Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 04:10 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,831,524 times

Advertisements

Was talking about the (possibly perceived?) cultural divide between "East River" and "West River" South Dakota on another state's thread, which is a phenomenon that has always fascinated me a little. Clearly there are some differences, some type of rivalry and possibly some tensions between the two (for instance, I was once "called out" as "East River" when I ordered a Miller Light at a bar in Wall, which to their credit was very true)- but how big are these differences really?

What do people think- do East River and West River SD have more in common with eachother (culturally, politically, topographically, or whatever else) than otherwise? And/or- would you say that East River or West River have more in common with their neighboring states of Minnesota/Iowa or Wyoming/Montana respectively?

For me personally (as someone that grew up East River and has all family roots there but now lives in MN), I always get excited when I meet anyone that hails from SD when living in other states- and although growing up and as an adult you can definitely find differences between the two- overall I tend to feel that SD as a whole has a unique culture/vibe all its own.

Disclaimer: I'm also not trying to start any flame wars or over-generalizing about one group or the other here, am just curious what others' (respectful) thoughts are or if there are any statistics out there that illustrate any differences....

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 09-10-2010 at 04:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 7,725 times
I don't know if this helps, but my sister moved to South Dakota from San Diego 5 years ago and she hates the whole state. She says there are less people and weather keeps them inside and that everyone seems to talk about everyone's business; busy bodies I think their called.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:46 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clvrgrl7 View Post
I don't know if this helps, but my sister moved to South Dakota from San Diego 5 years ago and she hates the whole state. She says there are less people and weather keeps them inside and that everyone seems to talk about everyone's business; busy bodies I think their called.
That's a pretty general statement for EVERY town in the state.

To the op. Culturally, there is little difference. I've lived both East and West River. Geographically, the Black Hills belongs to Wyoming, the section from New Underwood to Wall belongs to North Dakota and just about the rest of the state belongs to Ne and Mn.

Politically, there is little difference in that MOST of South Dakota has always tried to choose the best person for the job, regardless of Party.

East River is mostly farming, while West River is mostly ranching and forestry.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:48 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,923,510 times
I have lived in SD for almost all of my life and most of it was in the SE corner of the state.

Areas south of Sioux Falls/I-90 and east of the James River are very close resemblance to Iowa due to the cornfields and soybean fields and towns being 6 to 10 miles apart generally.

Areas north of Sioux Falls/I-90 and from the James River to the East would fit well with Minnesota due to numerous lakes dotted in different areas.

I agree with ElkHunter that the Black Hills would go with Wyoming, although most of West River (west of Murdo) would blend in with Wyoming well.

The central part of the state could either blend in with N. Dakota (west of the Red River Valley) or Nebraska (outside of the Platte River Valley).

It seems like some people from Sioux Falls and definitely north are very similar in culture and speech to Minnesota and those south of Sioux Falls start to sound like Iowa and Nebraska people and not have the Minnesota-ish accent or a very dilluted one at best.

The Black Hills reminds me somewhat of a mixture of Colorado and Wyoming. West River reminds me a lot of Wyoming and Montana in a sense.

If people want a big city fix, a lot from SF and south go to Omaha or Twin Cities and north go to Twin Cities and Black Hills area go to Denver.

It is definitely interesting to analyze the state. Some quirks for sure.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:15 PM

948 posts, read 2,791,604 times
More than once I have heard peeps say North and South Dakota would have made more sense as East and West Dakota. West of the Missouri there is more mining, ranching, and tourism, east is more large industry and farming oriented. East of the river is richer soil, humid summers better suited for crops with higher productivity. East of the river in both states there is a far greater population density.

The east and west thing does create some clashing when government spending and tax laws come in to play. Living in western SD that becomes prevalent when the west can be so easily shut down by the east due to the population difference, and when the west makes attempts to affect the east it can be quite challenging.
I think the diversity is good though, that way if one economy is ailing, hopefully another can help carry the load some.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:37 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
As someone who grew up in western Iowa and settled in eastern Wyoming, I agree with the premise that eastern SD is more aligned with Iowa/MN and western SD with Wyoming. I worked in Mitchell for 6 months several years ago, and I was surprised at how "midwestern" it and Sioux Falls were -- much like Iowa. West river is obviously more like Wyoming, not only with the prairie and Black Hills and drier climate, but also the generally more relaxed way of living.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:57 AM

230 posts, read 626,364 times
Having only been in Sioux Falls for less the 3 years and not being in any other area of the state long enough to base a comment on anything, I would say you could find something similar to what is being asked in many states.

I would say look at the states that fall inbetween two differing types of cultures or industry and it wouldn't be much different than what you are talking about in SD. Pennsylvania strikes me when looking to the west of the state, there is farming, but getting to the east has more of an east coast mentality with Philly. The same could be said when comparing climates and land. West Texas and El Paso is a VASTLY different animal than Houston and east Texas. People fall into that category as well. People in New York city don't have the same mentality as people that live in Syracuse New York.

Maybe that doesn't have much impact to the conversation at hand, it was just something that jumped into my head when I read the initial post. Have a good day everyone !!!

Old 09-13-2010, 02:02 PM

193 posts, read 677,655 times
I've lived on the east side my whole life, and I can't tell the difference when I drive over the border into Minnesota.
I CAN tell the difference once I cross the river heading west though, it does seem like a different state.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:08 AM

230 posts, read 626,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raean View Post
I've lived on the east side my whole life, and I can't tell the difference when I drive over the border into Minnesota.
I CAN tell the difference once I cross the river heading west though, it does seem like a different state.
Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm simply interested in your answer, but what differences are you talking about ?? Could it be that we view a river being a more definitive border since it can be seen, versus a state border you wouldn't know was there without a big sign that says "Welcome to South Dakota" on it ??

Again, not being pushy, I simply find this topic interesting.
Especially not being from here.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:51 AM

948 posts, read 2,791,604 times
Terrain, vegetation, soil, weather, population density, type of commerce that the areas lend to - going just twenty miles east or west of the river in most locations of SD you will see and feel the difference - this consistency creates an easily discernible feel from one side of the state to the other with the river simply being the geographical line in between that is a very close to where the above mentioned differences take place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota