Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 03:08 PM

20 posts, read 95,782 times

Advertisements

I am interested in historic property in Ipswich...but being from the southeast (of the country that is) I don't know much at all about your area. Where would the closest major airport be? Would it be possible to establish a successful B&B in Ipswich or is the population too sparse?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me.
Southern Belle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 06:07 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,430,479 times
Hi Skylar, sorry I don't know a lot about Ipsich. You'd sort of be in the middle of major airports~Fargo, No. Dak. or Sioux Falls or maybe even Minneapolis would be your airports. You'd be a couple of hours away from all of them. (at the least)

It's actually a pretty small town and IMHO a bed and breakfast may not do too well there. It may work as a sideline if you have a full time job elsewhere though.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:15 PM

20 posts, read 95,782 times
Thanks Jammie...

Actually my husband has a good job and can work from any location that is convenient to an airport (which doesn't include Ipswich from what you said)...the B&B is more just something that I'd like to try my hand at...more or less an excuse to buy a great big historic house...

Old 06-22-2007, 08:24 PM

10 posts, read 55,703 times
Ipswich is 20 miles west Aberdeen and Aberdeen has a fairly new airport. IIRC Aberdeen is the state's third largest city, but it still doesnt have 30K.

Aberdeen, SD, City Government
You might do ok with a B&B during hunting season, but the rest of the year you might not have a lot of interest.

Last edited by WhoAmI?; 06-22-2007 at 08:53 PM..

Old 07-04-2007, 09:50 AM

89 posts, read 387,438 times
I know of many people who successfully run hunting lodges (seasonal B&B's in northeastern SD. They do very well during pheasant and deer season...but they sure don't have their lodge as a primary source of income. A B&B, if it is placed right, would do really well in Aberdeen. Somewhere along one of the lakes would be a great location for one and it would pull in not only tourists, but also possibly some locals looking for a night away from the family. Also, Aberdeen has a very nice (albeit small) airport that is always looking for great employees.

I think Ipswich would just be too small and too far off the beaten path for a B&B to sucessfully thrive (or even make ends meet).

Old 06-16-2009, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,962 times
I am from Ipswich, SD and a gal tried a B&B here, and failed at her own doing. She ran an antique shop in it and it just got to cluttered for people to get around in there so they quit coming. It was in the old hospital which is on the historic list, it is in all of the history books.Ipswich is located on US Hwy 12 and the start of the Yellowstone Trail. Look it up, you will find our town very interesting. I own a restaurant in town and wouldn't give it up. Hunting season is great around here, but all year we pull people in off the main highway and the building i am talking about is right on US Hwy 12Swanee

Old 06-16-2009, 08:16 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,754,982 times
I am looking at a job in Ipswitch. Its close to Aberdeen. One of my least favorite towns but in a line of work I enjoy. Decisions decisions.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:36 PM

479 posts, read 1,554,770 times
If you like your work, Ipswich would be fine. Pretty small town. But you have a ways to go for a town bigger than Aberdeen. Bismark would be what, 2 1/2 hours? Fargo maybe 3 1/2. I guess Pierre might be an hour or a little more from there.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:46 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,754,982 times
It would be 2 hours to Pierre. And well I have had my fill of Pierre... Kinda trying to get out of here.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,401 times
I need to know the name of a person I can contact regarding the Ipswich Cemetary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota