U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2006, 07:47 PM

4 posts, read 23,937 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of relocating to Sioux Falls, South Dakota, within the next few years. We are currently living in South Carolina, near Charlotte, NC. Maybe this is a bit premature in collecting this information, but I want to make a well-informed decision. I've never lived anywhere but here, and I'm not afraid to say I'm scared out of my mind!

The major reason we are thinking of moving is due to the job market. I have a bachelor's degree in Business Administration and have found it extremely difficult to find a job in this area. Right now, I am commuting to Charlotte, which is about a 45 minute drive in heavy traffic. For this reason, I would like to live in a city with a more sedate pace. The city I live in has approximately 55,000 people, but with the proximity to Charlotte, it seems busy! I want a small town atmosphere, and though I've heard Sioux Falls described that way, I just can't be sure, considering the population is over double from where I live now.

My husband is working on his associate's degree in Computer Networking. If we relocate, it will be within the next two years, after he finishes his degree. How is the job market in Sioux Falls in regards to the IT industry, Computer Networking, etc? As for myself, I have experience in customer service, telecommunication sales, and inventory management. I'm hoping I won't have a problem finding a job there, but let me know what you think. Eventually I would like to open a small bookstore, as books are my passion.

We are a young couple with no children but do not enjoy the party scene. I find it difficult to meet people here in South Carolina, even though I've lived here my entire life. My friends from school are either partyers or parents so I even feel a little isolated from the people I grew up with. It seems the majority of socializing is geared towards bars, and that is not something I am interested in. My husband and I enjoy museums, concerts, football, shopping, etc. How does Sioux Falls rate in this respect?

I have had a difficult time locating information on neighborhoods in Sioux Falls. We would like at least an acre of land, if possible. My little family consists of two dogs and two cats so I would like a pet friendly community with a park for the dogs. Could someone tell me what neighborhoods I should check out or which ones I should avoid? Although my husband and I do not have children right now, we would like to live in an area with good schools. According to the information I have collected, most of the schools in Sioux Falls are rated above average. Is this an accurate assessment?

Those are just the questions I can think of right now! I'm sure I'll think of more!

Thanks for your help,
L. Kerr
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2006, 12:28 AM

13,495 posts, read 35,091,941 times
Hi L, I'm glad you're considering So. Dak. We were in SC a couple years ago. The Myrtle Beach area to be exact. We love that ocean. Unfortunately, I must have a terrible allergy to plants that live there or something cause I suffered through most of our vacation.

From the things you said about yourself, I'm not sure that Sioux Falls itself would be your best choice. Sometimes the internet info is a bit outdated and I believe that they now have a population of over 140,000. We only live 70 miles from there and go over on occasion. We like it there, but don't know if we could live there since it's a bit too large for us. You may want to check out the detailed profile of Sx. Falls and check out the smaller nearby towns. The living expenses will probably be less in the small towns there, too. I don't think there's a shortage of any kind of jobs in Sx. Falls. You may want to keep track of it in the Sioux Falls Argus Leader. I believe that Sx. Falls may be the most expensive place to live in So. Dak. Many years ago it was Spearfish, but I think that has changed. ANyway, I don't know the town well enough to point you toward any specific area to live. Again, the smaller towns would offer larger lawns or you may want to live a bit in the country. The ONLY problem you'll run into there is trying to get to work on snow and ice since you're probably not very familiar with driving in it. I will NEVER get used to driving in that stuff and I've lived here 51 years. Weather is something else you may want to keep track of. The past two winters have been beautiful and this one is very nice so far. But we can have some fierce winters here. Remember to keep the windchill factor in mind, too.

As far as other things to do, Sioux Falls does have museums and the Washington Pavilion. They have the South Dakota symphony playing in Sx. Falls often along with other concerts and entertainment. If you like the outdoors, be sure to visit the zoo and the Falls. Phillips to the Falls is very nice, too. Terrace Park is also a nice park to relax in. As far as I know, most of the larger So. Dak. schools are top rated.

Since I don't live over there, I don't really know what else younger people do if they prefer to not do the bar scene. We used to bowl on a bowling team, or shoot darts or play pool for fun. We also used to have a lot of fun playing board games or cards with family or friends. (Yea, we don't drink or party either. Not that we NEVER did. LOL)

I wish I could help you more, but you may seriously want to consider something near Sioux Falls or a smaller town here. I know EXACTLY what you mean about being cautious before moving. We've lived here our entire lives and in the future may relocate to be nearer to family and to be WARM.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:13 AM

4 posts, read 23,937 times
Thanks for the info, Jammie!

I'm looking into Tea and Brandon, which seem pretty close to Sioux Falls. The housing seems to be more affordable. I've looked on the forum and can't find any information on these two towns. Would the commute from one of these two towns be reasonable for someone working in Sioux Falls? I'm looking for a 20 min. commute in fairly light traffic. Again, does anyone have any information on the schools, crime, etc? Basically, any information is appreciated!

Thanks,

L. Kerr

Old 12-02-2006, 04:34 PM

Tea and Brandon would be good choices. They're both about 10 miles from Sioux Falls. Harrisburg is a couple miles closer to Sx. Falls then those two towns are. The only problem you'll have is during the winter. The roads can get very icy or snow covered at times and getting around is pretty hard. Hopefully someone will come along and can give you info about the schools.

As far as crime is concerned, we have a very low crime rate in SD. I'd venture to guess that Sx. Falls probably has the most crime in the state, but it's also the largest city. Rapid would be another place with crime.

I'm not sure if Brandon or Tea have their own local paper or if you'd have to check out the Sioux Falls Argus Leader to get info about housing there.

Good luck and happy hunting. If you have anymore questions that I could answer, I'd be happy. to.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:47 PM

23 posts, read 84,833 times
Default Consider this view

Hello,
I thought I should share my experiences about my stay in SD. I was in Brookings (50 miles from Sioux Falls) for my MS in Electrical Engg. (Image Processing). Sioux Falls is a great place to live, infact whole SD is good. The people are nice and Sioux Falls has all big city amenities (like Best Buy, Mall, Restaurents etc...) with very very very less traffic. Now the downside (which might be important in your case), it snows and gets cold to the max (probably next to Alaska) so no outdoor activities except couple of months in summer (it also gets very hot in July and August). As far as job scene goes there are very very few companies in Sioux Falls and whole SD (Citibank, Raven, Eros data center and a couple more) who can aaford to pay you competitive wages according to your education and/or qualificatons. In my case there was one more problem which might not be for you, as I am from India no one really was willing to accept me for any job even though I had all the experience and qualification (I am not overrating myself, I got the emails saying we need a candidate who is from SD or MN). So I left SD and got a very good opportunity in OK and now I'll be joining one of the top semiconductor companies in CA. So the bottom line is you need to set priorities if you want to seriously devote you time for your career at this time (as you mentioned you don't have kids) or you want more of a stagnant/steady pace in your career and life.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:50 PM

1 posts, read 8,307 times
I thought I would share a couple thoughts,

I'm originally from a small town in SD, but live near Dallas, TX. My wife and I are tired of the "rat race" and would like to move back to the Midwest. We are considering both Sioux Falls and Omaha. Even though I haven't actually lived in Sx Falls, I know a quite a bit about the city (My brother also used to live there).

Before you even think of moving there, I would suggest visiting. If you live near Charlotte, and have never been to the upper midwest, it might be a little bit of a culture shock. Don't get me wrong, I love SD, but it will be alot different than SC (I have lived in NC during my college years as well).

As far as the "traffic" in Sx Falls, there is none. I have learned to take everyone's comments with a grain of salt. Everyone's perspective of "big city" and "traffic" depends on what they are used to. My brother moved away from Sx Falls because he felt it was too big and too much traffic, but coming from Dallas, Sx Falls is "country" living!

I will say, if you are looking for a great place to raise kids one day (great schools, parks, etc.), low crime, etc., Sioux Falls or the surrounding area will be a great place to live. Also, healthcare is pretty big there. T. Denny Sanford just donated 400 million to the hospital. Also, finance/banking is pretty big there as well (Citibank, Premier Bankcard).

I know I have rambled on and on, but I hope that helps.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:42 PM

Dakotexan, I like your name. And welcome to the forum. IMHO if I were to relocate to either Sx. Falls or Omaha~it'd be Sioux Falls hands down. But that's just personal preference.

I just find it interesting that since you'd grew up in the Midwest and moved to Tx. that you would like to move back. I'd love to live in a warmer climate like you have down there. Is there anything about the quality of life that you prefer up here vs. down there?

Old 12-16-2007, 08:29 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,763,018 times
Comparing Omaha and Sioux Falls is a no brainer! Sioux Falls all the way!!! Omaha has a lot of really sketchy neighborhoods and unless you are past 156th Street, it looks really run-down!

Old 12-17-2007, 01:48 AM

2 posts, read 10,906 times
Move to Omaha. Sioux Falls foreclosures are sky rocketing, crime is up, murder and assaults are way up. Wages stink and both spouses have to work at low paying jobs to make ends meet. google southdakota corruption

Old 12-17-2007, 12:11 PM

87 posts, read 310,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Dakota foreclosures View Post
Move to Omaha. Sioux Falls foreclosures are sky rocketing, crime is up, murder and assaults are way up. Wages stink and both spouses have to work at low paying jobs to make ends meet. google southdakota corruption
I ran the Google search you suggested and ... didn't find very much. Do you have anything more specific?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota