Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 10:38 PM

193 posts, read 677,725 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if that's true, animals come around your tent.. a family member dislikes most animals of all kind unless they're at the zoo at a safe distance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 08:45 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Let me analyze this. You're camping in Custer State Park where the main attraction is the wildlife. Will animals come around a pitched tent in the forest? Very possible.

As Dorothy said; Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!!

OK, not tigers, but the lions and in the remotest of possibilities, black bears thing is a possibility as I've heard there have been some seen in the hills. The buffalo thing is a possibility too, but not if they're up high in the forest area. I knew some guys that had a retreat at the State Game Lodge years ago and the buffalo came around the cabins at night.

Seriously, other than mountain lions who are fairly prevalent there, nothing else that might visit her tent would be dangerous in the least. No grizzlies in the Black Hills. I've never heard of a mountain lion attacking anyone in a campsite. They're far too wary. If you're walking down a trail immitating the movement of a deer, different story. Rare but possible.

The main animal raiding a campsite would probably be raccoons. Coyotes are in the area, but they're so skittish that there won't be any close to where people are.

Last edited by jmgg; 06-20-2012 at 09:07 AM..

Old 06-20-2012, 12:04 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
I used to work in Custer State Park. The Buffalo are definately a danger.

Do you know what the number 1 most dangerous animal is in Yellowstone? The Buffalo have killed or injured more people than any other animal. They far exceed the Mountain Lions and Bears.

The buffalo are dangerous if spooked or provoked. Keep your distance and you'll be fine. Being in a tent is relatively safe if you are in a campground with little or no grass. The buffalo will graze close, and maybe walk across the campground, but they usually don't linger. If you open your tent flap and there are buffalo there, close it back up and wait.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:50 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,109,450 times
If you want to be pretty sure you aren't going to wake up to buffalo around your tent, daytime or nighttime, camp at Stockade Lake or Sylvan Lake. You are still in the park, but much less likely to have critter visitors. Keep the food out of your tent and packed into your car at night (including your coolers), and you will be very unlikely to have any furry neighbors come by.

Camping (especially tent camping) might not be the best option for someone afraid of animals...just sayin'. =)

Old 06-20-2012, 04:43 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Yes, it is a home where the buffalo roam, where the deer and the antelope play.

As far as tenting, never had an issue. Well, one, that is the freaking air mattresses... My back and joints hurt so bad the next morning... Usually stiff in all the wrong places.

The wildlife haven't posed an issue. Usually the fun stuff like bears and moose are part of my Bighorns adventures. Perhaps a rethink on the adventure, perhaps a cabin motel might be better suited to those who don't care for critters.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:44 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Yes, it is a home where the buffalo roam, where the deer and the antelope play.

As far as tenting, never had an issue. Well, one, that is the freaking air mattresses... My back and joints hurt so bad the next morning... Usually stiff in all the wrong places.

The wildlife haven't posed an issue. Usually the fun stuff like bears and moose are part of my Bighorns adventures. Perhaps a rethink on the adventure, perhaps a cabin motel might be better suited to those who don't care for critters.
My idea of camping is a 30 foot camper complete with refrigerator, AC, microwave, attached outside grill, inside restroom WITH shower. Ahhhhh ruffing it.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:55 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
My idea of camping is a 30 foot camper complete with refrigerator, AC, microwave, attached outside grill, inside restroom WITH shower. Ahhhhh ruffing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
........................The buffalo are dangerous if spooked or provoked. Keep your distance and you'll be fine.......
Indeed. It's been many years since I last visited Custer but 48 hrs. after that visit I read about someone who was killed by a buffalo on the wildlife scenic trail about the same place I ventured only a few steps from the vehicle to take a photo. Apparently they thought they could get close to the buffalo the way one might get close to cows. Turned out to be a deadly mistake. Upon reflection, I shouldn't have exited my vehicle to get a photo either.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:56 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
I think the fun experience you would have camping in Custer State Park outweighs the slim chance of a buffalo visiting your campsite. However, I wouldn't be surprised if I heard it happened.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:10 PM

190 posts, read 433,703 times
Don't overlook the little black & white kitties that stink! They like any place around water.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:39 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
I never had a problem with skunks in my life but two times on two seperate occasions in two different places in the last month I've suddenly had one come and start running towards like like it's going to attack. I ran back the other direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota