Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2007, 02:31 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times

Advertisements

Tonight at Dakota Wesleyan University, they are holding a "Freezin' for a Reason". You can put on as many layers of clothing as you want, but can only bring ONE blankie. Also, you need to bring your own cardboard box from what I understand.

It's designed to let young people realize how the homeless have to live in hopes they will show more compassion for their plight. It should also give the oldsters a reminder that we need to care for the less fortunate among us.

I do a lot of reading on here (Posting, too which is obvious) and am proud to say that our state is one of the states who is still compassionate toward the homeless. In Sioux Falls they scramble to find motel rooms when the Mission is full and I'd guess the same is true in Rapid City and other parts of the state.

There are areas of the country where the less fortunate are shunned, their tent cities are burned or razed and they're unwelcome. The last few possessions they have are buried or burned.

I think it's wonderful that the college is doing this and just wish it was a practice that would be used more widely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 09:44 AM

189 posts, read 564,502 times
rapid city has excellent shelter. delicious meals, even for low income like me. i have on rare occasions had to stay there and in other shelters. due generally from moving to other places and cant afford motels. cant stand noise,have bad heart,so usually move to keep from having another heart attack. in particular, those cars with vibrating "music" send people with certain heart conditions to hospital because it alters their heartbeat. some die. i died twice, but came back. i knew one woman who died and wasnt able to be revived. i went to louisiana in aug. and stayed at a women/children shelter. about 30 adults and even more children,some on way. meals were so starchy and greasy and almost always same,my lower face broke out and still hasnt completely healed. the things that went on, the noise ,etc was just about unbearable. i came back to spearfish,but did have a mild heart attack since being back. im a nomad, but will stick to camping for awhile....to the HILLS!! cant afford mt everest

Last edited by pejuta; 11-03-2007 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: typing errors

Old 11-03-2007, 11:35 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Pejuta, it's always so good to hear from you. I can understand totally what you're saying about congested areas and even the loud music that would disturb your heart rhythm. I like my golden oldies to be loud, but can't stand it when the drums are beating so loud people from blocks away can hear it.

It's good to hear that Rapid has good facilities for the homeless. We're not that well equipped in Mitchell and I don't know the procedure if someone would need to be housed long term. I know we have a domestic abuse shelter and also a halfway house and shelter for alcoholics and drug users. We also have a Salvation Army that does a lot for the community with furnishing meals. The Senior Center here is also a Godsend for older people who want companionship and a full noon meal without the hassles of having to cook it themselves. We also have Meals on Wheels for the elderly or handicapped. We furnish a motel room for the homeless who are passing through and meal vouchers so they can go to a restaurant. But as far as big scale like Rapid or Sx. Falls has, we unfortunately aren't quite there yet.

For as small as we are compared to those two cities, we really do make an effort at serving humanity though. One of the things that I like is the "Experience Works" project. It was formerly called "Green Thumb". If someone is 55 or older and needs a job, they find one for you and pay you themselves. You have to be below certain income guidelines and can only work 20 hrs. per week, but it helps a lot of people subsidize their income as they age. Right off hand, I can think of three guys who were working for them. They take care of cemetery lawns, help clean libraries and schools, do bookkeeping, etc. All three of the guys I'm thinking about right now were nearly 80 years old and still very capable of being productive. The problem is, not many places will give you a job at that age cause they don't realize you'll be a good, honest, hard working employee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota