Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 12:36 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times

Advertisements

Oh Chris, the absolute best kuchen ever created has to be PEACH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 11:36 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
Jammie, peach is a good flavor. My mom goes nuts over the rhubarb-flavored kuchen. She buys 10 or so when she is up in the area and brings a big cooler to put them in and enjoy back home. I heard that a place in Freeman sells kuchen. I will have to make a little trip to Freeman to see what is there.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:10 AM

Oh, I'll bet you're right because Freeman is popular for that old Shmeckfest (sp?) Weird sounding word, isn't it? Actually, there is a gal right here in town who makes them for people. All we have to do is call her a few days in advance and she makes them and freezes them and you pick them up at your convenience. I've tried and tried, but my kucken crust isn't edible so I finally gave up on it.

DH likes rhubarb in pies or kucken or anything like that. Personally, rhubarb is right along up there with liver for foods I dislike.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:54 AM

205 posts, read 729,171 times
Schmeckfest means "festival of tasting". A Google search of the word provides a lot of information, especially about the Freeman festival and also Eureka. There are as many recipes for kuchen as there are people making it. I have a "Food 'N Customs, Recipes of the Black Sea Germans" cookbook published for the Germans from Russia Heritage Society in Bismarck, ND, which I enjoy reading. All of the recipe titles are in German with English translations, but the recipes are in English. Yummy stuff!

Old 01-17-2008, 05:29 AM

11 posts, read 38,359 times
Exprsssions like "gevalt" and "schmeer"?

Old 01-18-2008, 08:45 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,492,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Oh Chris, the absolute best kuchen ever created has to be PEACH.
yep, I vote peach. when i was doing the melon/pumpkin stand in Aberdeen , Ken's (grocery store) had kuecken...peach was the best..then strawberry!!!rhubarb would be ok, but PRUNE really didn't even look good. ps the kuecken were backed in Eureka, and then brought to the store, for resale...

Old 01-19-2008, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
yep, I vote peach. when i was doing the melon/pumpkin stand in Aberdeen , Ken's (grocery store) had kuecken...peach was the best..then strawberry!!!rhubarb would be ok, but PRUNE really didn't even look good. ps the kuecken were backed in Eureka, and then brought to the store, for resale...
Debey, I'm glad you mentioned prune kucken. Surprisingly, it's actually delicious.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:11 AM

325 posts, read 1,548,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairierose View Post
Schmeckfest means "festival of tasting". A Google search of the word provides a lot of information, especially about the Freeman festival and also Eureka. There are as many recipes for kuchen as there are people making it. I have a "Food 'N Customs, Recipes of the Black Sea Germans" cookbook published for the Germans from Russia Heritage Society in Bismarck, ND, which I enjoy reading. All of the recipe titles are in German with English translations, but the recipes are in English. Yummy stuff!
I have that cookbook. Its great! Also had some interesting info on customs and remedies for when your sick. My mom/aunts made basically 2 kinds (No fruit toppings) One they would call wedding kuchen (flat) and my mom's was a kuchen but used raised dough (thicker). You needed farm fresh cream and the cream my mom used was so thick, you had to spoon it out of the jar.
Cream topping and then sprinkle with cinnimon and sugar. The red/green sugar crystals at Christmas time. We had kuchen around about as much some people had bread.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:00 PM

193 posts, read 786,133 times
I went to Eureka this past fall for the first time for a wedding. What a cute place! People can park their cars in the middle of the street and the Wolf's Den was a great place to sit back and relax for a cocktail. The town has everything a person needs--you can even have a little fun on Eureka Lake!
We ate breakfast at the little restaurant there in town and talked to the owners. He had a few rental properties and makes good money on them in the fall due to all the hunters who fly in from other states. He said he bought his last house for $6000 (maybe it was $600??) it was dirt cheap and he was able to rent it out and make good money. The founder of the USA Today newspaper is from Eureka. When he comes into town, people treat him as a redular old Joe. People were really laid back and friendly. If it weren't so stinkin' cold there, I would consider Eureka as a place for myself to live.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:11 PM

205 posts, read 729,171 times
Nanjosbrand, Is it colder than Sioux Falls?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota