.S. as a whole. Only a handful of counties are not facing very high unemployment (relative to other counties and the U.S.).

Tell me about it...I wish I had known this before I moved my entire family here from NJ back in January. I did my homework, but unfortunately not enough, or else we wouldn't have moved here. My husband has not been able to find work. (We live in Lexington county, in the rural areas near Swansea and Pelion.) Besides the beautiful weather, SC doesn't have anything to offer us. We had much more when we lived in Jersey( ie: money, job opportunities, etc.) than we have now. Services for my special-needs daughter are basically non-existent. If you find yourself struggling to pay bills (and who isn't right now) good luck finding help to pay them. The services here are sorely lacking. My friend who talked me into moving here gave me a song-and-dance about it being "so much cheaper" here...well, it isn't. Maybe if you pay a mortgage and property taxes it is. Rents are cheaper, but my utility bills alone are astronomical. Not to mention that living in a double-wide sucks...you freeze in winter and roast in summer-may as well be living in a metal can. (I won't even mention fire-ants!) We've only been here 7 months and we're already planning to return to Jersey. Maybe we've picked the wrong area to live in, maybe we should have moved closer to the shoreline. At any rate, we have big regrets.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:19 AM

185 posts, read 913,785 times
Lexington County is one of the few counties in SC with an "acceptable" unemployment rate. Beaufort County is another, but the cost of living is MUCH higher.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:33 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,307,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgrl1969 View Post
Services for my special-needs daughter are basically non-existent..
I'm sorry for your situation, but you have to understand is that SC's position on special needs kids is to let them stay home, with zero support from the government.

Same goes for adults with disabilities.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:16 PM

10,397 posts, read 14,999,001 times
Quote:
Tell me about it...I wish I had known this before I moved my entire family here from NJ back in January. I did my homework, but unfortunately not enough, or else we wouldn't have moved here. My husband has not been able to find work. (We live in Lexington county, in the rural areas near Swansea and Pelion.) Besides the beautiful weather, SC doesn't have anything to offer us. We had much more when we lived in Jersey( ie: money, job opportunities, etc.) than we have now. Services for my special-needs daughter are basically non-existent. If you find yourself struggling to pay bills (and who isn't right now) good luck finding help to pay them. The services here are sorely lacking. My friend who talked me into moving here gave me a song-and-dance about it being "so much cheaper" here...well, it isn't. Maybe if you pay a mortgage and property taxes it is. Rents are cheaper, but my utility bills alone are astronomical. Not to mention that living in a double-wide sucks...you freeze in winter and roast in summer-may as well be living in a metal can. (I won't even mention fire-ants!) We've only been here 7 months and we're already planning to return to Jersey. Maybe we've picked the wrong area to live in, maybe we should have moved closer to the shoreline. At any rate, we have big regrets.
Research would have told you not to move to Swansea.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:21 PM

5,885 posts, read 3,875,322 times
Cost of all consumables in SC are in line with what you were paying in NJ (I know, I lived in NJ till 2008 and in Charleston since). This includes my utility bills. All of those are the same. Cost of housing is far far less. Taxes are far less. Small things... like the cost of garbage pickup is less here.

Depending on what you and your husband do for a living pretty much dictates if you can cut it in the south. If you are in a service field, then you probably saw a huge paycut. But there are some jobs here that pay better than they do in NJ.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:43 AM

540 posts, read 1,560,369 times
Quote:
We've only been here 7 months and we're already planning to return to Jersey. Maybe we've picked the wrong area to live in, maybe we should have moved closer to the shoreline. At any rate, we have big regrets.
Nope, the shore stinks just as much! HOWEVER, I found the special education system in Horry County to be superb. Granted she may not need that many services compared to other students. In NY she was in a 6-1 classroom and barely learning anything. Down here she did wonderfully. Unfortunately for my other children's education, I can't say the same.

With all of the positive posts about Greenville, I have myself pining for that area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina