Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 09:16 PM

236 posts, read 195,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazulight View Post
Cour' D'alene is absolutely beautiful. However, when I read the threads for the place the people seem a little less than happy.

I spent a couple of weeks in Boise. Nice place, nice river. Growing city. The place seems to have some Mormon influence. Not Mormon so much, just the influence. Mostly a good thing I think.

I also spent ten weeks in Oregon. For me, Oregon, southern and central Oregon, is probably my place to live. But, the trees! All those trees! I couldn't see anything for the trees! It was great to get back to eastern Wyoming and South Dakota and be able to see forever.

I would take a job in Rapid City in a heart beat. It is big enough but not too big.

But Pierre and Watertown are not bad either.

Cheers
Qazulight
I've been in the Treasure Valley area near Boise, Meridian, Nampa etc, for four yrs now. One thing I have discovered is that there most definitely is a large population of Mormons/LDS people here. It seems to be a generational thing. Another aspect about this fact is that people rarely tell you they are Mormon- unless you have a reason to discuss the subject. This is why, IMO, newcomers in Idaho keep posting on this website "there's not that many Mormons".....I am in a consulting/counseling profession and I observe there is a significant Mormon population. It is inclusive. They are friendly yes. But it is a very cozy connection and as a non Mormon, I am and always will be an "outsider". I dont say this to be rude or mean. Just telling what I see here and what my personal experience is. Is it offensive to me? No- it isnt but I often find that I have very little in common with many Mormon people in Idaho. I like the weather, the four seasons and ability to do city and nature stuff however, I am not convinced this is my forever place. Just another perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 06:41 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
South Dakota is like two states and two cultures in one -- "East River" and "West River". East of the Missouri River is typical midwest farmland; west of the river is more of a mountain west culture with vast grasslands/prairies, highlighted by the Black Hills on the far west end. You got farmers to the east and ranchers to the west, and that difference can be seen in the business community as well -- more relaxed and informal in the west. The weather seems to be a bit milder in the west too, drier air with cooler summers and warmer winters.

I'll let those who actually live in South Dakota answer the rest of your questions. It's been a long time since I lived in SD, and that was only a 6-month stint.
I'll add that both East and West River have some great people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota