Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 01:09 PM

20 posts, read 66,970 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I received a speeding ticket on a Interstate highway in South dakota while driving a Rental Car. The speed meter in the police car was showing 98mph and the max speed on the highway was 75mph. The ticket is Fined at $225 and asked to pay my mail. The court is in Rapid city, South dakota and i have a Minnesota license and currently living in Memphis, TN.

Its my first offence since i got my license 3years back. Should i appear at the court, plead guilty and ask to reduce the fees / to not to add in my driving record? Or, should i pay the fees off. If i wish to contest, the date is in mid June & i am living in Memphis,TN and the court is in south Dakota. Is there a way to appear for court in MN / TN or contact the hearing officer of south Dakota court in other mode ( telecommuting etc.. ).

Also, if i pay the fine through mail to the south Dakota court, what will be the implications on my Minnesota license? I know that if travelling more than 100mph, the license will be suspended for 6 months. What will happen in this case of 98mph.

After receiving this ticket, i feel so down and not in mood to drive the car. Your insights & Suggestions please.

Last edited by mail4hemanthr; 05-29-2012 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: car type
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 01:24 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
I've been in a similar predicament before and there are usually options. Keep in mind that the "court date" is not mandatory if you either pay the fine, or contact a state prosecutor. They are more than understanding that SD is a long way from TN. Here are the usual options:

-Pay it, let it go on your record, and don't show up to court in Rapid City
-Contest the ticket, show up for court in Rapid City (likely to have it either dismissed if you have a good case or at least significantly dropped down), and waste a lot of time, money, and travel (always a chance of no mercy from the court too)
-Contact a South Dakota state prosecutor and have them drop the ticket down for you on your behalf and pay what they agree is fair
-Don't pay it, don't show up for court, have a warrant issued for your arrest

Keep in mind that there is ALWAYS a chance that the court will give no leniency to you and you WILL have to pay the full cost. Of the several tickets I have ever received, I have always spoken to a prosecutor and the ticket was either dismissed or at least dropped significantly. 98 in a 75 is pretty bad though. I usually go 10-12 over in rural South Dakota.

Best of luck.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:29 PM

20 posts, read 66,970 times
Thanks Danny.

I am thinking of Option 1 or option 2. I am just concerned, if its option 1, what will be the implication on my driving privileges per my MN license.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:07 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Ok. I see you started another thread on this . The speeding ticket will show up on your drivers record. If you don't pay the fine your drivers license will be suspended until you pay the fine plus a reinstatement fee. The suspension will also go on your record.

I doubt they will allow for teleconference for a court appearance. I doubt a judge will show you any sympathy for going 23 MPH over the posted speed limit. Again, contact the clerk of courts for guidance

If you were to appear the judge has the ability to add charges like careless driver, how does an additional $120 fine plus the $225 sound?

Generally when the officer issues the citation, the officer gives you a ticket along with a power of attorney form that allows the clerk of courts to enter a plea on your behalf and you do not have to appear in court. They officer has the ability to cite you into court where an appearance is mandatory. IMO your best option your best option would be to pay the fine.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:11 AM

I agree with SD4020. Just pay it an be on your way. I doubt Minnesota will have much to say about the whole thing because it occurred in another state. Your insurance company however...

I have gone between a South Dakota and Minnesota license, and I have had violations in both states. Neither state has issued me consequences based upon an incident in the other state. In fact, your insurance may not even be notified of the incident because it did not happen in Minnesota.

I say that because I once recieived a speeding ticket in Wyoming and my insurance was not involved because it did not take place in South Dakota where I was licensed and insured at the time.

Gosh, this post makes me seem like a TERRIBLE driver.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:17 PM

Minnesota will note the citation on their drivers history. It will show that the offense happened in South Dakota.

The insurance, well that depends on the police and company. Gee Danny, the last ticket I received was in november of 1995.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Gee Danny, the last ticket I received was in november of 1995.
Ha! Mine was like a week ago. I had a pretty good streak of no tickets before then though. What can I say? I'm a lead foot and I pay high insurance.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Ha! Mine was like a week ago. I had a pretty good streak of no tickets before then though. What can I say? I'm a lead foot and I pay high insurance.
I won't admit on a forum what my fast speed was.

I was stopped twice in 2011. Once in a black lincoln with loud pipes. I hurried up and shut the car off before the deputy walked up to the car. I figured that was ticket time.

The second about a month later was in my old pickup. I started from a stoplight in the valley and floated all the gears up into overdrive... A state trooper turned around on me. Again, loud pipes. I hurried up and shut the engine off.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:04 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
never got a ticket... 2 warnings, and I go fast, but usually just 5 over in populated areas. Around here there's a lot of farmers who go under the limit in town.

State highways and interstates have a fast enough speed limit (75 and 65) that I don't see the need to go much more than 5 above, though a good half the people pass me on the interstate, 85 MPH is reasonably common out here. Rural roads away from populated areas or towns with police departments, I do go 65-70 on them yes, that's about the only time I really speed. Above 75, gas mileage suffers. I can see why someone would want to go fast on I-90 through southern MN or SD though... but I can see from a safety standpoint why keeping speeds similar is a good idea.

I wouldn't be totally against higher speeds in the most rural of areas, but it's nothing I will lose sleep over trying to fit to bring into law. Gas mileage suffers tremendously at those speeds anyways.

Last edited by sholomar; 05-30-2012 at 05:19 PM..

Old 06-23-2012, 12:55 PM

41 posts, read 77,005 times
You play You PAY. Just pay up and take the consequences of your actions. We like the safe living out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota