U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2007, 06:49 PM

56 posts, read 251,089 times

Advertisements

From KOTA
South Dakota drops to 30 in Kids Count survey

Posted: July 26, 2007 03:49 PM MST
Lela French

The latest kids count survey is out and shows a troubling trend.

"Its sad South Dakota's lacking in that because South Dakota is known for a wholesome life. You know, good people that really care about each other and if these numbers are indicating that we're declining down to number 30 on the list, that's a sad statement," says Wellspring Development Director Mark Snyder.

The kids count study looks at how individual states foster to the development of kids.

Two years ago South Dakota ranked 14th. Now, the state seems much worse off in infant mortality, the percent of teens not in school or working, and percent of children living in poverty and single parent homes just to name a few.

In addition, the state has more kids in foster care than the national average.

One place the state held steady, drug and alcohol use. Some local experts say that's surprising.

"Look at Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton. Look at the situation these Hollywood types are getting into with drugs and alcohol. We have that same issue here," says Snyder.

Snyder says the best way to keep your kids from following in their footsteps, early prevention.

"Things like that to try to get especially younger parents, they're becoming parents at a younger age. Teaching them the skills, giving them the skills to be good parents," says Snyder.

Skills that experts hope will add up to a positive difference for South Dakota, and help it return to a place where kids really count.

For more information: KIDS COUNT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 12:14 AM

18,696 posts, read 37,670,071 times
Read the web site. Don't make judgement about the news,

Old 07-27-2007, 08:35 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,762,235 times
Well, hopefully we have more children in foster care because in SOME areas social services may be doing a good job. (Not in my county, but hopefully in others) They may be removing children from abusive homes. I've read several stories where children are lost in the system for years so my guess is that if they can lose children, they maybe aren't too accurate in their reporting either.

I guess I'm trying to make excuses for how our state has dropped, but in all honesty, I don't know the answer. I can tell you that the situation with foster children may have something to do with the reservations.

The other thing I'm confused about is I'm not sure where the older children would be if they're not in school and aren't counted as having employment. Could they possibly be doing farm labor or working for temp agencies? Guess it just sort of surprises me.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:58 AM

56 posts, read 251,089 times
I was curious about the infant mortality rate and wonder if some of these stats are including reservation numbers.

Your thoughts on that Jammie?

Old 07-27-2007, 10:19 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,762,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZheat View Post
I was curious about the infant mortality rate and wonder if some of these stats are including reservation numbers.

Your thoughts on that Jammie?
AZ, my guess is that they do include the reservations in those stats. Even though they are sovereign nations, they're generally included in the stats for our state since they're actually part of the state, too.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:59 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,618,398 times
I agree with Jammie; just because South Dakota has more children in foster care than most other states, does not necessarily mean that South Dakota has more troubled families

It is possible that childrens needs are more adequately met here and the end result is a foster home.

Foster care immediately brings a bad image to mind, but we must stop to think: Foster care is MUCH better than the conditions in which they were living!

In South Dakota, less children are 'left behind' or forgotten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or