Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 09:13 AM

7 posts, read 37,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmacpher View Post
My daughter is moving to Aiken and is currently negotiating to purchase a home under construction by River Oak Homes. Is this a good builder? The finished examples in South Meadow (I think) were nice and the unfinished home that she plans to buy seemed very well layed out but I'm wondering about reputation. Any information would be appreciated! Aiken sounds like such a gem - I'm glad that she's moving there!
Aiken is a gem, Riveroak Homes is not. My advice is there are lots of other homes and builders in Aiken, I would check them out. We have a Riveroak Home and are going through all kinds of problems, and we are not the only ones. Stay away from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 03:44 PM

238 posts, read 1,247,388 times
We recently did some househunting in Aiken...don't pass up drving thru & speaking to the people at Cedar Creek..it's a lovely community, very friendly & welcoming has a nice golf course thats very reasonable to join..there is new construction and resales available. We dealt with a really nice guy named Fred...Good Luck!

Old 09-03-2007, 05:19 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Default Good Veterinarians in Aiken too!

In my research of potential SC towns to relocate to one thing that impressed me about Aiken was the progressiveness of veterinarians in the area. There seems to be more vets that also use natural medicine than in the Charleston area. I'm very pro natural health for my cat and I'm convinced I lost another pet far too prematurely due to following exactly what conventional veterinary
medicine called for. When i get to Charleston, I may end up scheduling phone appointments with an Aiken vet if I can't find a vet in Charleston open to natural medicine.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:46 PM

6 posts, read 15,238 times
Can anyone give an opinion on the RV parks in the area? My husband and I are full time RVers and are coming to Aiken next week. We need a safe quiet park to stay in for a month or so. We are very interested in the area and like what others have had to say. Thanks so much !!

Old 10-06-2007, 05:21 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,033,429 times
Aiken is a nice town.. but I would say its a better place for someone looking to retire. Assomeone said the main employer is The Savannah River Site. It used to to be the place that made made plutonium and tritium for nuclear bombs.. but now its mission is mainly about environmental cleanup and nuclear waste storage, and they have been cutting significant numbers of jobs there. Augusta is indeed only a 20 minute drive but it doesn't exactly have a vibrant economy. About the only good jobs in Augusta are healthcare related. If you are a nurse you should be able to find something (but then again with the nurse shortage.. you can get a job anyplace that has a hospital). About the only new jobs that have been created in Augusta have been in customer service call centers and low paying retail jobs. The area's unemployemnt rate is well above the National Average so any new jobs that are created don't stay vacant for long. I am not sure what field you are in.. that will really determine your success in finding a job. But I think Aiken is about the nicest place to live in that general area around Augusta.. in fact it really has its own unique identity. Aiken has a very charming downtown with nice restaurants. Equestrian sports are also very big in Aiken with many horse farms in the area.. You can always catch a polo match on the weekends. Crime seems to be low in Aiken, it's much higher in Augusta.. Aiken is sort of like a diamond in the rough.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:51 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDR57 View Post
We recently did some househunting in Aiken...don't pass up drving thru & speaking to the people at Cedar Creek..it's a lovely community, very friendly & welcoming has a nice golf course thats very reasonable to join..there is new construction and resales available. We dealt with a really nice guy named Fred...Good Luck!
What's the price range for Cedar Creek. Used to play golf there and the houses looked very nice. Probably in the $350-500k range, I'm sure. It is a relaxing, scenic place to live.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:09 PM

238 posts, read 1,247,388 times
prices range 300-500..also there are lots for sale & right now you can get a bargin if you are inclined to build as they have reduced their prices..the lots are mostly half acre..ranging from 70-100.
Look Cedar Creek up to see the homes for sale & with the real estate slow down prices may have dropped.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:44 PM

7 posts, read 22,804 times
Try Aiken RV 803 648 4056
or www.carolinanow.com/recsites/aiken (broken link)

North Augusta seems to have a few RV parks and it is only a few miles down the road

Old 02-17-2008, 11:50 PM

6 posts, read 21,746 times
Wink pubic schools

It's probably a little late to be anwering your school question...sorry, but as far as education in elementary public schools, I've heard that Chukker Creek is the best followed by Aiken Elementary. I think alot of them both! Hope this helps.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:29 PM

10 posts, read 36,323 times
You know alot about Aiken, do you know if there looks to be a Sam's Club coming soon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina