Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 12:02 AM

64 posts, read 191,763 times

Advertisements

Thanks already for the input and advise.
I have to admit that I'm the typical European that drives at 100-110MpH on the highway so distances aren't a big problem. So I will have to adapt to driving slow.
Could anyone give me an avarage of distance that can been done in 1 day either on the highway (95) or on smaller roads so I can figure out how long it will take me to get from orlando to Philadelphia via Washington DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 11:37 AM

5,596 posts, read 15,404,660 times
I would make both Savannah, Georgia, and Charleston, South Carolina, an equal priority. Both are very rich in American history, although that history has become diluted by the many cheap tourist traps designed to "rob" unguarded visitors.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:03 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,980,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank from Belgium View Post
I have to admit that I'm the typical European that drives at 100-110MpH on the highway so distances aren't a big problem. So I will have to adapt to driving slow.

Could anyone give me an avarage of distance that can been done in 1 day either on the highway (95) or on smaller roads so I can figure out how long it will take me to get from orlando to Philadelphia via Washington DC?
Dear Frank from Belguim ... please don't drive 100-110 MPH on the interstate or you will end up in jail in some god forsaken little town never to be heard from again.

If you can use back roads you will really get to see our part of the world but you will run into small towns and 25-35 MPH speed limits.

Orlando to Philly via Washington is just over 1000 miles. Interstate 4 out of Orlando will take you to Interstate 95 and Interstate 95 North will take you all the way.

We live 500 miles from Daytona Beach and can drive it in 7 hours via Interstate 95. The speed limit on I-95 varies by state it is 70 MPH in Florida, Georgia, SC and NC. It changes in Virginia I think, last time we were in Virginia to 65. Of course you will find areas of the interstate where the speed is reduced.

You can do Orlando to Philly via Washington DC in two days with straight through driving. So depending on how many days you have to spare, just consider you have 15 to 16 hours of driving time to get to Philadelphia.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:49 AM

Default What to look for and what not to do??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I would make both Savannah, Georgia, and Charleston, South Carolina, an equal priority. Both are very rich in American history, although that history has become diluted by the many cheap tourist traps designed to "rob" unguarded visitors.

I'm one of those unguarded visitors so could you advise me on what to watch out for and not to do or go into?

Thanks

Old 02-04-2010, 06:55 AM

Thank you CAROLINAWOMAN for the advise on speed an distances. I have 22 days to go from Miami to Philadelphia but I promised the kids a couple of days in Orlando to visit Disney World. I would like to see Miami, the Keys, the Everglades in Florida. Then of course Washington DC but in between I'm an alien looking for interesting places to relax and absorbe some culture and history.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:36 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,965,400 times
Interesting that you're getting so much advice to see Williamsburg, VA. It's kind of like the American version of Bruges. Some important historic stuff filled in with new stuff that looks old and LOTS of tourist. I would suggest. Miami, Orlando (for the kids), St. Augusten, Cape Canaveral, Charleston, (Maybe) Williamsburg, Manassas, Washington (A must for any visitor to the US), Gettysburg, and Philadelphia.

There are actually a lot of neat things to see in Philly. It's not the prettiest city in America in places, but a lot of good museums. The airport there is awful!

By the way, I love Belgium. Especially Ghent.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Thank you CAROLINAWOMAN for the advise on speed an distances. I have 22 days to go from Miami to Philadelphia but I promised the kids a couple of days in Orlando to visit Disney World. I would like to see Miami, the Keys, the Everglades in Florida. Then of course Washington DC but in between I'm an alien looking for interesting places to relax and absorbe some culture and history.
Frank ... your best bet since you will arrive in Miami ... while in that area and want to see the Keys ... Key West, Florida is about 160 miles south of Miami. Then you have however many days left and Key West, Florida is about 1400 miles from Philadelphia, PA ... so leaving the Keys you can see the Everglades on your way to Orlando. Leaving Orlando Interstate 4 will take you to Interstate 95 and you will see exits for Daytona Beach and after that St. Augustine. After that Jacksonville, Fl and then into Georgia. Most of the places mentioned are accessed easy off of I-95.

What you have is, if you go to the Keys you have perhaps 20 days to do 1400 miles to Philly, all interstate so good driving (but not 100-110 MPH ok )

You do want to allow enough time to see Washington DC. Washington is about 160 miles from Philadelphia. Go to Map Quest or Google Maps and from the suggestions offered on this thread decide what you and your family want to see and lay out your trip.

If you end up with extra time when you are ready to depart Washington, a nice side trip through Amish Country and a visit to Gettysburg Battlefield is good to see too. Both are located in Pennsylvania and this is just a bypass around Baltimore from DC and then back into Philly. Just a suggestion, you have a lot you want to see and all are just suggestions.

It will be a wonderful trip for you and your family.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:40 PM

Default Is the trip to Key West worthwhile?

I'm not sure if the distance to Key West is worthwhile driving. I would like to drive over the Highway between the islands and see some dolphins but I'm not sure about Key West.
What is special to see there.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure if the distance to Key West is worthwhile driving. I would like to drive over the Highway between the islands and see some dolphins but I'm not sure about Key West.
What is special to see there.
Nothing really ... it is beautiful. If you are into diving and fishing that's about all you will find. The Ernest Hemingway home is in Key West and they have 60 cats. The people gather and celebrate the sunset each evening with music, food and drink. Key West is the southern most point in the continental USA and 90 miles from Cuba.

But due to the other places you and your family want to see, it's really your decision. Leaving Miami and going to the Keys will take a day or more of your time. You can leave Miami and go west to the Everglades in less than two hours ... and see the alligators!

You know Orlando/Disney is a definite for your children so you and your family have to set your other 'must see' priorities. This thread has provided loads of info for you to review. If you are doing Charleston, just leave out Savannah or cruise off the Interstate and buzz through Savannah and back to I-95N and keep on keeping on.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:23 AM

2 posts, read 2,489 times
If you like history, gardens and antiques, you might enjoy the DuPont family mansions: Winterthur Visiting Winterthur or Nemours Nemours Mansion and Gardens. Nearby is Longwood Gardens Longwood Gardens - Home Page. All are near each other in Delaware and Pennsylvania about 45 minutes from Philly. Brandywine Art Museum nearby is a gem too! Brandywine River Museum - N. C. Wyeth, Andrew Wyeth, Jamie Wyeth, Wyeth, American illustration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina