Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 11:17 AM

7 posts, read 8,586 times

Advertisements

1. how many people attend the baptist church on an average sunday morning?

2. does any of the churches have an active youth groups? for my 4 kids...

3. what kinds of fish are in shadehill lake?

4. hows the icefishing in winter?

5.does anyone have @ 1/2 section of good farmland for sale in the area?

6.whats the soil type and average unamended soil ph.

7. how deep do you have to drill to hit plenty of good well water?

8. is the growing season long enough to grow watermelons?

9. is there anyone in or around lemmon that you know of that has a hungarian background

thats enough for now, thanks, joe fekete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 04:37 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph fekete View Post
1. how many people attend the baptist church on an average sunday morning?
49 Places of Worship in Lemmon, SD (http://www.lemmonsd.com/churches.html - broken link)
Quote:
2. does any of the churches have an active youth groups? for my 4 kids...
Places of Worship in Lemmon, SD (http://www.lemmonsd.com/churches.html - broken link)
Quote:
3. what kinds of fish are in shadehill lake?
Walleye, Bass and crappie.

SD GFP | State Parks | Directory | Shadehill

Quote:
4. hows the icefishing in winter?
Cold
Quote:
5.does anyone have @ 1/2 section of good farmland for sale in the area?
Check with a real estate broker
Quote:
6.whats the soil type and average unamended soil ph.
Not sure. However I don't suggest farming. Grazing is a better use of the land.

Quote:
7. how deep do you have to drill to hit plenty of good well water?
400 or more feet. South Dakota Aquifers

HA 730-I Principal aquifers text
Quote:
8. is the growing season long enough to grow watermelons?
If the hail doesn't get em first.
Quote:
9. is there anyone in or around lemmon that you know of that has a hungarian background
I know there are quite a few Norwegians around there.
Quote:
thats enough for now, thanks, joe fekete

Old 08-19-2011, 10:04 AM

7 posts, read 8,586 times
Default thanks for the info 4020

my neighbor has a john deere 4020. guess thats where you get your nickname. anyway its a good ole tractor.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:16 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Quote:
my neighbor has a john deere 4020. guess thats where you get your nickname. anyway its a good ole tractor.
I spent many hours on a 4020. you are right on.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:56 PM

93 posts, read 182,491 times
Default add me to the list

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Remember View Post
May as well break the ice. Like at a dance, the music plays and everyone waits until someone else gets up. Lemmon is my birth place. Even though I have been gone many years, I still have a place in my heart for this wonderful prairie town. I used to live across the street from the Lemmon School in 1925 to 1929. That is going back. At eighty years old, I am getting sentimental. I still remember my Uncle Jim planting a tree in the parkway.
My mother was born and raised in Lemmon SD. When she died some years ago, at 82, I had a heck of a time getting to any records of her. Seems that they somehow ended up in Bismark. I finally got a copy of her birth record.

At any rate, she was Juanita. She had 3 brothers, Bob, Leo and Bill. Her father was Al. Her mother died when she was very young, and I'm sorry to say I don't remember her name.

I wish I could retire there, but it looks like housing is up up and away past my means. Thats also a shame.

Old 08-29-2021, 01:10 PM

3 posts, read 2,593 times
Default Lemmon SD Home again.

Back in 1969, while thousands of young folks gathered in Woodstock I was here in Lemmon, I walked my lovely wife down that isle of the Evangelical Lutheran Church on the top of the hill on the South East side of Lemmon SD. We had a wonderful life together for over 51 years till cancer took my love from me. It has been a year now and I still feel that pain, but I do have the pleasure of living in Lemmon SD, the town where I was born and raised, where I began my career as a police officer on the Lemmon PD after my return from Vietnam and at the end of my 3 year enlistment. Now so many years have passed, many of my classmates have gone on to the great beyond, and I am feeling every one of my 70 years. Lemmon is still a wonderful place to live, a place where you can still feel safe, live in peace and enjoy the quiet of good folks who respect each others rights, where shaking of hands has remained popular even after the invasion of the Chinese Virus, where masks are not all that necessary because it is rare to hear of Covid deaths up here. Just read through this old thread and thought I should say hello to those who long to walk the streets of our little piece of prairie heaven. My wife and I used to go south for the winter till cancer attacked her. Now I have a 35 foot Class A motor home rusting away in the back yard, without my better half along to see the wonder in her eyes as we explored new places and enjoyed the wonderful nation in which we live, why there is really no reason to go that way again. It is kind of sad to drive down main now though. Jerry's Hardware is gone, the Kokomo Inn is now an art gallery, the Ranger Bar is now a print shop, Kirchhoff's meat market is an empty building. Dick and Jenny's café is now a Chinese café, good food but not the great stuff that Dick used to cook up. Otto's Café is now part of the Thrift Shop, the City Liquor Store that was at the North End of Main Street is now the Sheriff's office and Jail, before that it was the Police Station but when the police department was dissolved and the Sheriff took over, he got the jail in the deal. Probably a good idea since the jail in Bison is pretty much closed down. The dime store is now closed, Smith's Drug took over part of it, the part that was the Bakery at one time, a computer shop took over the other half. The Penny's store is gone, I think part of it was a second hand shop run by Joyce Krebs before she moved back South. You know what though? It is still Lemmon, and still home.
The old A&W with the long shaded parking area burned down when I was working for the PD in 73 if I recall. Martha and Phill's Truck stop(where my mother cooked for years, both my sisters waited tables) burned down and was replaced by a Cennex and A&W then after several years it closed down and is now a tire station and car wash. The Dairy Dip is now the Pizza joint. The car sales lot closed and was bought out by John Deer. There has been hundreds of other changes and North Lemmon still has a few folks hanging on up there, I grew up for much of my teen years up in North Lemmon in the old Willet place, a big 2 story yellow with red trim house, rode the school bus from North Lemmon out in the country to the North Lemmon School till I hit High School and was able to cross the tracks into South Dakota and study in the modern school. Why we had microscopes and such in Biology The English department got their hands on one of those new fangled TV Camera's, when they got it, it spent it's first few weeks in the Study Hall so we could all see ourselves on a TV set up near the camera. We even got some large tube amplified tape recorders, my best buddy and I took an assignment from the School Library to go out and interview the old folks who still lived in their small homes in town. I recall we went to one old rancher's home, he had a LOT of great stories of working on local ranches when the town was being born, as a cowboy, of staying out on the range in shacks while caring for the cattle and hunting wolves and coyotes to protect the calves.

Old 08-29-2021, 01:28 PM

3 posts, read 2,593 times
A bit late for a reply now, You can surely get around nearly year around if you have a front wheel drive car, hell I grew up driving an old 1950 Ford, don't think I was ever stuck. Of course you need common sense, you don't leave town if a blizzard is coming, when the snow is very heavy and there are "near blizzard" conditions, stay the hell home. Now days nearly everyone has a 4wd simply because most of the new cars are built that way. Yes a lot of country folks still drink from the wells on their farms, many have very good sweet water, however some are rather salty. The past decade or so has seen the rural water program come through transporting water from The Missouri River dams throughout the farmlands and towns. Most towns, Lemmon Included now get their water that way, it is better then the old city wells used to be, not that the water was bad but the city crew was, well, not steady with their addition of chlorine to purify it. We drive to Bismarck quite regularly year around, or Dickinson which is smaller but has most of the same stores. Rapid City is a bit farther but remains an easy drive year around as well. South Dakota has a great Highway Department and plows the roads many times even during snow storms. Towns are indeed farther apart then in most areas, for Example to get on Highway 73 and head South, it will be 60 some odd miles to the next town. Of course you can turn about half way down and drive over to Bison which is only 39 miles from my home. The nearest hospital is in Hettinger ND, some 25 miles West of town. We used to have a rather nice hospital years ago, but could not keep a decent doctor so it was converted to a nursing home, in fact my mom lives there now, it is actually a great facility, mom loves it so long as I drive the 5 blocks up to visit her every week or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota