U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 12:23 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,403,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazysniper View Post
The east tends to be a little more left, but once you get past the river they get more right.
Very true. Not as left as eastern Iowa and parts of Minnesota. West River is more ultra-conservative territory and East River is moderate. A lot of Republicans I know in eastern SD are moderates. Most Democrats are conservative, Blue Dogs, in SD, which they may seem like Republicans to those from the coasts.

Eastern SD has some Republican strongholds. Lincoln County is one and has trended Republican in a number of races as long as I remember. I can remember in a mock election in school that over 2/3rds of the students picked the Republican candidate. Not a bad thing, but interesting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 11:01 PM

190 posts, read 374,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post

As far as East River vs. West River~right now the unemployment rate in several eastern towns is around 2%. West River has a much higher unemployment rate, but that will be changing in the very near future. As far as safety, it's probably the same. As far as beauty, I prefer the Black Hills area, but there are some very nice places over here, too.
Jammie, I wonder if the western part of SD's unemployment is higher because of the conditions on the Pine Ridge Reservation. That would surely up the #.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:37 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,857,592 times
Don't forget that a good portion of West River is also the Cheyenne and Standing Rock reservations. While the population may not be very dense in those areas, I can't imagine the employment rates are all that great. Does anyone know for sure if the reservations count into the numbers for unemployment?

Old 10-06-2010, 11:50 PM

26,921 posts, read 34,479,542 times
Doesn't unemployment rates get computed by claims for unemployment? If so long term unemployment doesn't necessarily factor in.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:12 PM

18,696 posts, read 38,317,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Doesn't unemployment rates get computed by claims for unemployment? If so long term unemployment doesn't necessarily factor in.
Yes. Unemployment is computed by current unemployed people drawing unemployment, along with people that are "Registered" and actively seeking employment.

Registered means you go to the UE office, register, go through some classes and then actively seek employment by checking with x number of employers a week, having them sign your sheet, turning in the sheet each week. Just like you have to do if you are drawing an unemployment check.

Should you just strike out on your own looking for work, and not register, you don't count.

Old 01-20-2021, 11:37 AM

309 posts, read 380,671 times
Update to this forum regarding illegal aliens. While I can't say they are illegal or not, I've noticed most of the roofers in the area speak Spanish only. I've also noticed more Spanish speakers while visiting the local Walmart and noticed a CO license plates on a truck for a landscaping business with Spanish speakers getting out and have seen Spanish speakers with TN license plates painting the local chain restaurant. That said, our Gov. Noem wrote to then Pres. Trump indicating she would accept more refugees in the state as well. We have relatives in Gillette, WY and visit them regularly since it is only an hour away from where we live in SD. I've noticed their neighbors are Spanish speakers and when we went to visit the local chain restaurant there were two trucks in the parking lot with Spanish speakers that left the restaurant and got into those trucks with Mexican plates. Having lived in S. CA, I guess I'm a little more aware of Spanish speakers than most on this forum. That doesn't mean they are illegal, but it doesn't mean we don't have a problem with them in SD either. I remember a few years back there was talk of building a huge ICE facility in Rapid City, but nothing ever came of it.

Old 01-20-2021, 05:49 PM

26,921 posts, read 34,479,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBorn View Post
Update to this forum regarding illegal aliens. While I can't say they are illegal or not, I've noticed most of the roofers in the area speak Spanish only. I've also noticed more Spanish speakers while visiting the local Walmart and noticed a CO license plates on a truck for a landscaping business with Spanish speakers getting out and have seen Spanish speakers with TN license plates painting the local chain restaurant. That said, our Gov. Noem wrote to then Pres. Trump indicating she would accept more refugees in the state as well. We have relatives in Gillette, WY and visit them regularly since it is only an hour away from where we live in SD. I've noticed their neighbors are Spanish speakers and when we went to visit the local chain restaurant there were two trucks in the parking lot with Spanish speakers that left the restaurant and got into those trucks with Mexican plates. Having lived in S. CA, I guess I'm a little more aware of Spanish speakers than most on this forum. That doesn't mean they are illegal, but it doesn't mean we don't have a problem with them in SD either. I remember a few years back there was talk of building a huge ICE facility in Rapid City, but nothing ever came of it.
The roofers are more or less “Gypsy” roofers. The come into an area where there is storm damage. They come in, roof a house and head out. No licensing, I am doubtful they’re paying contractors excise tax. They do a terrible job roofing a house. The two houses across the street from me with new roofs lost several shingles. They were shingled in the fall and the heat didn’t set the tar to seal the shingles. My neighbor was 13th in line for wind damage to the shingles.

Old 01-21-2021, 05:37 PM

1,695 posts, read 2,448,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
The roofers are more or less “Gypsy” roofers. The come into an area where there is storm damage. They come in, roof a house and head out. No licensing, I am doubtful they’re paying contractors excise tax. They do a terrible job roofing a house. The two houses across the street from me with new roofs lost several shingles. They were shingled in the fall and the heat didn’t set the tar to seal the shingles. My neighbor was 13th in line for wind damage to the shingles.

In Iowa we’ve had extensive and severe storm damage throughout my city due to the Derecho of 8/10/20. Due to shortage of contractors in Iowa, many places, including many condo associations in my area of at least 350 buildings, have had to go out of state to find contractors to repair from the ground up.

The contractor for my condo association is from a nearby state with an excellent reputation throughout the country. All of the roofers are Spanish-speaking only and supervised by teams within the company. They come from all over the country and the contracting company provides hotel accommodations, food, etc. they’ve been working from early morning to sometimes 9:00 pm. All I can say is for the last 6 months they have been working nonstop and nothing but professional, courteous, and very hardworking. Without them we’d be in BIG trouble. The repairs and work will continue for at least another year or 2 with $3-3.5 million estimated in repairs for my association alone. Everything must be up to code and is constantly inspected to insure that it is.

Our roofs were fairly new when the storm hit. The prior contractor was Iowan with an all-white crew and I had to call twice to get them to replace shingles that had blown off from an earlier storm.

Old 01-22-2021, 10:47 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,471,843 times
Holy zombie thread Batman!

Old 01-27-2021, 11:14 AM

3,516 posts, read 3,532,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Holy zombie thread Batman!
Lol! I know! I started reading the OP and noticed the date!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota