Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 02:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,327 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! My husband is currently on the army. We really want to move to south Dakota on the fall. We are looking for places around Sioux falls. ( an hour or do away is fine). We have 5 kids ( oldest is 12). We want the small town, with friendly people. We currently live in Alaska. While its pretty here most people aren't friendly. We r from Pennsylvania and used to people waving hello as they pass, etc. we r also looking to buy a house. We want at least 4 bedrooms. Also would live acreage. Any tips, info would be great thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 10:57 PM
dpf

132 posts, read 316,199 times
There are numerous smaller towns surrounding Sioux Falls. Many of them are considered bedroom communities. All you have to do is travel I90 or I29 between 7:00 and 8:00 am to understand. You're probably going to have to visit the area and determine which community will best suit your needs. I'm sure the school district is going to be one of your major concerns. Don't let the size of the town affect how you determine the quality of the school. Many of the smaller schools are able to keep their student/teacher ratio at a manageable proportion. As far as communities being friendly, most of them are. But in all honestly how you are accepted will be determined as to how well you are willing you are to embrace your surroundings and how willing you are to become involved in the activities that available to you and your family. If you want an acreage I would suggest that you consider the expense of cleaning out driveways in the winter and the equipment that you might need to purchase. Also if you aren't on the county or state highway you are probably going to need a 4X4. Yes, people wave when you meet them on the road...really throws some new comers for a loop!

Old 06-03-2013, 11:10 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
All of the small towns around Sioux Falls will give you what you're looking for as to a local friendly small town feel with the exceptions possibly being Brandon and Harrisburg. I can't tell you the difference academically between each. I do know that Dell Rapids has historically had solid academics. When comparing schools, note that some in the area do a great deal of busing between towns.

Brandon is a much larger community with a school that's K-12 one of the largest in the state. You'll find lots of friendly people there, but it's size will make it a little harder to feel part of the community. The school seems to have a pretty good reputation, but once again, it may take a little longer to feel part of the school due to numbers.

Harrisburg is unique, but not necessarily in a good way. This town has about 4,500 people with 3,500 of them having moved there in just over the last 10 years. Even with all the population explosion, there is very little as to commercial in the town. With only 2 churches and 5 separate grade schools (3 within the Sioux Falls city limits), 2 middle schools (1 in SF), and 1 high school it's very difficult to blend in with anything. They just announced that they're going to build a 4th grade school in the Sioux Falls city limits. The town itself is very young with most adults in their late 20's, 30's, and early 40's. Academically, the schools have improved. It's a pure suburb. If you're looking for the small town feel and a small time school atmosphere, this isn't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota