U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2016, 05:55 PM

4,464 posts, read 2,638,523 times

Advertisements

We're tossing around a trip to South Dakota's Mt. Rushmore area? How much does the Sturgis motorcycle rally effect travel and lodging in that area the week prior or the week after the rally? The rally is August 8-14.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 06:54 PM

125 posts, read 116,663 times
As far as hotel pricing goes, in Rapid City you'll have a hard time finding anything under $300 a night. We came into Rapid City during Sturgis to look for housing a few years ago, and I was pretty shocked. I expected rates to be high, but we paid a little over $400 for 1 night at a Sleep Inn. So I'm guessing expect to pay 4 times normal price or maybe a little more the closer you get to Sturgis.

Traffic in Rapid gets quite a bit heavier compared to the rest of the year, but still relatively light compared "real" cities like Chicago, Phoenix, Los Angeles, etc.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:27 PM

26,042 posts, read 32,656,645 times
Wait until after the rally. You won't be hosed over as bad as during.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:38 PM

21 posts, read 25,605 times
Default Sturgis Rally

If you have never been to the rally and feel curious, don't let the thought of busy highways scare you off.

This year, the year after the 75th anniversary, seems to be drawing fewer reservations. While hotels are going to be pricey in the Sturgis area, try the southern Black Hills (Custer or Hot Springs, for example). You'll be close to Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park. If the hotels are booked, you might want to check out VRBO.

And, if you want to explore the Sturgis Rally (and you really should, a day trip would still work. It would just be plain old wrong to be in the Black Hills during Rally Week and not experience a bit of rally craziness--but that's just me.

Finally, keep in mind that although rally week is definitely the most expensive time to visit the Black Hills, hotel prices at the height of tourist season are somewhat high in general--especially compared to off-season rates.

Tijuca

Old 07-29-2016, 08:12 AM

4,464 posts, read 2,638,523 times
Thanks for your information! This is an area we really want to visit. I'm leaning toward visiting when it's not peak season. We do have a Harley but aren't planning riding or hauling it on this trip so the Sturgis experience is something we can to save for another year.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:21 PM

5,928 posts, read 5,418,746 times
Hi Lark!

IMHO, the best time to visit would be during the first few weeks of September, after the crowds have mostly left and prices have gone down, the weather is great, and the land is beautiful.

Whenever you come, make sure you drive through beautiful Southeastern SD on your way out west!

Don't drive boring old 90 unless you've had so much fun that you've stayed too long and have to hurry home.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:57 AM

11,802 posts, read 8,953,170 times
I have a friend in the area who offers her land for camping during the rally. Cheap!

Old 08-04-2016, 08:37 AM

380 posts, read 877,817 times
Wow, this year is going to be SLOW.... Last year was chaotic with it being the 75th. I don't need a hotel when I go up to the rally as I have good friends that live there. However my dad refuses to "inconvenience" my friends and wishes to book a place to stay. Well last year places were $500+ for what would normally be a $120 night hotel. It was CRAZY!!! I just looked it up and holy crap it is cheap! You can stay for under $150 a night right now. Shows that out of all the hotels in and around are only 60% booked as a whole. That shows you how slow this rally is going to be. Makes sense being the rally after the big 75th celebration.

Check it out:

https://www.expedia.com/Hotel-Search...491&sort=price
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or