Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2011, 07:20 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,923,196 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning a semi-working retirement, and Rapid City is one of the places we are considering, but I have an unusual concern. Lubbock, Texas is our current home and we are trying to escape the dry conditions, the dust storms, and the fact that this area is drying up fast. So I have some concerns about Rapid City since it is as far west as the Texas panhandle.

What is the source of Rapid City's water and how reliable is it?

I've read that droughts have hit S. Dakota. Any dust Storms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 07:31 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
No dust storms. The early 2000s was a drought that I would compare to the 30s sans dust storms. Rapid City's water is secure and from multiple sources. Lakes in the black hills and the madison Aquifer. We've only tapped into 1% of the water the aquifer. The recharge zone is proximate to Rapid City and really good water. The other source is Lake pactola.

The climate runs in patterns. so far this year the drought has stayed away. Last year the pasture grass was green till october 1st.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:20 AM

Wow, thanks for the info. Sounds a lot better than I expected.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:18 AM

The drought broke in may of 2008. The may snow did wonders. The last two winters were above average snowfall. Within the last month the drought monitor is making an appearance.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:36 AM

I've adjusted to the dryness of west Texas and mostly prefer it. We've been here for 8 years. Because of my wife's mold and dust allergies, we've found out that dry is the best environment for her. My concern in the western half of the country is water supply and dust storms. So, I am trying to verify before I move someplace that there is a bountiful water supply when the drought comes, and find about about dust storms. Because of all the dry land farming in the area, spring is bad for her dust allergies so, we have to check out everything.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:20 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,857,761 times
It is good that you are checking all details before you make the plunge,but if you want a dry climate, you may have to put up with the threat if drought. The other thought I had is that the Black Hills tend to shelter Rapid and the east side of the hills from most storms so I would not be concerned about dust storms under severe weather conditions. 75 miles east of Rapid, maybe, but Rapid, Hermosa, Hot Springs should do well under the conditions you are anticipating.

uh

Old 09-04-2011, 12:56 AM

We have dust from time to time. But the dust storms talked about are nothing compared to those texas. Most of west river is pasture and even in dry years there is ground cover.

In the spring and early summer the pollen from the pines is really noticable and ample.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:39 PM

50 posts, read 104,190 times
Just an fyi regarding allergies, we moved here from Dallas in June of 2010. I was on allergy medication at the time, my son who was 9 had been on allergy medication and breathing treatments since he was about 3. When we moved here, we both were able to stop all of our allergy related medications. He is now on no meds at all, and I am just on my blood pressure stuff. This place is truly wonderful.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:16 AM

380 posts, read 1,000,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jccjprince View Post
Just an fyi regarding allergies, we moved here from Dallas in June of 2010. I was on allergy medication at the time, my son who was 9 had been on allergy medication and breathing treatments since he was about 3. When we moved here, we both were able to stop all of our allergy related medications. He is now on no meds at all, and I am just on my blood pressure stuff. This place is truly wonderful.

I hear that. When my wife and I lived in Rapid for 6 weeks a couple years back, I was able to take myself off of my allergy medicine almost immediately! However, when things went south and we were forced to move back to Omaha the very first night I woke up in the middle of the night barley able to breath I was so congested. Since that day I am back on the medicine. Yep, Rapid was truly a wonderful place in many ways including for those who suffer from allergies!! We hope to make it back someday to call it home again. I'm not sure when.....but in the mean time we plan on visiting as often as we can to enjoy the your wonderful town. You know what's funny? We visit Rapid so often every year that I have made friends with the manager at the Comfort Suites Hotel by the truck stop. She gives me a smoking deal of only $47 a night (compared to the $79 normal rate) every time we come. She will be bummed when we get moved there some day and no longer need her services! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota