Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 12:21 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times

Advertisements

South Dakota tribe to open nation's 1st marijuana resort

Doesn't bother me; more power to them.

But do you think it will really bring in good long term income for the Santee Sioux?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 06:06 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,083,328 times
I feel pretty close to this story as a former South Dakotan living in potland (Colorado)

I found this quote to be interesting:

"The marijuana cannot leave the reservation, and every plant in Flandreau's growing facility will have a bar code. After being harvested and processed, it will be sold in sealed 1-gram packages for $12.50 to $15 — about the same price as the illegal market in Sioux Falls, according to law enforcement. Consumers will be allowed to buy only 1 gram — enough for two to four joints — at a time.

Want another gram? The bar-coded package of the first gram must be returned at the counter"

It really sounds like the Santee have thought this through and want to pull this thing off while respecting the wishes of the rest of the state. They could just have easily made this into a giant mess for South Dakota. These rules should prevent them from having the problems CO has with people illegally transporting to other states.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:48 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
The main problem for their pot enterprise other than contributing to their already rampant social issues is that it's illegal everywhere in the state outside of their reservation boundaries. These boundaries are REAL small as this is a dinky reservation just on the edges of the town of Flandreau.

If you get caught off the rez. with your "legal" pot, you'll get arrested. Just what the natives need is to add to each and everyone's rap sheet.

This isn't being made into a giant mess for the state. Everything will go on same as before their enterprise started with law enforcement arresting anyone caught with weed. The mess that they started is going to be isolated to the tribal members. Now that the kids will find it easier to get hold of their pot I'm sure that they will be so motivated at school (if they make it there at all) that their grades are going to skyrocket. We all know how focused and driven for success potheads are (nodding head in approval while sitting alone in a corner).

Whatever the after effects may be, it's all well and good since the tribe is making money from it. Profits make everything worthwhile.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
The main problem for their pot enterprise other than contributing to their already rampant social issues is that it's illegal everywhere in the state outside of their reservation boundaries. These boundaries are REAL small as this is a dinky reservation just on the edges of the town of Flandreau.

If you get caught off the rez. with your "legal" pot, you'll get arrested. Just what the natives need is to add to each and everyone's rap sheet.

This isn't being made into a giant mess for the state. Everything will go on same as before their enterprise started with law enforcement arresting anyone caught with weed. The mess that they started is going to be isolated to the tribal members. Now that the kids will find it easier to get hold of their pot I'm sure that they will be so motivated at school (if they make it there at all) that their grades are going to skyrocket. We all know how focused and driven for success potheads are (nodding head in approval while sitting alone in a corner).

Whatever the after effects may be, it's all well and good since the tribe is making money from it. Profits make everything worthwhile.
Did you read the article, it seems like they have some pretty stringent safe guards in place to prevent the situation that you describe. I would highly recommend taking a look into the details.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:11 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,727 times
In considering a move to South Dakota, I'm wondering how friendly, overall, residents feel toward Marijuana.

I'm a casual smoker. It helps keep the sanity in check and helps me sleep. I don't really use it so much to "get high" although I usually get a mild one which is nice.

Totally medicinal in my case, but I support anyone (over, say, 14) using it for any reason they choose. It's a freedom issue.

So how stodgy is South Dakota? I wouldn't expect things to be as bad as Utah or Oklahoma when it comes to Marijuana.

Old 10-31-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
In considering a move to South Dakota, I'm wondering how friendly, overall, residents feel toward Marijuana.

I'm a casual smoker. It helps keep the sanity in check and helps me sleep. I don't really use it so much to "get high" although I usually get a mild one which is nice.

Totally medicinal in my case, but I support anyone (over, say, 14) using it for any reason they choose. It's a freedom issue.

So how stodgy is South Dakota? I wouldn't expect things to be as bad as Utah or Oklahoma when it comes to Marijuana.
Young people use it, same as anywhere but it is NOT considered acceptable in the adult world and it is not legal in any form for any reason. Penalties in SD are also higher than surrounding states.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:04 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
While the use may be permitted on the resverstion, it isn't permitted in the rest of the state. Step off the resverstion with amount or residue you are subject to fines and citations. Also, if operating under the influence, you will be charged with DUI. Warrants may be obtained to obtain blood or urine like any DUI charge.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:18 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Did you read the article, it seems like they have some pretty stringent safe guards in place to prevent the situation that you describe. I would highly recommend taking a look into the details.
Oh give me a break on all the safeguards. Tribes and tribal leaders have been successfully circumventing all the safeguards put in place be the federal government to assure than monies being spent actually go where they're supposed to forever.

As of recently, the Flandreau tribe isn't even talking to the media after being contacted. The town just lost another police chief (wow is that PC to call him a police "chief") which it regularly does every year or two. Having his hands tied in enforcing the unenforceable with lack of any jurisdiction concerning native matters I'm sure had some bearing on him stepping down. He could see the handwriting on the wall.

For everyone whose response is that "you've never been around weed". I played in bands for 16 years when I was younger AND graduated from college. Been around it plenty. People using it are impaired and can be just as hazardous driving a car as someone drinking alcohol. Of itself, I don't see it as being particularly dangerous, but it's a small stepping stone from marijuana use to much more dangerous drug use that occurs more frequently than not.

I cannot believe I read that InchingWest actually states minors as young as 14 should be able to use it for any reason. Let's have some common sense here. We as a society are responsible to watch after the well being of our minor children as they develop both physically and mentally. I believe in freedom issues for ADULTS. Minors need direction and if it takes laws passed to do so which includes contributing to anything that is harmful to their well being, we need to do so. Drug or alcohol use in any form is and should be unlawful with the biggest punishment going to suppliers, ESPECIALLY if they're adults.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Oh give me a break on all the safeguards. Tribes and tribal leaders have been successfully circumventing all the safeguards put in place be the federal government to assure than monies being spent actually go where they're supposed to forever.
I never mentioned where money is going... I'm not entirely sure I care. And we shouldn't pretend that this is a uniquely Native issue as many local governments across SD and the nation are rife with corruption.

Quote:
As of recently, the Flandreau tribe isn't even talking to the media after being contacted. The town just lost another police chief (wow is that PC to call him a police "chief") which it regularly does every year or two. Having his hands tied in enforcing the unenforceable with lack of any jurisdiction concerning native matters I'm sure had some bearing on him stepping down. He could see the handwriting on the wall.

I'm not sure they have to talk to the media, it is their prerogative. I agree that it's a shame that Flandreau and the reservation can not come to an understanding on these issues and learn to work together... But I'm not sure that has anything to do with the resort.

Quote:
For everyone whose response is that "you've never been around weed". I played in bands for 16 years when I was younger AND graduated from college. Been around it plenty. People using it are impaired and can be just as hazardous driving a car as someone drinking alcohol. Of itself, I don't see it as being particularly dangerous, but it's a small stepping stone from marijuana use to much more dangerous drug use that occurs more frequently than not.
Don't bring your **** from other threads in here. Your experience with marijuana does not matter at all to me. I don't care how many bands you played in or what effects you might have seen. I like numbers. Please provide sources to back your claims.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicatio...a-gateway-drug
Quote:
I cannot believe I read that InchingWest actually states minors as young as 14 should be able to use it for any reason. Let's have some common sense here. We as a society are responsible to watch after the well being of our minor children as they develop both physically and mentally. I believe in freedom issues for ADULTS. Minors need direction and if it takes laws passed to do so which includes contributing to anything that is harmful to their well being, we need to do so. Drug or alcohol use in any form is and should be unlawful with the biggest punishment going to suppliers, ESPECIALLY if they're adults.
I'm not familiar with InchingWest but they sound like idiots. There is no reason to allow such young children (and yes they are children) to get involved with mind altering substances. I've seen many a student's potential wasted due to marijuana.

As you admit though adults of course are a totally different question and should be trusted with their own destiny.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:41 AM

19,723 posts, read 10,495,325 times
KELOLAND.com | Santee Sioux Tribe Suspends Marijuana Operation

FLANDREAU, SD - The Flandreau Santee Sioux Tribe is burning millions of dollars worth of marijuana intended to be sold in the nation's first pot smoking lounge on tribal land, KELOLAND News has confirmed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota