Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2013, 10:08 AM

4 posts, read 9,969 times

Advertisements

In 1894 an ancestor of me, called Jan Lakeman born 16-02-1859 in Ilpendam, Holland married in March 1894 in Bangor. Brookings county in South Dakota with a woman also coming from Holland. Her name should be Maria Johanna Peternella (von) Vaadenburg. born 31-03-1869 in Amsterdam, Holland.
In the archives of Amsterdam the name Vaadenburg is not known, so I am afraaid it is not spelled well.
Is there anybody who can give me the exact data about this marriage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 10:18 AM

4,865 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaanchi View Post
In 1894 an ancestor of me, called Jan Lakeman born 16-02-1859 in Ilpendam, Holland married in March 1894 in Bangor. Brookings county in South Dakota with a woman also coming from Holland. Her name should be Maria Johanna Peternella (von) Vaadenburg. born 31-03-1869 in Amsterdam, Holland.
In the archives of Amsterdam the name Vaadenburg is not known, so I am afraaid it is not spelled well.
Is there anybody who can give me the exact data about this marriage?
My guess is spelling being the problem also. I think the last name should be Vandenburg for the wife, as this is a fairly common Dutch last name. Check the records in Holland using this name and it's my guess you'll find her. The registrar in Brookings County back then made a typo.

As to the spelling for the man, it's hard knowing if that was the issue.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:29 PM

32 posts, read 61,453 times
I am of Dutch ancestry & the spellings can be all over the map. The double A is common , but got shortened, as was "berg" & "burg" interchanged. I do see that there are Vandenbergs in Volga, which is just down the road....

Good Luck !

Old 07-08-2013, 02:01 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
I have a subscription to Ancestry.com and like to play with genealogy, so did a lookup
Jan Lakeman
•Birth: 16 Feb 1859 Holland
•Marriage: 31Mar 1894 - Bangor, South Dakota, USA
•Death: 1930- Alberta, Canada
•Parents: DirkLakeman, Niesje Beemster
Spouse: Maria Johanna Peternella Von VAADENBURG

From an immigration record: Jan Lakeman Arrival Date: 10 Mar 1894 Port of Arrival: New York Destination: Aberdeen, South Dakota Age: 34 Gender: Male Occuption: Farmer Origin: Holland Purpose: PermanantSojourn Port of Departure: Rotterdam Ship Name: Dubbeldam Ship accommodations: Steerage

We are hampered by the fact that the 1890 U.S. census was mostlydestroyed in the 1920s

1900 census: Jan & Maria J B Lakeman Living in Detroit, BrownCounty, SD with 3 children: Cornelius, Nellie, Morris. Looks like Detroit is just a cemetery now, near Sand Lake north of Aberdeen.

1910 census: John &Mary Lakeman living in Farmington, Day County, SD with 7 children: Cornelius, Mary, Morris, Dirk, John, Niesje,Arthur. Farmington is east of Aberdeen – so between late 1900 and early 1910 they moved about 33 mi se.
Important: On the 1910 census Jan’s year of immigration was listed as 1889 – 11 years in thecountry. So it is entirely possible that he arrived first in 1889 then went back to Holland and returned in 1894 - possibly to bring back a wife.

1920?
1930 died in Manitoba.

I don’t find any probable parents for Maria with a surname similar to Vandenberg in 1900 in Brookings County or BrownCounty, SD – but I didn’t read the entire state for 1900. So: perhaps he cameto America in 1889 then went back home to Holland in 1894 to find a wife or to specifically get Maria? If he was from or going to Aberdeen, why did they marry in Brookings County and not Brown County? It is interesting to note that they married right after Jan arrived in the U.S. (again?) on March 10 1894 - March 31 1894 in SD.

To do:

Perhaps the Brookings County resident who postshere (Stockwiz) would be willing to go to the courthouse there & take a look at their marriage record (should be easy: Just tell the clerk 31 Mar 1894). This should have Maria’s parents’ names listed.
Or contact the Brookings Co HistoricalSociety to see if they will do this for you or if they have copies of marriage records: Brookings County Historical Society PO Box 608 Volga, SD 57071 (605) 627-9149.

You need to read the whole passenger list for the ship Dubbeldam's February/March 1894 voyage to the U.S. This info is not on Ancestry – but microfilm is available on loan from NARA. You could probably contact a researcher at the South Dakota State Historical Society to do this: South Dakota State Historical Society

3) In Holland, research for her parents starting with a Cornelius or Morris Vandenberg in Amsterdam who had a daughter Maria and wife Maria or Eleanor/Nella.

Was Lakeman Jan’s real Dutch surname, or did he change it in America? It doesn’t seem very Dutch!

Last edited by 601halfdozen0theother; 07-08-2013 at 02:11 PM..

Old 07-08-2013, 02:18 PM

4,865 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I have a subscription to Ancestry.com and like to play with genealogy, so did a lookup
Jan Lakeman

From an immigration record: Jan Lakeman Arrival Date: 10 Mar 1894 Port of Arrival: New York Destination: Aberdeen, South Dakota Age: 34 Gender: Male Occuption: Farmer Origin: Holland Purpose: PermanantSojourn Port of Departure: Rotterdam Ship Name: Dubbeldam Ship accommodations: Steerage

We are hampered by the fact that the 1890 U.S. census was mostlydestroyed in the 1920s

1900 census: Jan & Maria J B Lakeman Living in Detroit, BrownCounty, SD with 3 children: Cornelius, Nellie, Morris. Looks like Detroit is just a cemetery now, near Sand Lake north of Aberdeen.

1910 census: John &Mary Lakeman living in Farmington, Day County, SD with 7 children: Cornelius, Mary, Morris, Dirk, John, Niesje,Arthur. Farmington is east of Aberdeen – so between late 1900 and early 1910 they moved about 33 mi se.
Important: On the 1910 census Jan’s year of immigration was listed as 1889 – 11 years in thecountry. So it is entirely possible that he arrived first in 1889 then went back to Holland and returned in 1894 - possibly to bring back a wife.

1920?
1930 died in Manitoba.

I don’t find any probable parents for Maria with a surname similar to Vandenberg in 1900 in Brookings County or BrownCounty, SD – but I didn’t read the entire state for 1900. So: perhaps he cameto America in 1889 then went back home to Holland in 1894 to find a wife or to specifically get Maria? If he was from or going to Aberdeen, why did they marry in Brookings County and not Brown County? It is interesting to note that they married right after Jan arrived in the U.S. (again?) on March 10 1894 - March 31 1894 in SD.

To do:

Perhaps the Brookings County resident who postshere (Stockwiz) would be willing to go to the courthouse there & take a look at their marriage record (should be easy: Just tell the clerk 31 Mar 1894). This should have Maria’s parents’ names listed.
Or contact the Brookings Co HistoricalSociety to see if they will do this for you or if they have copies of marriage records: Brookings County Historical Society PO Box 608 Volga, SD 57071 (605) 627-9149.

You need to read the whole passenger list for the ship Dubbeldam's February/March 1894 voyage to the U.S. This info is not on Ancestry – but microfilm is available on loan from NARA. You could probably contact a researcher at the South Dakota State Historical Society to do this: South Dakota State Historical Society

3) In Holland, research for her parents starting with a Cornelius or Morris Vandenberg in Amsterdam who had a daughter Maria and wife Maria or Eleanor/Nella.

Was Lakeman Jan’s real Dutch surname, or did he change it in America? It doesn’t seem very Dutch!
Nice Work

Old 07-11-2013, 03:01 AM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Jan Lakeman

1920?
1930 died in Manitoba.

To do:

Thank you so much for your rechearch.
From Canada I received a kopie of a bible with de full name: Marija Johanna Peternella van waar den burg, 31 march 1868, also with her mothers name: E van waar den burg, born 20 april 1836.

I have to search again in the Amsterdam archives.
Sincerely,
Jan Lakeman (Netherlands)

Old 07-11-2013, 03:03 AM

Thank you, i received today more details from Canada.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:27 PM

Hello to all,
at the site Ellis Island - FREE Port of New York Passenger Records Search I foud the passagengers information from the s.s. Dubbeldam, arrived march 10, 1894 at New York.
On the list were Jan Lakeman age 34y and Maria van Waardenburg, age 25y.
Now I am almost sure about her familyname and can I search for more information.
For this moment, thank you for your help.
Jan Lakeman (Netherlands)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota