Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2011, 10:17 AM

4 posts, read 12,651 times

Advertisements

How is the job prospects there? My husband is from S.D and we're thinking about moving back up there. But i have no idea what the job market is. how is the housing market for rentals? We would have to rent until we were able to buy. What about the schools?

Any info is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 01:34 PM

81 posts, read 234,932 times
Was there around a month ago. There are jobs, however many are in the retail and food service industries. Some good advice is to have a steady job lined up before moving to the area. There are rentals available, as well as properties for sale. Have heard the schools are very good there.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:48 PM

56 posts, read 224,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inbossiercity View Post
How is the job prospects there? My husband is from S.D and we're thinking about moving back up there. But i have no idea what the job market is. how is the housing market for rentals? We would have to rent until we were able to buy. What about the schools?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

I've heard Spearfish schools are very good. Because of its location on the edge of the hills, housing is expensive related to the job market. Rapid City is about 45 minutes away which would have more professional level job opportunities.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the input, we do plan to have jobs lined up first.. Unless we win the lottery ofcourse lol But seriously, my husband took me up there in 07 and it was so so beautiful, the humidity was low, and it was at the Rally time so that was another experience in itself. I mentioned to him that it would be great to move back to be close to his family and friends but he said "wait to visit in the winter time" well we did in Dec 09 and it was cold, and beautiful, and cold lol, I have never seen so much snow.. I'm from the south so the winters would be an adjustment.. So we decided to think about for Florida, but now something keeps pulling me back to South Dakota, we have a young son and I think that Rapid/Spearfish, Black Hills, and all the history that South Dakota has to offer would be great for him. Do you know if any of the schools offer a pre-k program?

Old 09-23-2011, 03:23 PM

Looks like they do have a Pre-K program in the public schools, as well as in some of the private schools. You may like SD alot better than Florida, of course it gets very much colder in SD.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:33 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,856,811 times
If the winter cold and heavey snow are bothering you, you may want to check out Hot Springs or Hermosa or Rapid. You will find that their winters are milder than spearfish or Belle.

uh

Old 09-23-2011, 03:52 PM

I think it was just a shock and something I was not used to. Here if it gets 50 degrees, its cold lol. My thing would be learning how to drive in the snow, or black ice. On the way home from SD at Christmas, we ran into my first "white out" and had to stop and spend the night. The roads and interstates were closing and we saw so many vehicles overturned. But I did get to see a frozen waterfall which was breathtaking to say the least..

Old 09-23-2011, 05:51 PM

If you do end up relocating to SD, winter driving should become like a normal habit. It may be even easier if you have had the experience of driving on icy and snow covered roads. They do close some of the roads if there is a bad snowstorm/blizzard.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:38 PM

948 posts, read 2,792,123 times
The college in Spearfish is the primary driver for its economy. There is a new call center going in (which is replacing the old one), Lehman Trikes is a decent sized employer, the Super Wal-Mart is the only one in the Northern Black Hills. The second largest driver would be tourism, creating a good number of shops, and restaurants. There is the Black Hills National Forest and Bureau of Land Management jobs which provide a decent amount of work as well. The commutes to the neighboring towns of Belle Fourche, Sturgis and Deadwood/Lead, are only about 10-25 minutes, which helps broaden ones area.

With Spearfish being considered one of the nicest towns in western SD, combined with having a college, it makes housing a good bit pricier than the surrounding towns. Finding something isn't too hard, but finding that exact something can be a challenge.

Spearfish also has a fairly steady growth rate with a higher than average retiree population so jobs generally aren't too difficult to find.

The Spearfish School isn't my favorite in the hills, but each school in the area tend to shine in different areas while none that I know of stand above the rest in all areas. SD schools in general are rated quite well nationally.

Hope this is helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota