U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 01:48 PM

41,313 posts, read 42,194,217 times

Advertisements

Doing a summer camping road trip. 30 ft trailer. 2 adults, two kids (12-15) and a cat.

I'm leaning towards Custer State Park - Looking at Blue Bell, Center Lake, Sylvan Lake, Legion Lake - Can I go wrong with any of these?

Looking for full hookups, electric. We'll only be staying 2 nights then on the road again.

There is almost TOO many choices in this beautiful area - so not being a local, a bit confused.

Looking for more of a family environment, lots of trees, maybe some water/swimming, other Tweens&Teens. Looking to see Mt. Rushmore and some other area sites.

Anyone have any other suggestions or would this be my best bet?

Thanks in advance and what a beautiful area of SD this is.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 02:31 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,931,434 times
Do Legion Lake. Custer State Park has a lot to offer and it's very close to Mount Rushmore and all the attractions that the Black Hills have to offer. I've camped up there a few times and had a blast.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Do Legion Lake. Custer State Park has a lot to offer and it's very close to Mount Rushmore and all the attractions that the Black Hills have to offer. I've camped up there a few times and had a blast.
Great, thanks. There are so many choices at Custer as well.

I guess you really can't go wrong in this area.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:34 PM

28 posts, read 96,661 times
Default Black Hills camping

Spearfish City Park is a fine spot to camp. Plenty of shade, grass, running waters of Spearfish Creek and usually well frequented by other travelers with varied age children. Its tucked into a nice location adjacent to DC Booth Fish Hatchery a well visited site and much away from town noise. Park provides many sites. If you're exiting the Hills to the North or West, or even if you're not, this is a place to consider. From the park to Rushmore its over an hour drive.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:25 PM

Thank you, betty, I'll check it out.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:02 AM

27,544 posts, read 35,698,037 times
Rushmore Shadows might be worth a look. It is just south of Rapid on Highway 16. A good central spot that has modern features etc.

But there are plenty of spots. A good staging area would also be Hill City.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Rushmore Shadows might be worth a look. It is just south of Rapid on Highway 16. A good central spot that has modern features etc.

But there are plenty of spots. A good staging area would also be Hill City.
Thanks. Just spending 2 nights in the area and then heading west - destination Seattle. I'm trying to map out the driving distance and reservations ahead of time because I know these parks fill up fast.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:24 AM

18,696 posts, read 39,033,760 times
I would strongly recommend a campground around Hill City. Nice quiet little town, minutes away from Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park, etc. Good central location. There are several really nice campgrounds around there. I won't recommend any one in particular as I haven't stayed in one for several years. The last one I stayed at offered a steak cookout every night with steak, corn on the cob, baked potatoe and all the trimmings. They also had a pancake breakfast (all you can eat). Both were very reasonably priced.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I would strongly recommend a campground around Hill City. Nice quiet little town, minutes away from Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park, etc. Good central location. There are several really nice campgrounds around there. I won't recommend any one in particular as I haven't stayed in one for several years. The last one I stayed at offered a steak cookout every night with steak, corn on the cob, baked potatoe and all the trimmings. They also had a pancake breakfast (all you can eat). Both were very reasonably priced.
Thank you, Elkhunter. I chose Custer State Park on the trip out to Seattle. The sites were going fast so I reserved 2, one @ Sylvan Lake, one @ Legion Lake, now I have a day or two to choose which one.

On the way back home, we are looking to stop in the Badlands area - any ideas there?

TIA.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:11 PM

18,696 posts, read 39,033,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Thank you, Elkhunter. I chose Custer State Park on the trip out to Seattle. The sites were going fast so I reserved 2, one @ Sylvan Lake, one @ Legion Lake, now I have a day or two to choose which one.

On the way back home, we are looking to stop in the Badlands area - any ideas there?

TIA.
There are not a lot of choices in the Badlands. But next to the Badlands is Wall and that's where I would stay and then make the Badlands a day trip.

People will tell you that Wall is in the Badlands. IT IS NOT, but it's a few short miles from the Badlands.

By the way, I grew up 18 miles West of Rapid City, right in the heart of the Black Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota