Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 01:07 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,856,811 times

Advertisements

According to mapquest the distance from Hot Springs to Oglala is 48 miles. From Hot Springs to Pine Ridge is 64 miles. It looks like Gordon is his best bet.

uh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 04:53 PM

605 posts, read 2,989,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodntentions View Post
Prairie Winds is like, 60 miles from Pine Ridge the town so it's pretty far. I appreciate the help so far, they do have housing on the hospital campus but it's usually shared- like a room mate situation. When I sent ER doctors up there they never cared but this guy is Primary Care and he's up there steadily for a month and doesn't want it. He's just going to have to stay in Gordon or suck it up I guess.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions
Prairie Winds is only about 25 miles from the town of Pine Ridge. It's not that bad of a drive if there's no construction on 18. I don't know if any of the rooms have kitchenettes, though.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:33 PM

50 posts, read 165,641 times
You are absolutely going to have to go with Tribal furnished housing - if it is available - or look elsewhere. I manage a 168 unit apartment complex in Mission (Rosebud Indian Reservation) and my waiting list is over two years long for low income housing. My phone rings constantly with people looking for a place to live - they are Native and they are homeless. Pine Ridge is in worse shape than Mission as far as housing is concerned. And on top of all of that it is not a safe place to live - alcohol, drugs and gangs are at an all time high on the reservation. Gordon is a very small town, I don't know what kind of luck you will have finding something to rent there either. I'm afraid your doctor may be stuck with hospital housing - for good reasons.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,010 times
Wanted to thank everyone for participating here. I gathered the following locations to do further research on: Gordon (34mi), Martin (45min), Prairie Winds (25 or 60 mi), Hot Springs (64 mi), Oglala (112 mi), and White Clay (no mi). My team needs to be close to Pine Ridge where Raycen is working out of to coordinate housing and other business.
Meanwhile, where did your doctor finally settle down at? Regards.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:52 AM

13 posts, read 26,533 times
Possible to pull a trailer or camper and live in that for a few months?

Old 07-24-2012, 02:14 PM

I am not sure where you would fill up with water or dump your tank. Hot Springs has a KOA campground.

uh

Old 12-02-2012, 07:39 AM

4 posts, read 11,230 times
Hi Everyone!

I'm considering applying for an IHS job in Rosebud. As a native South Dakotan (not Native American) a 60-mile commute doesn't seem too far for me. We have a family friend who commutes from Rapid City to Kyle every day. If a person wants to live and work in SD, commutes are a given.

Now when drugs, alcohol and gang activity goes on in Rosebud, what associated crimes are involved? I just came from San Antonio and home robberies were occurring at an alarming rate there, even gated "safe" neighborhoods. So this is no news to me.

Any additional info on housing would be of great help. Thanks!

Old 12-02-2012, 05:28 PM

The state highway map shows Murdo to be about 25 or 30 miles to the north of the town of Rosebud. You would have decent housing to choose from in Murdo. You should also ask your employer what they think might be available. They are in a better position than anyone else to know.
The crime associated with drugs, alcohol, & gangs on the Rosebud would be the same crime one would find elsewhere under similar conditions.

uh

Old 12-07-2012, 12:52 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taava View Post
Hi Everyone!

I'm considering applying for an IHS job in Rosebud. As a native South Dakotan (not Native American) a 60-mile commute doesn't seem too far for me. We have a family friend who commutes from Rapid City to Kyle every day. If a person wants to live and work in SD, commutes are a given.

Now when drugs, alcohol and gang activity goes on in Rosebud, what associated crimes are involved? I just came from San Antonio and home robberies were occurring at an alarming rate there, even gated "safe" neighborhoods. So this is no news to me.

Any additional info on housing would be of great help. Thanks!
Please do us a big favor. Several times a year, we get a thread like this going. People are asking us how the job is, where should they live, how is the commute, etc... We do the best we can to explain what we know, but we are not doing what you are. Please, if you take the job, come on back and let us know how you finally ended up. Where you found housing, was it satisfactory, how was the crime rate, the roads, etc. Educate us so that we can better answer questions from future threads.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:51 PM

4 posts, read 11,230 times
Sorry to bother you. Will post something useful if I find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota