Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 04:44 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,317,214 times

Advertisements

why are there so few movie theaters in sc ? we live on the north & south carolina line and there are none any where. my neighbor tells me there used to be quite a few around and now nothing. people here don't watch movies or what ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 10:04 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,598,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
why are there so few movie theaters in sc ? we live on the north & south carolina line and there are none any where. my neighbor tells me there used to be quite a few around and now nothing. people here don't watch movies or what ?
I live in Columbia and there are at least 100 movie theaters here. I'm not sure where you're referring to.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I live in Columbia and there are at least 100 movie theaters here. I'm not sure where you're referring to.
refering to the area of rockingham and surrounding. not one movie theater up here and i would like to know why. closest one is in florence and there's only one. i guess no one watches movies around here.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:24 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,598,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
refering to the area of rockingham and surrounding. not one movie theater up here and i would like to know why. closest one is in florence and there's only one. i guess no one watches movies around here.
Wow, I can't believe the nearest theater is that far. I know that area is sparsely populated, but you'd think there would be a theater in Rockingham, Bennettsville, Hartsville and Darlington.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:24 AM

5,497 posts, read 8,355,711 times
Quote:
Wow, I can't believe the nearest theater is that far. I know that area is sparsely populated, but you'd think there would be a theater in Rockingham, Bennettsville, Hartsville and Darlington.
I thought there was a small theater in Rockingham? My brother and I saw Bowfinger there while we were up there for a drag racing event.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:06 AM

551 posts, read 857,299 times
When I moved to the Greenville area about five years ago, I thought the same thing. There are only three movie theaters in Greenville that plays current movies that I know of. The Regal Hollywood Cinema's is one of the busiest in SC.

Luckily a new multi-plex with an IMAX is being built in Simpsonville SC, where I live. All we can say here is, it's about time!

Old 07-06-2009, 07:10 AM

i am not aware of one in rockingham unless it's somewhere that it isn't real visable. we do alot of our shopping up there and neither me or dw have seen one. i would think there would drive in's all over the place since this would be the perfect place to have them because the weather is so nice at night and you could have it open almost year round. we were talking about opening one in the near future. my neighbor told me there used to be four of them in rockingham.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:12 AM

5,598 posts, read 15,417,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmg1 View Post
When I moved to the Greenville area about five years ago, I thought the same thing. There are only three movie theaters in Greenville that plays current movies that I know of. The Regal Hollywood Cinema's is one of the busiest in SC.

Luckily a new multi-plex with an IMAX is being built in Simpsonville SC, where I live. All we can say here is, it's about time!
There is one in Easley as well.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:50 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,479,595 times
Quote:
There are not 100 theaters in the Columbia area. There might be 100 screens (which still seems like a stretch), but no way are there 100 theaters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmg1 View Post

The Regal Hollywood 20 is actually the highest grossing theater in the Carolinas (North and South Carolina).

I agree that there aren't as many theaters as you would expect these days. I think a lot of that has to do with the increased availability of pay-per-view movies at home, DVR, etc. Also, there are simply more entertainment options now than there used to be. People have a wider variety of interests, and access to a lot more.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:42 PM

551 posts, read 857,299 times
Are there any decent drive-in theaters anymore?

They were a great American hang out back in the day. (I'm recalling the 70's era, I'm not that old).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina