Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 05:08 PM

14 posts, read 78,608 times

Advertisements

Hello :^) I am from out of state(as I said in a prev post) and will be moving to South Carolina as soon as we iron out all the wrinkles. My question is, aside from being closer to the Ocean...lol, what are the big differances between living closer to the coast vs living upstate(such as Greenville area)? And, do you have an opinion on which is better to raise children?Thank you so very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 06:28 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,334 times
Whoa... tough question, and I'm afraid any response will be strictly opinions, with one generality heaped upon another. I now live at the coast, after growing up in upstate with family still living there.

Do you need to find a job? If so, good luck in either location. Depending upon your background and training, the upstate probably offers broader opportunities for good jobs.

The focus along the coast is heavily slanted toward tourism and retirement, although there are obviously plenty of families living down here. The weather may be a little warmer at the coast, but the upstate offers you a better sense of seasonal changes. IMO, the cost of living is generally a little higher at the coast, reflecting the time-honored tradition of gouging the touristas. Schools? Too broad a generality. There are good schools and not-so-good schools in both regions.

It really comes down to what you're looking for and what makes life good for you. Looking for a normal, All-American good life? I'd vote for upstate. Looking for a place with lots of attractions, lots of restaurants, a big old ocean, an occasional hurricane, and, oh yeah, lots of yankees, the coast is the place for ya'!

Old 01-19-2010, 03:17 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Actually there is as many transplants in the Greenville area. Most people I run into moved here from some other area. So the yankee comment is debatable imo. You wouldn't feel out of place in the upstate, but we are closer to the mountains, in between Atlanta and Charlotte, and growing at a pretty nice pace. I love this area, but I'm not a big beach person either.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:33 AM

745 posts, read 2,233,177 times
Depending on how close to the ocean you are, you might want to check on homeowner's insurance costs. We really got raped here in FL, due to the threat of hurricanes. How does $3000 a year for a modest home on high ground grab ya?

Old 01-19-2010, 03:56 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
we actually chose Columbia area, liked what Greenville had to offer but wanted to be near Lake Murray. And Charleston is just a tad over 2 hr drive for us now, so we have made a fair # of day trips down there. Easy enough to hit the beach for a couple hours, wander around town for a bit, and be home in the eve. We like visiting there, not sure if we would have wanted to live there. No knocks on area, we just like the idea of being on a nice fresh water lake, not quite so close to the ocean. And though we're empty nesters already, we have really enjoyed the zoo in Cola, the musuem, and other spots that kids would enjoy as well.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:51 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
the coast has bigger issues with hurricanes, tourists, jobs availability, schools, crime, traffic, taxes, insurance, and cost of living relative to pay. And unless you are looking at the water, the landscape is less appealing IMO. I would say generally, the coast is not as good a place to be middle class and raise a family.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:02 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,020 times
I love living on the Coast and have been doing that for the past 20 years of my life. I grew up mostly in Charlotte. Left in '92 and have lived near the Ocean ever since. Where I live, crime is not an issue. It is a very family orientated area with great schools. However to own a home here, you have to expect to pay more. At least more than Columbia. It's called location..location..location.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:54 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,874,369 times
I was raised in the Upstate and live most of the year here. We also have a place south of Myrtle Beach where we spend weeks at a time throughout the year. We don't have kids but are younger (not retired). imo, if you are younger, with a family, the Charleston/Mount PLeasant area would be the best all around option. During the off-season, the MB area seems mostly like retirees and during peak season, all tourists. The Charleston areas seem to have more of a balanced family-life dynamic, to me. Boeing is coming to Charleston so if finding jobs is a concern for your family, you will surely want to scoot closer to Charleston than MB. I love the Upstate...it is beautiful and a terrific place to live. Mountains and lakes are nearby, shopping rates a B but Charlotte and Atlanta are close enough....people are friendly, cost of living is good....an overall great quality of life. Either way, moving to SC you can't go wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina