Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 09:31 PM

151 posts, read 459,944 times

Advertisements

I have always wanted to move out west from Chicago, but it needs to be a small town, not another urban area. I was seriously consider western south dakota if I had a dome home built. I don't want to build any weak structure in a tornado-prone area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 11:36 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,720,624 times
Western South Dakota actually isn't prone to too many tornadoes. Our highest season is in June-July and we will get about 3 tornado watches at the most. I have lived in South Dakota for 18 years and I have never seen a tornado; not even once!

Eastern South Dakota gets a few from time to time. A really bad one happened in Spencer in either '97 or '98. That's pretty much the only time we've had a MAJOR tornado in my lifetime.

A dome home is very interesting. An artist from Spearfish is renown for having a dome home and painting globes. You must both share a love for spheres!

Old 10-22-2007, 09:39 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,858,110 times
I'm not trying to be negative but, have you ever tried to fit square furniture into a round house???

Old 10-22-2007, 10:05 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,456,952 times
Rapid City, South Dakota (SD) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Danny is right~if you check the above site, you'll see that the Rapid City area has a 53% LESS chance of a tornado then the national average. It's about the same throughout the entire Hills area. But yes, eastern So. Dak. does have a few tornadoes now and then. MOST of them are of the lower scale, but we have had a few F-5s, too. The Hills area has a semi-arid climate so tornadoes aren't a huge concern out there.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:04 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,077,816 times
I'm interested in the Dome home thoughts. I've heard a lot of good and bad about them. And UncleHarley, the walls are straight inside.

The thinking behind a geo is that air circulation inside is so good that it literally cuts your heating and cooling in half. But my thought is, why can't a person get creative and do the same with a conventional home?

Of course, the geo draws heat throughout the entire day, evenly. Not just the East wall in the morning or the West wall in the afternoon/evening. But that could be bad in the summer couldn't it?

Back on track. I lived in South Dakota, particularly Rapid city and the surrounding areas and I saw 3 tornado's from 1965-1972. The first one was in the Robinsdale area, came straight down Elm street. Was a small one. Tipped over trash, tore up some car ports, busted some windows with flying debree but really didn't endanger any person or any houses.

The second one was up by Hill City. Rustled up some trees but again didn't really endanger any life.

The third one was about 3 miles from Rockerville, over by the Methodist Church camp. That one was nasty. It took mature pine trees that were in excess of 100 ft tall and twisted them off at the ground. It dropped trees about a quarter mile wide and about 3 miles long. Course, it did that on the ridge tops, the houses, or church camp that were in the bottom of canyons were not effected.

But that was it. They're pretty small in nature. The one on Elm street, I watched from my backyard. I lived on Willow. Look at a map and you'll realize I was one street over. Looked like a big whirlwind to me.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:54 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,720,624 times
gussler-

Have you ever been to Roma's Italian Restaurant in Spearfish? They have a HUGE poster on the wall of an F5 tornado coming into Spearfish from the Black Hills! It is seriously one of the best photos I have ever seen in my life! What a rare sight! I'll have to find it and post it.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:20 PM

Please do Danny. I've seen a few in the Black Hills and I've seen several down on the farm in Eastern SD. But never saw an F5 in either place.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:38 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,456,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
gussler-

Have you ever been to Roma's Italian Restaurant in Spearfish? They have a HUGE poster on the wall of an F5 tornado coming into Spearfish from the Black Hills! It is seriously one of the best photos I have ever seen in my life! What a rare sight! I'll have to find it and post it.
Yes, that would be interesting to see. Please do post it when you get the chance.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:30 PM

151 posts, read 459,944 times
Default I am not interested in Geo

Don't confuse the Geodesic home, which is pretty much flat panels fitted in an overall round pattern with the actual monolithic dome, which is 100% round. This is the wave of the future. If I can have one built, I can live anywhere, even western south dakota.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGerardo View Post
Don't confuse the Geodesic home, which is pretty much flat panels fitted in an overall round pattern with the actual monolithic dome, which is 100% round. This is the wave of the future. If I can have one built, I can live anywhere, even western south dakota.
Now you give me homework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota