Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 06:04 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times

Advertisements

If you want to add something to your "to-do list" make sure you see Cosmos!
It's a mysterious cabin on the way to Keystone from Rapid City where you can see balls roll uphill, walk on the walls, pour water uphill, and see all kinds of strange mysterious phenomena. They have this thing that makes you shorter than someone shorter than you.

We took my grandma up there once and her earrings both popped out at the same time!

It's my favorite tourist trap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 06:41 PM

62 posts, read 200,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
If you want to add something to your "to-do list" make sure you see Cosmos!
It's a mysterious cabin on the way to Keystone from Rapid City where you can see balls roll uphill, walk on the walls, pour water uphill, and see all kinds of strange mysterious phenomena. They have this thing that makes you shorter than someone shorter than you.

We took my grandma up there once and her earrings both popped out at the same time!

It's my favorite tourist trap!
That sounds wonderful. We will have to check it out. It sounds like my kind of place. Was it commercially built to make things happen or is it just a cabin that was built and had all of this strange phenomenon start happening? I will have to look it up on the internet.
Les

Old 12-28-2007, 07:08 PM

190 posts, read 433,643 times
erosinspirit,
Just wonderin' if you have any "rock huntin" in yer blood? That is my #1 vice. Been at it for goin on 30 years now. Western South Dakota has the largest amount of different minerals than any other state in the union. It's "rock heaven" for us rockhunters.
Bob

Old 12-28-2007, 07:20 PM

erosinspirit,
To give you a look at a SD mineral:

Bob

Old 12-28-2007, 07:23 PM

And here is one from the area where you are moving to:
Teepee Canyon Agate, found 16 miles West of Custer, right in your neighborhood.

Bob

Old 12-28-2007, 10:47 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,923,510 times
Custer is a neat area of the Black Hills and is a neat small town. When I was a small kid, Finstones park was neat. For those with kids younger than 10 or those who like the Flintstones, the part would be neat to visit.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:01 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erosinspirit View Post
That sounds wonderful. We will have to check it out. It sounds like my kind of place. Was it commercially built to make things happen or is it just a cabin that was built and had all of this strange phenomenon start happening? I will have to look it up on the internet.
Les
It's actually a real attraction. The story goes that a couple guys built a cabin up there way back in the 1920s to have a place to drink during prohibition. The house turned out to be on this strange land that allows all this weird phenomena to occur. I'd bet that was one hell of a great place to drink!

Some people think that it's the site of the old axis. There's another place kinda like it in Russia too.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:24 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Quote:
It's actually a real attraction. The story goes that a couple guys built a cabin up there way back in the 1920s to have a place to drink during prohibition. The house turned out to be on this strange land that allows all this weird phenomena to occur. I'd bet that was one hell of a great place to drink!

Some people think that it's the site of the old axis. There's another place kinda like it in Russia too.
Oh you're kidding!! I didn't realize there was any other place like it.

Not sure if this is fact or not, but when I was a teen one of my friends had a super intelligent brother. He had told her exactly what was done there and it wasn't natural. For the life of me I can't remember how it went and that's probably cause I didn't understand it in the first place.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgoldpanner View Post
And here is one from the area where you are moving to:
Teepee Canyon Agate, found 16 miles West of Custer, right in your neighborhood.

Bob
Wow! Those are incredibly beautiful minerals! I used to collect rocks as a kid but nothing like these. I think that teepee canyon IS very close to me. I am looking forward to checking it out.
Les

Old 12-29-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:

That is an interesting story. I will have to check it out. There is a lot to see in the Black hills. I am looking forwarding to coming up there.

Les
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota