Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 11:28 AM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,218,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelley View Post
jammie or anyone who knows anything about Mitchell, SD
My husband has a job interview in Mitchell, Is this a town we would want to move to and raise a family? I read one bad posting about Mitchell. Are there things for the kids to do as they get older and is there a really bad drug problem as he stated?
I don't know much about the teen/kid life in Mitchell, the only time I'm there is when I visit my grandparents south of town a while. But I've always thought it was a pleasent little city. I have never heard of any drug problems therem, but I don't know. I would personally not like to live there, it's too small for me, but it all depends on your taste. I think it has about 20k people living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 01:45 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,038 times
Mitchell is fine. We've been here 25 years and our only personal experience with crime was somebody stole my brand new snow shovel from the back door about 15 years ago! There was about 7" of new snow, I got the shovel from the basement, set it outside the door, went back to put on my coat and boots, and came out to find a set of footprints from the street to the door and back to the street. Tracked 'em to the East/West avenue which had been plowed and lost the trail there. Man, who would steal your snow shovel? They must have really be stuck in a drift!

It's a small town with good schools, a small church college, a good post secondary technical institute, lots of activities, lots of churches of every denomination, community clubs and activities galore. Retail trade competes hard with Sioux Falls - 150,000+ folks about 70 miles to the east.

To find the good things available in Mitchell or any other community you have to be willing to JOIN IN and start participating. That's the secret to small town living - you make it what you want it to be. If something needs doing, start calling around and get it done! And get used to people knowing who you are, what you're doing, and being in a bit of fishbowl. It's not easy to be anonymous in a town of 15,000!

As far as neighborhoods go, well, it's a small town. There are spiffy brand new areas and older neighborhoods as well. You can drive all over town and get a feel for things in a couple hours. I echo Jammie - other than a couple questionable trailer parks and several "slummy" big old houses converted into multiple rentals by a local more interested in rental income than maintaining the property - by and large things are OK and stable.

Good Luck!

Old 01-06-2008, 10:10 AM

5 posts, read 12,938 times
quick question... how tolerate is your community to alternative lifestyles? I am interested in moving to your area; smaller cities appeal to me, but I'm concerned that SD's reputation of being intolerate of people with different backgrounds, lifestyles, and minorities in general. Can you please respond and let me know about this? thank you.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:40 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varissul View Post
quick question... how tolerate is your community to alternative lifestyles? I am interested in moving to your area; smaller cities appeal to me, but I'm concerned that SD's reputation of being intolerate of people with different backgrounds, lifestyles, and minorities in general. Can you please respond and let me know about this? thank you.
I guess it depends. If you are a minority, I say move anywhere in South Dakota! People are very friendly and open just about everywhere and they will want to know all about you. If you are homosexual, athiest, an artist, or anything that has to do with al Moderator cut: changed word different lifestyle you may want to stick with Sioux Falls, Rapid City, or Spearfish. These cities are more liberal and open to whatever it is that you do. A gay couple in a midwest town of 5,000 will probably cause some ruckus!

Sioux Falls, Rapid City, and Spearfish still have some small town charm in a more densely populated area. Spearfish is substantially smaller than Sioux Falls or Rapid City, but it is surprisingly liberal.

Last edited by Jammie; 01-13-2008 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: switched "different" for "Bohemian"

Old 01-06-2008, 01:08 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Quote:
I have a couple of friends who have an alternative lifestyle. I have always liked gay men. Somehow they're just so easy to talk to and be friends with. IMHO you should not have a problem being accepted or making friends, BUT I would definitely stay away from rodeos or bars with wannabe cowboys in them. That's where the danger would lie.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:17 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,038 times
By and large we have a "live and let live" attitude. Don't get in my face about things and I won't get in yours.

Last edited by windtimber; 01-06-2008 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: A more appropriate response...

Old 01-06-2008, 04:21 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Why is it being brought up? I don't run around yelling the I'm hetero. It's not a point.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:47 AM

116 posts, read 340,667 times
Mitchell is a lot of fun, especially in the summer. Your kids will dig the Corn Palace and the Drive In Movie!

Old 01-08-2008, 05:49 AM

116 posts, read 340,667 times
Quote:
There are actually quite a few gay people in Mitchell. Do some digging on the net and you're sure to find some nice couples in the area you and your significant other could probably form some bonds with.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:06 AM

5 posts, read 12,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Why is it being brought up? I don't run around yelling the I'm hetero. It's not a point.
You wouldn't have to, now would you? But to see a couple of women walking arm-in-arm down the street or sharing a kiss good-bye or hello may cause a few raised eyebrows!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota