Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 01:07 AM

12 posts, read 43,934 times

Advertisements

[

We are all born and have been givin Free Will. Are choices will always affect ourselves and others. It will either be positive or negative.

Unfortunately though, many people live so opressed, depressed and are in bondage of unhealthy lifestyles- they have no idea! In a sense they are "Blind" It get's very frustrating for everyone.

I personaly believe that we can only do so much externally, the work needs to be done internally- deep inside a person. As time goes on it is clear the "Blame Game" is not moving anyone foreward.

Peace and Love!

QUOTE// So I can't speak to the reservation life. What I can speak to is this: for 20 years I have worked with the poor, the downtrodden, the suicidal, the alcoholics, the domestic abusers, the children-having-children, uneducated people who populate my area. I have delivered 7 babies in my ambulance - all but one who were born crack-addicted or HIV pos, or both. I have physically held down drug and and alcohol addicts who were attacking members of their own family or police officers or themselves or emergency workers until they could be either arrested or have their wounds bandaged. (I am 5'3", 130 lbs). I have cleaned them up from drunken wrecks where they have done things in vehicles that were nothing short of mechanically amazing... and a year or so later, did the same thing again. and again. I have listened to them complain about how hard their lives are, how everyone is against them, how they cannot make it on their own. And my hubby of 25 years was by my side on the ambulance, doing the same thing. We. Know. Poor. We. Know. Suffering. We. Know. Addiction. We. Know. Disease.

And one thing we do know is that you cannot help those who refuse to help themselves. You cannot educate, house, medicate, clean, provide for, or ever fund people like this enough - because instead of taking up the challenge to better themselves, they sit back and demand still more, insisting that they are 'owed'. Know what? I don't owe them a danged thing. And neither does anyone else. It is called personal responsibility, and everyone is responsible for their own lives in a Constitutional Republic - even the descendants of slaves, even the descendants of murdered masses, even the descendants of the malformed, mistreated, abandoned, and abused.

My father in law would be angry and ashamed of his tribal heritage if he saw this. He got off the reservation, got an education, got a career, got the wife/kids/house with the white picket fence he wanted, without taking a durned thing from anyone. And his son my husband carried on that tradition. It is a much prouder tradition, much more productive tradition, and much more permanently satisfactory tradition than one of sloth and self-pity. And everyone has the ability to do the same thing - whether they choose to do it or not. Because that is what it all boils down to, no matter your heritage - a choice.

No smilies here. We have a saying in our family - if you want "sympathy", you'll find it in the dictionary, between "syphilis" and "s#!*". You can talk about the nobility of whatever, you can talk about rights and values, you can blame the gummint or your mommy or daddy or society or racism or even twinkies, but it boils down to this - each person is responsible for their own life. You decide if you will add to, or detract from, the nobility or respect that your race or your family - or even you - receive.

Flame away.[/quote]

Last edited by Jammie; 01-07-2008 at 01:24 AM.. Reason: posted wrong~Fixed it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 12:40 PM

190 posts, read 433,703 times
Butterfly,
Truer words were never spoken. Thanks for that great post.

Bob

Old 01-07-2008, 10:16 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,072 times
I also agree with your words, Butterfly. It agrees with my comments earlier in the post.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:16 PM

46 posts, read 116,745 times
To be honest, the blame game goes back to the days of Adam and Eve. Adam said it was the woman God gave him.
Again, I guess some people will always held to a higher standard in others eyes.

Thanks again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota