Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2013, 11:11 AM

12 posts, read 131,347 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving from the bay area back to Minneapolis over the Thanksgiving holiday. When we made the move in reverse a few years ago, we drove through Colorado. This was in the summer, though, so we didn't have to deal with snow on the Rockies. I'd rather not have to dip down into the Southwestern states, since we are experienced snow drivers, just a few years out of practice.

It looks like we have three options: Taking I-80 to Des Moines, then a straight shot north; cutting up to I-90 at Rawlings and going through South Dakota; or going the northernmost route and missing Wyoming altogether - braving Montana and North Dakota.

Does anyone have any advise on how these roads/the weather will be during this time of year? We won't have a U-Haul or anything, just our car and cats. We can also take as much time as we need, we're not on a strict schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 11:47 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Without a crystal ball it is hard to say. Either route can be fine or 1000 miles of interstate could be closed. The thing to do is watch the weather for couple weeks before starting out. The forecasters have an idea of what might happen, then as it gets closer there is a best guess.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:43 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
I'd pick your route the day you leave based on the current weather forecasts. Being from Minnesota, I know you'll know to have fully charged cell phones and an emergency kit in your car.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:09 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,855,288 times
I can only second the advice that has already been given. I have driven both I-90 and I-94 thru the Dakota's in the winter. They can be either clear sailing or death traps, depending on the weather. Stay tuned to the weather and use good sense.

uh

Old 11-04-2013, 08:46 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
Stick to the interstate and go through Des Moines. If there is any type of delay due to weather, the interstates are the first to get cleared up. Personally, I'd be more worried about ground blizzards in Iowa and Minnesota than driving through the mountains.
When I lived in Minneapolis and would drive back home to Rapid City, the wind would come out of nowhere on the prairie.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Stick to the interstate and go through Des Moines. If there is any type of delay due to weather, the interstates are the first to get cleared up. Personally, I'd be more worried about ground blizzards in Iowa and Minnesota than driving through the mountains.
When I lived in Minneapolis and would drive back home to Rapid City, the wind would come out of nowhere on the prairie.
So, you're talking of taking I 80? Like Donner Pass, Colorado rockies, and Nebraska? It might be a dandy direct route and I 35 being a direct shot it is viable if the weather is good. However it is as prone nasty blizzard conditions or impassable passes like Donner.

Any of these routes are contingent on weather. Which is why we all suggest paying close attention to the weather and forecasts.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:50 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
So, you're talking of taking I 80? Like Donner Pass, Colorado rockies, and Nebraska? It might be a dandy direct route and I 35 being a direct shot it is viable if the weather is good. However it is as prone nasty blizzard conditions or impassable passes like Donner.

Any of these routes are contingent on weather. Which is why we all suggest paying close attention to the weather and forecasts.
Minor correction to your map. I-80 does go through Donner, however it never touches Colorado.

That being said, I-80 from Rawlin's Wyoming to Cheyenne Wyoming (even into the Nebraska Panhandle), is some of the worst Interstate, or should I say the most dangerous Interstate in the country. That stretch has more wrecks per mile than anywhere else.

Donner and Lincoln are really the only two really bad passes though.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 11-05-2013 at 07:58 AM..

Old 11-05-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Minor correction to your map. I-80 does go through Donner, however it never touches Colorado.

That being said, I-80 from Rawlin's Wyoming to Cheyenne Wyoming (even into the Nebraska Panhandle), is some of the worst Interstate, or should I say the most dangerous Interstate in the country. That stretch has more wrecks per mile than anywhere else.

Donner and Lincoln are really the only two really bad passes though.
Whoops. I hate it when I'm wrong.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 11-05-2013 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: I-80 changed to Colorado

Old 11-05-2013, 08:01 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Whoops. I hate it when I'm wrong.
Then I screwed it up to. I said I-80 never touches I-80. I fixed it though, I meant to say I-80 never touches Colorado.

A person really has to watch the weather and keep updated. The stretch I mentioned between Rawlins and Cheyenne, is nasty with wind, but a person can drive through there and never encounter any wind. Personally, if there was wind in the mix, I'd go North at Rawlins and come in through the Black Hills of SD. If there was no wind, I'd head straight through on I-80 as far as I could.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:59 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
That may be ture that those passes are treacherous, but I-80 is going to see a lot more upkeep by means of plow and salt than a non-Interstate route. To agree, it is all contingent on the weather forecast. Keep an eye the week before and if there's apossibitlity of snow really keep watch - forecasts change in no time out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota