Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 05:38 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times

Advertisements

For those who have lived in both Central / Western SD and the South, which of the two do you prefer?

Also, are most homes air-conditioned in SD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 06:12 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
I lived in Pierre for 11 years. The river was decent. The winters were cold and the summers humid. My house in Pierre had central air.

Back in Rapid, I cool the house with a single window AC unit and generally open the windows at night. Summers are warm but not humid. It is far more comfortable out west. The hills and west are my preferred for many reasons.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:30 PM

412 posts, read 958,296 times
Summers west river are fairly hot but they are dry. It's like an oven as opposed to a sauna. Without the humidity it is OK. Mostly in the upper 80s to mid 90s, a few days over 100. Nights are cool so it's easy to sleep. Thunderstorms are common. East river is much more humid and sticky.

All of the houses I've been in have had A/C. I wilt easily and would not do without it if I had a choice. But if you don't, just open all the windows at night and then close everything up in the morning and draw the curtains. It won't start getting really uncomfortable until night is almost there and then you can open it up again.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:06 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,097,333 times
No AC here and last summer was pretty hot but my basement was the place to be...

Hopefully we will not have the same weather this summer...

Old 03-20-2013, 02:44 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,109,710 times
We live up in the hills, and I love it. It's warm enough to swim, but there's no humidity and no bugs (well, ALMOST no bugs!). And we don't have AC - don't need it!

Old 03-20-2013, 02:50 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Rapid has better weather year-around. Not as hot in the summer, but still quite warm, and relatively nice springs, falls, and winters with variable temperatures due to chinook winds. (breaks from the cold) Anybody who's lived there their entire life might take it for granted, but living in Brookings, I'm always looking over there (and just about everywhere else in the state besides Watertown for that matter) in jealousy. Recently their nighttime lows have been as warm as our daytime highs... we still have December's snow on the ground here.. in late march... with no significant rises above freezing forecasted the rest of this month. It's nauseating. It's prettier with less bugs as well.

Pierre is not bad either compared to Brookings/Watertown, however it's not quite as warm in the winter as Rapid, and can get quite hot in the summer. It's also a bit out there, in the middle of nowhere, and miles from the interestate. There's no reason to pick Pierre over Rapid except work, however with a good job, I'd be quite happy in Pierre, though I'd prefer proximity to a city at least the size of Rapid City in population.

Last edited by sholomar; 03-20-2013 at 03:07 PM..

Old 03-20-2013, 03:46 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
The first day of spring and it is nice and chilly today. I don't mind. I don't mind one bit.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:55 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,097,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Rapid has better weather year-around. Not as hot in the summer, but still quite warm, and relatively nice springs, falls, and winters with variable temperatures due to chinook winds. (breaks from the cold) Anybody who's lived there their entire life might take it for granted, but living in Brookings, I'm always looking over there (and just about everywhere else in the state besides Watertown for that matter) in jealousy. Recently their nighttime lows have been as warm as our daytime highs... we still have December's snow on the ground here.. in late march... with no significant rises above freezing forecasted the rest of this month. It's nauseating. It's prettier with less bugs as well.

Pierre is not bad either compared to Brookings/Watertown, however it's not quite as warm in the winter as Rapid, and can get quite hot in the summer. It's also a bit out there, in the middle of nowhere, and miles from the interestate. There's no reason to pick Pierre over Rapid except work, however with a good job, I'd be quite happy in Pierre, though I'd prefer proximity to a city at least the size of Rapid City in population.
Here near New Underwood we had about 3" of fluffy snow the other day and that was the most Ive seen all winter, it was gone the next day...

Out tilling the dirt and it is DRY here, windy and a balmy 43 degrees...

Supposed to be wet the next couple days but it never seems to happen...

Old 03-20-2013, 08:27 PM

412 posts, read 958,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
Here near New Underwood we had about 3" of fluffy snow the other day and that was the most Ive seen all winter, it was gone the next day...

Out tilling the dirt and it is DRY here, windy and a balmy 43 degrees...

Supposed to be wet the next couple days but it never seems to happen...
Hey, another New Underwood peep!

It has been bone dry. Wouldn't mind some more snow. We haven't gotten much of it this year over western SD in general, and much of what does come seems to skip around us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota