Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 05:01 PM

61 posts, read 267,865 times

Advertisements

Interesting that you mention building. That is what we plan. Figure by the time it is done the market might open up here. Big reason to build is my husband. We need the house to be handicapped accessible for him. Our house isn't bad but the kitchen, laundry and parts of the master bath need to be bigger and different. Also, he needs a Master Bedroom Suite so he can just sit and watch TV rather than sit in bed. He needs one of those recliners that shoves you out.

So, we plan to find the land... then find a builder who has something close and make changes if possible. I am not married to any ideas but certain things I don't like and certain things have to be.

I am much closer to doing the trip...in large part because of your answers. I called a CPA today and the answers were OK and what I expected. I also called a home care provider and if need be they will send a companion to the hotel to take care of him while I am running around. I plan to be at the Fairfield Inn cause they have suites for handicapped. AND not much more than a regular room. They also will let me call as late as 6PM to say I cannot make the trip or need to change the date. That takes tons of pressure off me. I can then just stop if I am tired. BUT an unplanned stop would maybe not get me a handicapped room... for one nite that probably would be OK.

When you said PM me... what is PM... sorry You can e-mail me with your phone number if you don't want to post it and I will definitely call you.

I am more inclined to do this because once I told my husband we would make the trip but he has to do his therapy stuff he really came around. He is bored and wants this badly even if he doesn't wind up making the move. We don't know how long he has...it could be 5 or more years or.... never know with all that is wrong with him.. and all we can do is take care of the medical end and then try to ignore it... can't think about it or wait around for something to happen.

So, maybe we will meet sooner than later.

BTW I am working with Lisa at Carolina RE Company. She is a friend of my horseshoer and he is the one that pointed me to Aiken in the first place. I have not discussed too much with her but I think she does understand what my needs are. I am not interested in people competing or seasonal and people who are living sleeping and breathing horses. More interested in just people who like animals and have horses and do a little riding and hanging around. I think I will like going to some of the horse events... Polo and stuff but not as a competitor... I am too old and I was once very active showing Arabs and Pintos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2006, 05:49 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
Great to hear that you are close to coming up!

PM means to send a private message. Just put your mouse over my name (or anyone's) and the forum will send the message to them privately. If you look in the upper right hand corner of the screen it will tell you how many private messages you have. Point your mouse over where it says Private Messages and click to read any that you have. I will send you my number so you can call when you get here.

There is plenty of land around here. Some is buildable, and some would need to be cleared first. I have seen some of the workers doing the new construction and it is very different. I actually saw people nailing shingles down with hammers, not shooting them down with staples. I think you will be pleasantly suprised by the area.

Good luck with your travel plans & your trip. The Fairfield is right down the street from my house. Look forward to hearing from you.

Old 07-24-2006, 07:34 PM

61 posts, read 267,865 times
Default Interested in Aiken

I will check that PM out. That is great that you live down the street from the Fairfield. We will get together for sure. Maybe You can show me around Aiken a bit... I would gladly pay for your gas.

I will send you my cell phone number privately.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:09 PM

212 posts, read 923,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey
I will keep my eyes & ears open for the sub-divisions. Don't be afraid to consider just buying a piece of land and building on it. Many, many horse owners here have done that.

I understand about the market down there. I am waiting for a friend to sell her place in Manatee County & come up here. This whole move was her idea, and her place was on the market before mine. Harder to sell a horse property, and she is in an area where many of the owners do not have surface rights.

Good luck to you, and feel free to PM me anytime. I would love to meet you when you do come to town.
Hi Evey..you seem to be the person to ask about Aiken I have a few more years to go before retirement but would like to settle in now. It seems from afar that Aiken could be the place to go I have my home up for sale and have been looking at all of my options. Could you please let me know what the prospect is for employment there? Do you have any recommendations for an area that isn't "rural" but doesn't have houses so close together that your neighbor can hear you sneeze I think I can handle a septic system but really don't want to deal with a well. Thanks in advance Evey!

Old 07-25-2006, 06:15 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
What do you do? Aiken is only 20 miles from Augusta, GA and quite a few people commute. There is a DOE facility nearby that is a HUGE employer, SRS.

Chime Bell has pretty large properties, up to 20 acres. I have been driving by another, Hitchcock Crossing, but I have not been inside so I can't speak for how large the lots are. I would be willing to be you could google it. Most of the developments have a website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
View detailed profiles of: