Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 12:31 PM

72 posts, read 107,041 times

Advertisements

South Dakota is about to be the first state to restrict bathroom usage of transgenders. This is an interesting and touchy topic, so I'm not sure how I feel about that. However I can say that the average person in the locker room at the gym doesn't want to undress in front of transgendered people so there are multiple sides to this, and yet people need to be fair to everybody somehow. You at least have to respect SD for not going the terrible route of California, which will probably have gay kids showering with the girls in high schools and so forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 09:44 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themadpoet1 View Post
the terrible route of California, which will probably have gay kids showering with the girls in high schools and so forth.
Oh no, how shocking! Run for the hills! Showering together! What will happen next! Actually eating next to one another? Going to the same shoe stores? Sharing the same elevators? Drinking from the same water fountains? How will "girls in high schools and so forth" ever survive???

Jeez.

Time to grow up and learn what life is, and has always been, really like.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:10 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Simple answer: If you have a Penis you use the Men's room, a vagina you go to the Ladies room.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:35 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,083,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Simple answer: If you have a Penis you use the Men's room, a vagina you go to the Ladies room.
Businesses should hire someone to check.

This should be a non-issue. There is no reason to have gender segregated bathrooms in the first place.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:09 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Businesses should hire someone to check.

This should be a non-issue. There is no reason to have gender segregated bathrooms in the first place.

You can't be serious

Old 02-28-2016, 04:33 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
Oh, come on. Haven't you ever used the men's room when it is empty and when the line to the lady's room is really long? I have and I'm pretty sure most women have. And handicapped bathrooms are usually unisex.

A toilet is a toilet is a toilet.

Why not a bill abolishing the use of urinals (which are gross)? Why not a bill requiring a password to use any bathroom? Why not a bill requiring pay toilets again (remember those?)?

Seriously, WHY do people worry about such minor stupid stuff that can't really be enforced effectively anyway? I can't even imagine the condition of the minds of the people who think this bill is important.

The folks in Pierre surely have plenty of other things to think about.

Last edited by 601halfdozen0theother; 02-28-2016 at 05:04 PM..

Old 02-28-2016, 07:12 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,856,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Oh, come on. Haven't you ever used the men's room when it is empty and when the line to the lady's room is really long? I have and I'm pretty sure most women have. And handicapped bathrooms are usually unisex.

A toilet is a toilet is a toilet.

Why not a bill abolishing the use of urinals (which are gross)? Why not a bill requiring a password to use any bathroom? Why not a bill requiring pay toilets again (remember those?)?

Seriously, WHY do people worry about such minor stupid stuff that can't really be enforced effectively anyway? I can't even imagine the condition of the minds of the people who think this bill is important.

The folks in Pierre surely have plenty of other things to think about.
+1

uh

Old 02-29-2016, 04:39 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
I'm more interested in the fact they shot down the industrial hemp bill. Honestly who puts these people into power that vote down bills like this? Forget the fact marijuana shouldn't even be illegal, but to restrict growing of hemp.. it's like the good ole boys run this state.

I personally don't give the bathroom issue much thought. Honestly if you look enough like a woman to pass for one, use the ladies room. Who really cares what the law says? Use whatever one you want. If you look enough like a guy to pass for one, use the mens room. If you did a bad job and look somewhere in between, I guess that's your own problem. I used the ladies room last fall when the mens room was out of toilet paper. I don't really care.

If they use this law to make a seperate unisex bathroom and it's a one person at a time, lockable door, I'll just use that one. I don't really like taking a dump next to other men in public restrooms where there's such a large gap at the top/bottom of the stall walls, no soundproofing, just barebones setup really...

Last edited by sholomar; 02-29-2016 at 04:50 AM..

Old 02-29-2016, 05:59 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,083,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
You can't be serious
Why shouldn't I be serious? Businesses should be able to have whatever types of bathrooms they like. As long as there is a place to go who cares who else uses it?

Old 02-29-2016, 10:33 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Why shouldn't I be serious? Businesses should be able to have whatever types of bathrooms they like. As long as there is a place to go who cares who else uses it?

Unisex bathrooms, no problem complete with lock on door. Just leave the lid down.

This whole deal at the legislature has no bearing on businesses or situations like that.

It has everything to do with, as an example, underage girls or boys being legally exposed to some person with the opposite sex body parts and a confused sexuality as to who they think they are. Taking the position that it doesn't matter makes for dangerous interaction not only for the majority group, but also for the transgendered person.

In the obvious effort by some to show how progressive and sympathetic to any minority's plights many of you are, I believe that you're not seeing the potential for damage to the majority involved.

I can assure you that going to the Premier Center to watch the tournaments this weekend would be a real hoot if all of us (men, women, transgender, whatever) all got to enjoy each other's company in one giant walk-in unisex bathroom. We can have only stalls (no urinals) that way everyone can also partake in hour+ long restroom breaks waiting in line.

How about some unisex showers in the college dormitories? They already have men, women, and possibly transgendered students on the same floors. It'll be fine and nothing will ever happen since our kids have grown up from grade school on up sharing facilities with EVERYBODY. Incidentally, I had 2 daughters that "experienced" the brilliance of that dormitory arrangement and hated it for what would be obvious reasons to most people. Most the guys love it.

I'm glad the legislature is trying to address the situation. You can be assured every school in the state that has a kid with this situation is making strides to be as accommodating as possible. There will arise times when having hard and fast rules are necessary to protect everyone involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
View detailed profiles of: