Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 03:23 PM

39 posts, read 109,597 times

Advertisements

Any ideas on preferred retirement cities in SD?
Such as Rapid City or Sioux Falls? Or are smaller towns preferred by retirees there?

Are there any subdivisions for age 55 and better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 03:31 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,408,855 times
The Black Hills are a big retirement area... My parents are actually considering it... I don't think people retire right in Rapid City or Sioux Falls. Rapid City and Sioux Falls are more progressive, with younger people, and new jobs. I think most retirees just want scenery and quiet...and that is what they find in the Black Hills. I'm not familiar with specific areas out there.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:40 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,713,261 times
Tons of people retire to the Black Hills. Most of them come from California, Washington State, or Colorado. Like said above, I don't think many retirees live in Rapid City but they live just outside of town or up in the mountains.

For Rapid City retirement subdivisions I recommend Westhills Village. They offer everything from nursing home care, assisted living, senior apartments, and senior villas. I live pretty close to 'The Villas at Westhills' and they are really nice condos.

Also try Harmony Heights. They have great views. Some others are Sandstone Ridge and Holiday Hills. They are built on the greens of Arrowhead Country Club so they're pretty spendy.

Any more questions feel free!

Old 03-17-2008, 07:10 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,437,836 times
The Hills are would be the preferred choice for most people.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:53 PM

39 posts, read 109,597 times
Thanks to all for the information.

I found the Westhills via Google. Looks real nice but I bet the monthly fees are high. Where we live now is similar in that it is age restricted. That makes it quiet.

If at some point we decide to leave CO, we would look at the Black Hills. Here on the Western slope it is affordable and the weather is nice but population growth is a negative and the over crowding will eventually drive us away.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:40 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,713,261 times
I have always heard that Colorado was nice until the Californians discovered it. Hope the same thing doesn't happen here in the Black Hills!

Old 03-18-2008, 07:46 PM

190 posts, read 433,596 times
I have read many questions about people wanting to retire in this area, wanting to vacation here or just wanting to visit to see what it is like. One thing that would help considerably in answering these inquiries is if they would fill out their public profile completely. What do you like to do, what are your interests, how about your hobbies? If we knew this information, we here in South Dakota could much better answer your questions. Myself, I am totally into rocks and minerals, gold panning and metal detecting. When I asked the questions nearly 18 years ago, I decided Rapid City was the area for me. I am still here with no plans on leaving. This is a Rock Hunters Paradise, hundreds of miles of creeks to pan and a tremendous amount of Ghost Towns to metal detect. The public profile questionaire, found me a home area that I love.

Bob

Old 03-18-2008, 08:25 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,408,855 times
I agree somewhat, sdgoldpanner... Its hard to fill out public profiles....especially if you don't have an exclusive hobby to tell about.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:11 AM

38 posts, read 239,349 times
Having grown up in SD, spent time in both areas, SF and the Hills, there's a good reason the Hills are labelled the "Banana Belt," and SF isn't!

Old 03-19-2008, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 12,161 times
Have you considered Pierre? Great little town, State Capital, Lake Oahe and some nice new developments. Not near the tourist traffic that the Black Hills has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota