U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 03:21 PM

4,902 posts, read 3,651,463 times

Advertisements

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2022, 11:37 PM

10 posts, read 2,663 times
Anyone still around who could possibly help us on this same subject here?
Also I'd like to add in western Minnesota and northwestern Iowa.

Old 03-18-2022, 07:50 AM

11,816 posts, read 5,932,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskape View Post
What are the real differences besides SD not having state tax and more tornadoes?

I've been on both the SD and ND forums lately, and both states seem like they could be great places to live and raise a family.

There does not seem to be a lot of difference in landscape, etc.

What are the REAL differences?
South Dakota is not completely flat.

Old 03-18-2022, 01:54 PM

4,276 posts, read 5,953,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
South Dakota is not completely flat.
Amen to that. I don't know where people come up with that. NONE of SD is completely flat. You can go to western Nebraska and Kansas and even the eastern sliver of ND to see what completely flat looks like.

Old 03-18-2022, 10:19 PM

Where in SD has had the least land value increase in the last 3 years?

Old 03-21-2022, 05:54 AM

249 posts, read 167,629 times
Probably in the northwest part of the state. South of Belle Fourche & north of Spearfish.

Old 08-03-2022, 11:29 PM

Anyone know if there is a hardware store in Spearfish?
And possibly what churches remain there?
Many Thanks

Old 08-04-2022, 12:32 AM

370 posts, read 281,157 times
I drove up to Sioux Falls while I was at the College World Series in Omaha just to see South Dakota. To me it didn't look exactly flat. From the interstate, you could actually see long way away, like the land gradually dropped off towards the horizon. It was pretty.

I thought Sioux Falls seemed like a pretty typical American city. It could easily be in Texas or somewhere that's growing quickly. The most interesting thing to me was that they had two exclusive-looking country clubs/ golf clubs right next door to each other. That was different. Both looked very nice.

Some day I'd like to make it to Fargo so I can compare the two, and of course to Rapid City. One difference I noticed about North Dakota is that their main universities are in their largest cities (Fargo and Grand Forks) which are only an hour apart. South Dakota's universities are in smaller towns. I saw the turn-off for one of them but didn't have time to check it out.

Old 08-04-2022, 10:28 PM

99 posts, read 46,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post

Some day I'd like to make it to Fargo so I can compare the two, and of course to Rapid City. One difference I noticed about North Dakota is that their main universities are in their largest cities (Fargo and Grand Forks) which are only an hour apart. South Dakota's universities are in smaller towns. I saw the turn-off for one of them but didn't have time to check it out.
I'd make the trip out to western SD before Fargo. I think you'd find Fargo and Sioux Falls more similar vs Rapid City.

I was also surprised when I moved here that neither of the larger state U's were located in Sioux Falls. As far as college towns, and towns in general, remember that the 10th largest town in SD comes in at a whopping 12,000 people! Brookings (SDSU) comes in at no. 4, and USD in Vermillion (which I suspect is the turnoff you saw) comes in at no. 12. Sioux Falls has a couple of universities, but both are private schools.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_South_Dakota

Old 08-05-2022, 12:03 AM

6,546 posts, read 6,896,696 times
Handful of hardware stores in Spearfish or close to it. https://www.google.com/search?q=spea...9i57.12897j0j7

Churches https://www.google.com/search?q=spea...,trex_id:wLxup

Western Minnesota has some nice places. What size range? Crime rates vary from low to average to really high in some areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota