Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 6,904 times

Advertisements

I doubt anyone will read this, since you've posted so long ago. But Lemmon is also a huge part of my heart. You have the view of Lemmon from many years ago, but I've had the pleasure of loving it in it's present state. When I moved to Morristown in 2000 I was a lost little girl that desperately needed some grounding and structure. I think I was so blessed to end up in South Dakota. It changed my life. Born & raised in Los Angeles, I was a crazy teen, on the brink of hopelessness. My Mother moved to Morristown and re-married to Bill Nehl, son of Ted and Eileen Nehl. When I finally wound up in too much trouble in California, I went to stay with them. I went to school in Lemmon, got my first job at the A&W off of highway 12. It was a rough start, I didn't fit in with the town in any way, I was a city kid. But instead of making me an outcast, Lemmon welcomed me. I remember being so overwhelmed with friendlyness. That's something that's hard to find anywhere else in the world. Eventually I changed my ways, and although I'm now back in Los Angeles, I have Lemmon to thank for my sucess in life. The people, the open sky, the farm animals, the dirt roads, and the prarie all contributed to who I am now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2006, 11:28 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Jenn, I'm so happy that your life turned out so well. There's not too much trouble you can get into in a little So. Dak. town, is there? We've lived here all our lives and hope to move to a warmer climate someday, too. Bet you're enjoying the beautiful weather in L.A.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:29 PM

64 posts, read 489,204 times
Jen, there is nothing finer than a small town in the Great Plains. I have been wanting to go back a few years after I left but a person gets tied down with family and jobs. The people do extend their friendship. In California, if you smile at someone, they try to write that into somenting. Back there, it is just normal.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:38 PM

4 posts, read 20,982 times
Default how wonderful to remember past

just read your quote. my grandmother and gradfather both passed away many years ago but i have wonderful memories of them and their life. as a child you never forget the little things that at the time dont seem so important untill about 35 years later and it hits you that that time is gone and yet so close to the front of your memory. my dad and mom are both gone also. my mother died of altimerzers sorry cant spell that word . how i would love for her to see my new grandson jaden. he is a great joy and i hope to be blessed with lots of time to make memories with him that he will look back on one day and smile have a wonder day thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Remember
May as well break the ice. Like at a dance, the music plays and everyone waits until someone else gets up. Lemmon is my birth place. Even though I have been gone many years, I still have a place in my heart for this wonderful prairie town. I used to live across the street from the Lemmon School in 1925 to 1929. That is going back. At eighty years old, I am getting sentimental. I still remember my Uncle Jim planting a tree in the parkway.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:23 AM

2 posts, read 7,931 times
Do you remember Jewel Huwe from the Petrified Wood Park gas station?

Old 12-06-2006, 11:19 AM

5 posts, read 18,209 times
I was born and raised in Lemmon and still have a brother there. I only wish my sons had had the privilege to grow up there. What a life. I remember the little grocery store called Kirchoffs. Anyone remember officer Jim Sperle. He used to stop and talk to my disabled father in the front yard . Better than Mayberry.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:20 AM

Smile petrified park in Lemmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlys View Post
Do you remember Jewel Huwe from the Petrified Wood Park gas station?
I remember the name. My grandfather, John Rafferty helped to build the petrified park and his picture is in the museum there. My dad Owen and several of my uncles helped too. That was my playground growing up.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSnyder View Post
I doubt anyone will read this, since you've posted so long ago. But Lemmon is also a huge part of my heart. You have the view of Lemmon from many years ago, but I've had the pleasure of loving it in it's present state. When I moved to Morristown in 2000 I was a lost little girl that desperately needed some grounding and structure. I think I was so blessed to end up in South Dakota. It changed my life. Born & raised in Los Angeles, I was a crazy teen, on the brink of hopelessness. My Mother moved to Morristown and re-married to Bill Nehl, son of Ted and Eileen Nehl. When I finally wound up in too much trouble in California, I went to stay with them. I went to school in Lemmon, got my first job at the A&W off of highway 12. It was a rough start, I didn't fit in with the town in any way, I was a city kid. But instead of making me an outcast, Lemmon welcomed me. I remember being so overwhelmed with friendlyness. That's something that's hard to find anywhere else in the world. Eventually I changed my ways, and although I'm now back in Los Angeles, I have Lemmon to thank for my sucess in life. The people, the open sky, the farm animals, the dirt roads, and the prarie all contributed to who I am now.
My sister in law is Eileen Nehls sister. I know all about Lemmon, having grown up there. I am so glad it helped you. My brother and family still live there. Good luck and God Bless you.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:06 AM

1 posts, read 4,058 times
Default Looking for a place to call home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeyirish View Post
My sister in law is Eileen Nehls sister. I know all about Lemmon, having grown up there. I am so glad it helped you. My brother and family still live there. Good luck and God Bless you.
We are going to move to the SD, ND, MT area. This is (God willing) a done deal. We have looked at several small towns in all three areas and are leaning toward SD. My wife's sister lives in Cando, ND and has visited her there and loves the openness of this king of country. She is from IN and I am a native Floridian and we are both **** tired of the influx of "Yankees" , the constancy of the urban sprall injecting itself into our lives and the weather (heat and hurricanes).

We have looked at some homes in Lemmon and at some info online but the info always seems to be out of date. Need to know about jobs for my wife (I'm disabled) and travel times to and from. We already know about the climate and are not concerned over it. Also need to know about medical care in the area or the travel time to it, what church, TV, cellphone, internet and shopping options are available.

Any info you can give or give links to will be very much appreciated.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 4,058 times
Default Looking for a place

Skydragon777-

Have you checked out this site: www.lemmonsd.com ? They seem to have quite a bit of info, including churches and medical facilities.

We too are looking at moving to Lemmon. Some friends of ours moved there a couple years ago and have started a couple of very successful businesses. It's very small town living but they seem to really enjoy the slower pace.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota