Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 01:35 PM

22 posts, read 82,383 times

Advertisements

I am currently looking for a place to call home. I am 29 years old and single. I have 12 years Customer Service Experience and 4 of those years in Management and a degree in Computer Information Systems. I currently live in Atlanta, GA and I am from Canada originally. I am thinking of SD because of the low unemployment rate and I am working in retail and I would like a change. What is the major industry in SD? I want to start looking now since I have 5 months on my apartment lease and I would like to find a job and hope to move there then. What cities are best for jobs? Anything helpful I would glad to hear feedback. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 01:42 PM

5 posts, read 47,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingfwd View Post
I am currently looking for a place to call home. I am 29 years old and single. I have 12 years Customer Service Experience and 4 of those years in Management and a degree in Computer Information Systems. I currently live in Atlanta, GA and I am from Canada originally. I am thinking of SD because of the low unemployment rate and I am working in retail and I would like a change. What is the major industry in SD? I want to start looking now since I have 5 months on my apartment lease and I would like to find a job and hope to move there then. What cities are best for jobs? Anything helpful I would glad to hear feedback. Thank you.
If you would like a preview of what the towns in South Dakota look like - go to our Website, South Dakota TravelInfoMap As you can see SD is a beautiful state with a large vista of scenery. Our state is growing with leaps and bounds because of our low tax status and if you check with the State offices I am sure you will have no problem finding a job here.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:47 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
There are 3 major industries in South Dakota. Beef, Crops, and Tourism. In that order.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:06 PM

11 posts, read 59,535 times
And soon to be Bison, as soon as we get out there!!

Old 03-02-2008, 02:27 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
It sounds like with your education and previous work history, the best cities for you would either be Sioux Falls, Rapid City, North Sioux City, or Spearfish. These cities (esp. Sioux Falls and Rapid City) are home to some major corporations that your degree and history could probably accomodate.

Each of these cities is worlds different from one another too. Sioux Falls is South Dakota's largest city with about 150,000. It is on the prairie, has a humid climate, and closer to major cities like Omaha, Minneapolis, and Des Moines.

Rapid City is South Dakota's second-largest with 80,000. It is in an arid climate and it is laid on the foothills of the Black Hills which will offer more recreation than any other city in the state. It is closer to Denver and the Front Range cities.

North Sioux City is at the southeasternmost tip of South Dakota and is home to Gateway Electronics and other various technology companies. This may be the ideal place for you.

Spearfish is about 30 minutes northwest of Rapid City in the Black Hills and is home to some major calling centers. Spearfish is also a very pretty city and offers recreation like skiing and mountain-climbing.

South Dakota has a lot to offer careerwise and you just have to know what type of city you are looking for. South Dakota is pretty varied.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:47 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Yup, what Danny said. There are also several other cities you may want to research such as Yankton, Aberedeen, Mitchell, etc.

But as far as the major cities, that would be Sx. Falls and Rapid City. If you like flat lands, choose East River and if you like hills and mountains and waterfalls, choose West River. Right at the present time, the economy is better on the eastern side, but that will be changing in the near future because of several new things happening in the Hills area.

West River has a semi-arid climate so you won't have much humidity over there while the eastern side does have some, but nothing like you're used to down South. But don't be fooled because we can have very high temps throughout our entire state. Our record was tied last year and that is 120 degrees. The Rapid City area has much milder winters and that's something I'd take into consideration, too.

Marbett, what a fantastic website you provided for us. Welcome to the forum.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:16 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
Eagle Creek Software Services will be locating in Pierre and is planning to hire up to 200 people. It would be good to google the company to find more information about them. They are business/computer-related. There are plenty of customer service and computer information systems oportunities in South Dakota, especially in the Sioux Falls, Rapid City, and North Sioux City/Dakota Dunes Areas. Places to look would be the credit card outfits in the Sioux Falls, state government in Pierre, universities (USD-Vermillion, SDSU-Brookings would be good ones to check), and banks (some of the midsize and larger ones need IT officers/personnel). The hospitals have a need for information systems personnel.

Danny highlighted the benefits of the Black Hills and is a very good guide of the area. I know more about Sioux Falls. Sioux Falls is also a good place with bike paths and a nice and ever growing park system. There are a number of great state parks nearby such as Newton Hills, Palisades, Lewis and Clark Lake, and Lake Madison, which are within an hour's drive.

The city has a strong economy with a low unemployment rate and is affordable (relative to other areas of the country) with a safe and clean atmosphere. People are by and large friendly. They may be reserved but basically good people. The city has a thriving commercial area in the southwestern part of the city and has plans for a new retail hub in the eastern part (which dirtwork and building may start this year). The downtown is on its way up with revitalization efforts and a number of smaller businesses. There are lofts available for rent and some for sale.

Sioux Falls also has neighboring towns such as Brandon, Tea, Harrisburg, Lennox, Dell Rapids, and Hartford that offer small town living with convenience of Sioux Falls nearby. Most younger people stick to Sioux Falls or Tea, Harrisburg, and Brandon (those three are the closest to Sioux Falls and have a sizable number of people in their 20s and 30s).

South Dakota has a number of fine cities such as Rapid City , Pierre, Mitchell (great smaller city and Jammie will be a good reference), Yankton (great for recreation and close to Sioux Falls and Sioux City), Aberdeen, Spearfish, Brookings, Vermillion, and the list goes on. If I chose other areas, I would chose Mitchell, Rapid City, or Yankton due to location and the character of the communities.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:04 AM

193 posts, read 786,133 times
You might consider checking out some of the banks for employment--Citibank, HSBC, Wells Fargo, First Premier--they're all huge employers around here in Sioux Falls. Also check out Lodgenet and Esurance.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:48 PM

77 posts, read 250,761 times
Default Other interests?

Are there other things that you are interested in or would like to have available to you? As a young person who is originally from South Dakota, I'm not sure that it fits the bill for many young professionals. There are tons of great things about South Dakota, but also some negative things that keep me from returning. I definitely want you to form your own opinions, but make sure that you check it out carefully and visit before moving there. If I was to return, it would have to be to Sioux Falls or Rapid City, but even they are on the small side for cities. Coming from Atlanta, I feel that you would find everything there to be very rural.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:21 PM

4 posts, read 19,750 times
We have 2 parts to our state. East River and West River. (East or West of the Missouri River). East River's major industries are farming and Pheasant hunting. West River is ranching and tourism. West River is part of the beautiful Black Hills and East River is part of the Great plains.
The climate can be very cold in the winter, especially East River. However, being originally from Canada I'm sure you have dealt with that. Other than you job background, what do you like to do in your spare time? That could be helpful in deciding where you would like it best in South Dakota.
I live in a little town of 250 people East River and I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota