U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 10:17 AM

13,495 posts, read 35,882,359 times

Advertisements

http://money.aol.com/mortgage/safest-states-to-live-in

WOO-HOOO!!! We rated number six as one of the safest states in the country. Our neighbor, No. Dak. is number one. Oh and just for Elk Hunter, Wyo. is also at the top of the list.

This poll is probably not extremely up to date, but I found it interesting anyway.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 10:33 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,672,349 times
I wish that rape statistic would somehow go away.

uh

Old 12-12-2007, 11:10 AM

18,696 posts, read 39,736,065 times
With only 500,000 people in the whole state, stats are kind of funny.

We had a murder here a few years ago. Guy shot his girl friend. Paper come out and said, "Murders up 100% this year." Yeah, we didn't have any the year before, so one was up 100%.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:36 PM

70 posts, read 392,916 times
Erg....I wish they wouldn't write things like this in national publications. Riff-Raff can read too. Whenever I see things like this I think back to 1994 when Money Magazine named Sioux Falls as the best place to live in America. Soon after that crime started to go up. Now there are neighborhoods in SF that I wouldn't walk in at any time of day. Never used to be that way. I haven't lived in SF since 2004, but my friends back there tell me all the time how it's not the same city it was. Not that my friends are any gauge on this sort of thing.

I lived in the central part of SF (probably the worst area), just before I moved there was a drive by shooting in my neighborhood, no one was shot, but the house across the street had bullet holes. I grew up in New York and my neighborhood NEVER had a drive by during my 18 years there.

Could be my misguided facts speaking or my lack of the bigger picture, but I do believe that ratings like these can, in time, actually ruin a city or state.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:12 PM

56 posts, read 257,490 times
Like Uncle Harley says...wish the rape stat would go away, but I'm still puzzled by it. As a woman planning a move to that state, it is something to consider. According to that link, I live in the 3rd most dangerous state right now. Yikes!

No. 6 -- South Dakota

As one of the safest states to live in, South Dakota suffers from a shockingly high incident of rape.

Rankings in Crime

Murder: 40
Rape: 4
Robbery: 46
Assault: 46
Burglary: 48
Motor Vehicle Theft: 47

Old 12-12-2007, 03:55 PM

13,495 posts, read 35,882,359 times
Yea, I still haven't found any concrete reason for our rape stats being so high. Has anyone tried to check into it? Do they gauge is the exact same way in all the states? About the only rapes I hear about are statutory rapes. Do they include that in the stats for all states?

Old 12-12-2007, 06:52 PM

3,940 posts, read 14,087,875 times
Rapid City or "Rape-A-City" probably has a high rape rate due to the close proximity to the reservations. Sadly, there are actually quite a few homeless people in Rapid City as well.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:23 PM

205 posts, read 694,878 times
One thing that concerns me is the number of registered sex offenders in Rapid City. According to statistics from City-Data, in early 2007 there were 229 which is a population ratio of 271 to 1. By comparison, Bismarck, North Dakota, has 71 registered offenders for a ratio of 811 to 1.

Vivian

Old 12-13-2007, 02:46 PM

18,696 posts, read 39,736,065 times
There you go. Even registered sex offenders are folks that worry about burglary, and such. So they are going to congregate in the city's that are safer. They already know their offence, so they're not worried about that. They're worried about all the other things that can go on.

I mean, I'm just guessing here, but that would be my guess on why they congregate there. What I'm saying is that I don't think the offenses were committed there. That's where they live now.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 12-13-2007 at 03:00 PM..

Old 12-13-2007, 06:19 PM

56 posts, read 257,490 times
Default Snip From Rapid City Police Dept.

The first chart looks at violent crimes for the year 2005 and here we find the lowest Homicide rate is 3 incidents per 100,000 for Rapid City. But surprisingly, two other cities with only slightly higher rates are Seattle and New York! Rapid City also achieves a low crime rate in terms of Aggravated Assaults and Robberies with 225 incidents and 61 incidents respectively – basically unchanged from the prior two years. The next closest city in terms of Aggravated Assaults is New York with 335 incidents per 100,000 and in terms of Robberies is Denver with 253 incidents. Note that Miami is nearly off the chart in numbers of Aggravated Assaults, but it has shown a decreasing trend over the past two years going from 1200 incidents down to 1032 incidents. Miami also scores in the top 3 cities for Robberies as well, but note that its rape rate is much lower than Rapid City’s rape rate – 93 offenses per 100,000 – which leads all the large cities listed here!

www.rcgov.org/police/statistics.htm (broken link)

Would be nice to know if stats from reservations are included. Anyone know someone who works at the police dept?

Elk Hunter makes a good point. Do offenders tend to congregate in an area because of ethnic background or cheap housing or....??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>