Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 04:25 PM

603 posts, read 1,991,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thth65 View Post
Sorry, but I could write a book about discrimination. While we are most concerned about discrimination based upon race, we are ignoring that the real discrimination is based upon income. For instance, as someone with an upper middle class income, it may be illegal for a bank or creditor the charge me an excessive rate of interest. However, for a fellow living week to week, and buying a vehicle at a "buy here pay here lot", the individual may be paying interest at the rate of 28%...
Oh how true, how true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 08:19 PM

46 posts, read 379,654 times
South dakota is indeed pretty racist..

Twice in the last week, Ive heard someone use the term 'negro'. Once at work a few days ago a co worker was talking about music and said "he's a negro right?" and today while getting my hair cut, the lady who was cutting my hair told me about the 'negro' who gave her directions (it wasn't a flattering story).

I cant believe people still say negro in 2007.

I'm taking a race/ethnic relation class this semester and from the comments of a few minorities in the class, they would agree with me.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:25 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,941,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
Yes, this sounds like an isolated incident. I spent some time in SD and never heard or experienced anything like this. People love to generalize if it's a white person doing these sorts of things, but never the other way around. Again, this sounds like an isolated incident and should be handled by the appropriate authorities (ex:file a complaint).
The persons that hammered me have never come back to post anything. Guess maybe they were embarrassed once they reread? Don't know.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:32 PM

46 posts, read 379,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcb View Post
I was born and raised in SD. Both my parents were born and raised here in SD as well as each of their parents. We are South Dakotans; Americans. I have always wondered who "African Americans" are. Are they individuals who were born in Africa and immigrated to America? If they were born and raised in America, why are they not considering themselves to be Americans but rather "African Americans"? With heartfelt honesty, I truly am not trying to be catty or a smart aleck. I simply don't understand. Who is it that is trying to define people by their long ago ancestry or by their skin color? I don't consider myself a Czech, even tho my great grandparents were born there. My husband doesn't consider himself to be a German, even tho his great grandparents were born there. We have had a history of being the great melting pot. Why does it take some folks longer than others to get to the point of being Americans?

Is it possible that not having much contact with individuals of color that we just don't know who prefers what references? I think it is considered terribly rude and in miserably poor taste to refer to an Indian as "red man". Even the college mascots know that has to be wrong. I would never refer to my brother-in-law as "yellow" (Eastern descent). Why would I call someone "black"?

Well you don't wear your ethnicity like a badge, they do. Its simplistic to think that society wont use some label. I don't think its unreasonable for the group being labeled to choose the name that is least offensive to them and ask to be called that.

In a perfect world maybe they would be know as Americans, but unfortunately the world is far from perfect.

I personally think society as a whole benefits from pluralism, instead of everyone conforming to a homogeneous monotone group. A little diversity is good, the melting pot is bad.

Also both of my parent's parents were born in SD, and so was I. We moved to Seattle when i was about two. All of my grandparents were born and raised here as were several great grandparents.

I'm not trying to sound hateful of south dakota, it is a great place, but it defiantly has some issues with diversity. I'm glad my world view wasn't formed here.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:21 AM

20 posts, read 106,264 times
Default agree to disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
The persons that hammered me have never come back to post anything. Guess maybe they were embarrassed once they reread? Don't know.
I for one would never be embarrassed by expressing my views about discrimination and racism...unless you live it, experience it and feel it...you'll never "get it".

I believe that a couple of reasons why people chooseto identify themselves as "Asian American, African American, Native American, Arab American etc.etc....is to:
#1. Make it a proud reminder of their heritage and the struggles it took for them to be here and to honor their pasts'. If someone wants to identify themselves as "Czech American or German American" that is THEIR choice. If it's not important or meaningful to identify yourself as such, then so be it. But those who DO want to identify themselves as such shouldn't be scrutinized or questioned about it...it's their choice...not yours.
#2. Another reason why some groups choose to identify themselves as a particular group is to remind people outside of that group, that, even though we are all Americans..... We come from different backgrounds and histories and because of that our heritage is part of who we are and it will help explain why we believe in certain things, practice a certain faith, experience things a particular way...etc...it's a method of reminding others that "I acknowledge that I may have different ways of thinking, believing, and living life than you and I want you to be able to understand me better."
The defensive stance of "Everyone should just forget it and call themselves American" is denying people the opportunity to really express who they are, what they (or their ancestors)have experienced and how they experience the world. Being defensive about this is a way of devaluing the person's identity and heritage, and we all have the right to these things.
Anyways...enough said, I need to get back to fighting discrimination in my own state...God knows there's enough here...Best of luck with your struggles in South Dakota. I'm removing myself from this thread..not cause I'm embarrassed, but because I'm tired of beating a dead horse...either ya get it or you don't, and agreeing to disagree is good enough for me....Adios!

Old 02-09-2007, 12:52 AM

919 posts, read 1,904,542 times
So I guess its ok for some to call themselves WHITE European Americans? Yeah -riight. Some people do have "certain dislikes" agree or not wont change there minds. Im a mutt-american.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:48 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,369,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
So I guess its ok for some to call themselves WHITE European Americans? Yeah -riight. Some people do have "certain dislikes" agree or not wont change there minds. Im a mutt-american.
I prefer to call myself an American and that's it, but technically I'd be considered a Heinz 57. My ancestors are a bit European and a bit Canadian, but I consider myself a full blooded American.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:03 PM

606 posts, read 695,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Luv Music, I have lived in SD my entire life and I've never seen one act of discimination because of race. We have black people and Indians in our town and I'm unaware of any problems of discrimination. Your friend will be fine.
what about Asian people in South Dakota?
I'm just curious.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:42 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,369,406 times
I'm sorry that I can't really say much about Asians in So. Dak. There are very few in my area. (southeastern, SD) At one time I did work with two girls who were Oriental. I really liked them. They were so sweet and it was fun learning about the country they came from. We also have a realtor in town who is Oriental and she and her husband are both leaders in the church and community. Am I right in assuming that Orientals are the group you're refering to?

Old 02-12-2007, 12:16 AM

606 posts, read 695,945 times
Thanks,I think you are right.It seems that Asian people tend to live along east/west coasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota