Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 09:59 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times

Advertisements

Just, SO glad that you liked it here and enjoyed the beauty of the Hills and the Badlands. They are both really beautiful areas.

Could you scan your pics and put them on Photobucket? You could post them in our "Picture" thread and share them with us. I'm a picture addict.

I read somewhere that the GC has built a glass bottomed area that you can walk out on and look down at the Canyon. I'm afraid of heights so it'd be scary for me, but I'll bet it's beautiful.

You just come back to our state and enjoy yourself whenever you get the chance. Positive people are always welcome here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 11:11 AM

338 posts, read 1,369,032 times
Talking SD & CD - Among some of the friendliest! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Just, SO glad that you liked it here and enjoyed the beauty of the Hills and the Badlands. ...Could you scan your pics and put them on Photobucket? You could post them in our "Picture" thread and share them with us. I'm a picture addict.
I wish I *could*! But... alas, in the loss of my current position (company for which I've been working has filed bankruptcy - add it to the countless other companies going under in this economic down-spiral we're experiencing), ...my personal belongings are on their way to getting packed rather than unpacked. At least that is my *intention* once I determine where I will be going, so I can pack what I will need! And having found C-D and become a member in just the past week or so... I am spending (investing?) I'd guess at least close to 10-12 hours/day if not more reading, reading, reading, communicating, sharing, clickety clicking - ... some of you know how *that* goes - and whew! I hope that within a few short weeks, I will have made my decision. (In part thanks to CD!)

On a side note, I must say that C-D is about the most helpful, practical site upon which I have "stumbled" this past year! Another one would be Find Your Spot dot com, but it is not the same format. No ppl!! And the p e o p l e here at CD are what make the site the informative site that it is! I am realizing that the more I share (however it is rec'd or not), the more focused I am becoming in making my own relocation decision. The thing is... for me anyway, as I find myself "visiting" each area/state which I am considering (the doors are open wide for me at this point!), and all from the warm & cozy comfort of my own home office with no greater expense than a cup of home-brewed coffee (or tea) and the $74.70 I am spending each month for Internet (and all-inclusive phone services)... *that* amount wouldn't even get me even close to what I am finding simply sharing and communicating with the now-countless CD-members I have communicated in just over one week! I am thoroughly impressed and had *no clue* what I was "getting myself into" when I created my little name... JustT&Me and signed up on this board! THANK YOU, CD! What an awesome creation of minds and talents! (And you can quote me on that!) (reps to CD!)

Quote:
... I read somewhere that the GC has built a glass bottomed area that you can walk out on and look down at the Canyon. I'm afraid of heights so it'd be scary for me, but I'll bet it's beautiful.
Wow! I'd be a *little* bit nervous stepping out on that thing! Eek! If you want to "get your feet wet," so to speak, try visiting any of the following:

Toronto's CN Tower:
- - Google Maps
(Pick a link.)

Chicago's Sears Tower:
Sears Tower + Chicago - Google Search
(Pick a link.)

Or even Wisconsin's House on the Rock in Spring Green, WI:
House on the Rock - The Resort l The Attraction l The Inn (Direct Link)

And here's a link for the reference you had provided:

FOXNews.com - Glass-Bottom Deck 4,000 Feet Above Grand Canyon Floor Unveiled - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News

Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
You just come back to our state and enjoy yourself whenever you get the chance. Positive people are always welcome here.
THANK YOU! This is such a nice change of pace... I was on a couple of other threads where a couple of the folks there were simply not as appreciative and/or welcoming. If I ever find myself nearing SD, you can bet, I'll probably turn some detour to stop and take another look around! And thank you for the invite!

Old 03-08-2008, 06:10 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times
I have to say - that my cousin is the same age as I (50) and she is one of those annual "Sturgis bikers". She comes up every year from Phoenix, and the wildest thing she ever did was last year when she got a "tramp stamp" tattoo! LOL We used to be bikers til hubby hurt his back (had a chopper!) and most biker groups nowadays are totally committed to improving lives for others, growing their groups, having "Poker Runs" to help local families who have lost money or had devastating diseases. My daughter is the secretary of the local "Star" biker group, and my stepson is the President. They ride every weekend - and usually for Relay for Life or some other organization to raise money. I am an Honorary member of "Rolling Thunder" in Myrtle Beach, who helps organize that bike rally. They are a great group of folks, mostly veterans, who police the streets and do bike runs for things like "Operation Helmet" that provided over $150,000 last year for upgrades to the helmets that our troops wear in Iraq and Afghanistan.

If you are ever in trouble, scared, or need help, a biker is the one to ask! JMHO!

Last edited by SCGranny; 03-08-2008 at 06:25 AM..

Old 03-08-2008, 09:07 AM

46 posts, read 116,729 times
Default windy

SD is a windy state. I like the wind, keeps the bugs off and the air moving, helping with what humidity we have here in this place. You just gotta dress warmer in the winter otherwise, it can and will be deadly.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:56 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
WELL, the wind is one of the few things I don't like about our state. The wind and the cold and the snow top my list of enemies.

SC, you're right about the bikers. They are always doing something helpful to others around here, too. AND the Patriot Guard is something else that is totally awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota