U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 09:23 AM

13,495 posts, read 36,101,467 times

Advertisements

//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...-per-year.html

Yup, what Danny said. The above link will take you to the Weather forum on this site. A member posted a very clear map about tornadoes. A huge portion of them that are in our state are East River though. Our state is divided by the Missouri R. and you probably already know that you'll be West River.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 10:07 AM

9 posts, read 22,415 times
Thank u for your comments...I have a lot of questions...For example...How to go from NY to Wall...Sorry for my "super" english!

Old 02-07-2008, 01:23 PM

18,695 posts, read 40,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha88 View Post
Thank u for your comments...I have a lot of questions...For example...How to go from NY to Wall...Sorry for my "super" english!
If you are driving, cross the George Washington bridge (I-80) and go West. Just stay on that road. When you get into I think, Illinois, I-80 and I-90 merge and become one. Then they split again, stick on I-90. Get off in Wall.

Or, if you fly, You'll probably fly into Rapid City. In which case you'll go East on I-90 to Wall.

It's hard telling how the bus runs, they stop off at every little town they think they can pick somebody up.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:51 PM

9 posts, read 22,415 times
Thank you, ElkHunter :-) We will think...
So...Wherever I go I will bump into these snakes...Won`t I? And what is rattlesnakes? We don`t have them...that`s why I`m asking...

Old 02-07-2008, 02:30 PM

1,821 posts, read 4,942,588 times
Rattlesnakes have rattles on their tales and are somewhat large. Basically if you hear a rattle, stay away. Rattlesnakes will mainly stay out in the wild. You will probably not encounter one unless you are doing sometype of hike out in the country and even then your chances are low. I'd be more worried about us crazy Americans than rattlesnakes.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:10 PM

RattleSnakes have rattles but when excited they almost sound like a buzz. They don't see real well and will strike more at infrared or heat. On hot days, they'll lay on the shady side of logs or rocks to keep cool. On cool nights, they'll come out on rocky trails or roads that are warm.

If you are hiking and you hear the familiar buzz. Stop. Don't move. Carefully look around to locate where he's at. Then look for a method to back away slowly. By that I mean, if you hear it to your right, don't immediately run to the left cause there could be more over there.

When you hike, hike to the sunny side of the rocks and well away from the rocks if you can without getting into weeds. Normally, if you are hiking it's good to kind of stomp your feet. They feel the ground vibrate and will start rattling at a greater distance and give you lots of warning. If you walk quietly, you can almost step on one before he rattles and then it's too late.

Wear high top leather boots. When a rattler strikes, it's normally less then a foot off the ground. So tall hiking boots are a plus.

If bitten, do not panic. The faster you move, the faster your blood flows and spreads the poison. Stay calm and seek medical attention immediately. DO NOT go by the old adage of having somebody suck the poison out.

If your going to get bit, get bit by an old snake. haha The older snakes only inject enough poison to do what they think the threat is. A young snake injects everything he's got.

Now, having said that. I grew up in South Dakota and rode for a ranch down by wall along the Cheyenne River. Supposed to be thick with rattlers. In the two years I rode that ranch, I saw maybe a dozen rattlesnakes. Never once close enough to be a threat.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:32 PM

3,940 posts, read 14,175,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
RattleSnakes have rattles but when excited they almost sound like a buzz. They don't see real well and will strike more at infrared or heat. On hot days, they'll lay on the shady side of logs or rocks to keep cool. On cool nights, they'll come out on rocky trails or roads that are warm.

If you are hiking and you hear the familiar buzz. Stop. Don't move. Carefully look around to locate where he's at. Then look for a method to back away slowly. By that I mean, if you hear it to your right, don't immediately run to the left cause there could be more over there.

When you hike, hike to the sunny side of the rocks and well away from the rocks if you can without getting into weeds. Normally, if you are hiking it's good to kind of stomp your feet. They feel the ground vibrate and will start rattling at a greater distance and give you lots of warning. If you walk quietly, you can almost step on one before he rattles and then it's too late.

Wear high top leather boots. When a rattler strikes, it's normally less then a foot off the ground. So tall hiking boots are a plus.

If bitten, do not panic. The faster you move, the faster your blood flows and spreads the poison. Stay calm and seek medical attention immediately. DO NOT go by the old adage of having somebody suck the poison out.

If your going to get bit, get bit by an old snake. haha The older snakes only inject enough poison to do what they think the threat is. A young snake injects everything he's got.

Now, having said that. I grew up in South Dakota and rode for a ranch down by wall along the Cheyenne River. Supposed to be thick with rattlers. In the two years I rode that ranch, I saw maybe a dozen rattlesnakes. Never once close enough to be a threat.
Thanks ElkHunter! Now I know what to do in case I meet a rattlesnake. I've only been close to one once on top of Bear Butte when I was about 5 years old. My mom grabbed me and we made it down Bear Butte a helluva lot faster than we made it up!

Now what do I do if I see a bear? Do I really play dead?

Old 02-07-2008, 07:51 PM

190 posts, read 403,116 times
Natasha,
I too welcome you to the forum. As said earlier, Wall Drug attracts visitors from all over the world, so maybe you may run into someone from your area. Glad to have you on board, dont be a stranger to this forum.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:58 PM

190 posts, read 403,116 times
Natasha,
I really realy really doubt if you will see a bear! They have not been in this state that I know of since the wild west days. Bear Country, south of Rapid, has bears for the tourists, however they are all enclosed. It is a fun place to visit and see all the little bear cubs playing.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:05 PM

We killed a bear up by Rochford about 1970 or 1971 and it was the first that had been spotted in years. They figured it wondered down from Newcastle area.

That was the year they'd had a big fire up between Newcastle and Sundance. Game and fish figured the fire had caused the bear to seek different territory. It was real gaunt and this was November.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota