Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 8,379 times

Advertisements

I live in Oregon and am moving to Huron SD, and just wondering what the town was like, good deer hunting, some good fishing holes, any crime, how is the houseing. Just basic info on the area. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 10:36 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,072 times
Huron is a city of approximately 11,000-12,000 people. It is about two hours from Sioux Falls (population 150,000) and less than an hour from Mitchell (population 15,000). The city is near some great hunting (west of Huron has some great hunting). The part of SD where Huron is in is popular for pheasant hunting, but I am sure there is deer huntin in the area. It is an hour or two from a number of lakes, which have fishing and camping opportunities. The city is next to the James River, which a major river in Eastern SD that eventually feeds into the Missouri River. The Missouri River, 90-100 miles away has traditionally been an excellent place to fish and for outdoor activities. Cabela's in Mitchell is not too far away and is a popular place for hunters to go.

The city is home to the state fair and is buzzing with actvity in late August.

Huron has very little crime and whatever crime it has is either petty or infrequent (major crimes). It is a safe community and one would not need to worry.

Huron has a lot of older housing stock, but has newer homes being built recently due to an upswing. The city has been in a slump in the late 1990s and early 2000s but has been doing better. This is due to a turkey processing plant opening and other economic expansion in the city.

The city has a SuperWal-Mart, K-Mart, a couple of decent-size supermarkets, the basic fast food restaurants, and a number of locally-owned restaurants. It has a hospital. It has a four-lane highway to Mitchell and is within an hour of Brookings (pop. 19,000), hour or two from Watertown (pop. 21,000) and Aberdeen (pop. 24,000), two hours from Pierre (pop. 14,000), and two from Sioux Falls. Huron is in a nice central point for other similar to larger-sized cities in SD and is not way out in the boonies. People go to Sioux Falls for shopping and major medical care.

I live near Sioux Falls, but find Huron to be a decent smaller city with untapped potential.

A good site to check is Huron, SD. Good luck with you move and welcome to South Dakota.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:57 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plains View Post
I live in Oregon and am moving to Huron SD, and just wondering what the town was like, good deer hunting, some good fishing holes, any crime, how is the houseing. Just basic info on the area. Thanks.
Huron, South Dakota (SD) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Hi Plains and welcome to the forum. The only time we go to Huron is for the state fair so I don't have much first hand info for you. But you may be interested in the link above.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:36 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,072 times
plains, how is your search for Huron information going for you and do you have additional questions relating to Huron?

Hope that the information is helpful and the move is going well.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 6,358 times
Default moving to huron

im considering moving to Huron in a couple of years after my schooling here in california. im majoring in criminal justice to become a corrections officer then move up to become a probation officer. i wanted to kno where the closest corrections facility is or jails/prison are, and how far of a commutte i will be lookin at when i move there.

~Aubrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
plains, how is your search for Huron information going for you and do you have additional questions relating to Huron?

Hope that the information is helpful and the move is going well.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:55 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,559 times
norcal, Huron has the Beadle County Jail.

Sioux Falls has the South Dakota State Penitentiary. SF is about 120 miles away southeast of Huron. The Mike Durfee State Prison is in Springfield. That would be about 115 miles south of Huron. The South Dakota Women's Prison is in Pierre. That's about 120 miles west of Huron.

There is a minimum unit in Redfield, and thats about 50 miles north of Huron.

Those are some of the major correctional facilities in SD.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:55 PM
dpf

132 posts, read 316,199 times
The trusty unit in Redfield is slated to close in the Fall of 2008.

NoCal-cowgirl....just sent you a PM

Last edited by Jammie; 05-22-2008 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 05-22-2008, 08:47 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
There's not much that I can add cause I didn't even realize there were that many places for corrections officers. I just wanted to say that Mitchell often has openings at the county jail for officers. That would be about 50 miles from Huron.

AND welcome to the forum.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:07 AM

19,723 posts, read 10,496,229 times
Huron....well, I live 25 miles south...the economy is slowly picking up, I was there, yesterday...Huron has been slowly building it's way back, the town has taken major economic hits, over the last 15 or so years...they have a good school system, both public & private, a variety of churches. Shoping seems/feels limited, they don't hav the variety of retail stores Mitchell offers, but the grocery stores are well stocked & competitive.
Medical services are in place, but quality is an opinion..
the city parks are well kept, the James River skirts the East edge of town...

Old 09-15-2008, 03:45 PM

2 posts, read 7,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal-cowgirl View Post
im considering moving to Huron in a couple of years after my schooling here in california. im majoring in criminal justice to become a corrections officer then move up to become a probation officer. i wanted to kno where the closest corrections facility is or jails/prison are, and how far of a commutte i will be lookin at when i move there.

~Aubrey[INDENT]
[/INDENT]

Hey, Aubrey, if you are considering having kids (which this is coming from a kid, sixteen years), you might not wanna move to Huron because, no matter what this site says, there's nothing to do and the schooling is pretty rediculous. Otherwise, if you want to, go ahead.

Last edited by Jammie; 09-15-2008 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: Please check your Direct Messages
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota