Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 08:00 AM

38 posts, read 55,808 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family and I may potentially be moving to Vermillion - pending a job offer for my husband.

I'm a bit nervous about the size of the town. We are used to living in larger towns/cities.

We have 3 very active young kids. Are there sporting activities/clubs for young kids to get involved in? Or do families travel to neighboring towns?

What do people do for fun in the town (not college students)?

I've been searching the internet but not having much luck with rental information. Are there a good quantity of rental houses (in good condition) available?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 08:33 AM

50 posts, read 91,145 times
Include Yankton in your housing search. Larger town with more housing options. 26 miles from Vermillion. both are nice towns.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:53 AM

4,859 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowers02 View Post
Hi,

My family and I may potentially be moving to Vermillion - pending a job offer for my husband.

I'm a bit nervous about the size of the town. We are used to living in larger towns/cities.

We have 3 very active young kids. Are there sporting activities/clubs for young kids to get involved in? Or do families travel to neighboring towns?

I've been searching the internet but not having much luck with rental information. Are there a good quantity of rental houses (in good condition) available?

Thanks in advance.

There's 10,000 people in town. Granted this counts the students living off campus, but it's still a fair sized town by South Dakota AND North Dakota standards. The school has had a very good tradition when it comes to high school accolades. With the bonus of having the university there this adds up to many activities not available in most towns. Trust me, your kids can be as involved as you have time to take them. Besides, Vermillion is located only 25 miles from Yankton (Pop. approx. 15,000), about 30 miles from Sioux City (Pop. around 100,000), and less than 50 miles from Sioux Falls (Pop. around 190,000). Pretty easy commutes for more entertainment.

Naturally you have lots of college activities that the public can attend that aren't available to enjoy in most towns. Eating places with nice amenities are pretty limited. As you might guess plenty of eating establishments that aren't on the higher end. The Missouri River runs by the town providing fishing, picnicking, and some limited boating although a better place to go for that is to take the drive to Yankton and Gavins Point Dam/Lewis & Clark Lake. Wonderful setup there.

This is going to be your biggest problem. Finding affordable rentals in this town is very difficult because of the University. When you have over 10,000 students in a town of 10,000 that correspondence does not bode well for those looking for housing. DO NOT WAIT in your quest for finding a rental. Don't wait until summer if you can help it. Now is the best time to find housing in that town as landlords find out who's moving out and not coming back for next fall. You might look into Yankton or even Elk Point as well. Good luck and GO YOTES!!!

Old 04-09-2018, 03:26 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
I live near Vermillion, and chose the area as my retirement location for many, many reasons. I LOVE it here!

Vermillion is the perfect town. It is safe, walkable, economically healthy, friendly, diverse, affordable, and there are TONS of things to do.

The University Wellness Center (eg gym, pool and exercise center) is open to everyone who lives in Vermillion: Wellness Center | USD Get a family pass and come have fun!

The newly renovated city swimming pool/aquatics center just opened last summer. It's fancy! You see kids walking and biking there all summer.

In fact, you see kids out and about town riding their bikes and walking everywhere. In fact, people of all ages all over town walk everywhere. It is a walkable town in the true old fashioned sense.

There are TONS of things for kids to do. The local kids robotics club just won a NATIONAL competition, competing with kids from huge cities all over the country. The public library is excellent, and has lots children's programming year round. Here's a link to their kids activities: http://vermillionpubliclibrary.org/kids/ There is an arts center with lots of kids activities. There are 2 active museums with programs for children. The Tanagers (high school teams) are always in the news competing in basketball and other sports. There's boating and fishing and hiking around the Missouri and Vermillion rivers. Yes, people canoe and kayak on both rivers! (Be aware that the Missouri can be quite dangerous, though.) There's a group working on developing a long hiking trail from town to the river and across the bridge to Nebraska. The Sierra Club has an active local group. The local movie theater (run as a non-profit) brings in first run movies, and is newly renovated with very comfortable seating! Here's the link to the city Parks and Rec department: http://www.vermillionparksandrec.com/ Here's a link to info about the Dakota Dome, the University sporting arena: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DakotaDome

The University brings in lots of sporting events, lectures, theater, films, music and etc. that community members can attend. If your family is into sports you can go to university level games all year round.

There's an excellent farmer's market, and a CSA.

Also, as mentioned earlier, it's an easy drive to both Sioux Falls and Sioux City for bigger city things to do. Lots of people in this area commute to work to both of these cities every day. Omaha is only a 2 hr drive. Minneapolis is only 4 - 5 hrs away (depending on where you're going.)

I wouldn't live in Yankton, if I were you. Yankton has the area big box shopping and has some interesting historic sections and some nice neighborhoods, but it's . . . definitely not the same quality community as Vermillion.

Here's the secret to finding housing in Vermillion: DON'T use the national real estate websites like Realtor, Zillow, and etc.

DO go directly to the websites for the local realtors to find both rentals and properties that are for sale. There's Maloney http://www.realestatemaloney.com/ , Premier http://www.premierrealestateltd.com/ , and Dakota https://dakotarealty.com/ . I worked with Maloney, and they were great.

To find rental housing, take a look at the Facebook group called Vermillion, South Dakota Rentals: https://www.facebook.com/groups/225116711262447/

There is a brand new neighborhood, called "Bliss Point", in which active building is occurring - you could plan and design your own new home and work with one of the local builders to create just what you want!

The only places in Vermillion to avoid for housing are the mobile home parks - some of them are pretty slummy. The one on the far west side (Westgate) isn't bad, though. And you probably want to avoid any rental right near the University to avoid student partying noise. And to be honest I looked at some rentals owned by Dakota Realty and was shocked by the condition, so maybe avoid that. There are several brand new townhouses that look nice. In fact, I think there has recently been overbuilding of apartments/townhouses in Vermillion recently, so prices aren't bad at all.

Well, there you have it! If you have any more questions, feel free to DM me.

Last edited by 601halfdozen0theother; 04-09-2018 at 04:14 PM..

Old 04-15-2018, 10:19 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
I took a trip last fall looking at all four of the Major state schools in the two Dakotas. I thought Vermillion was charming. Seemed like a perfect place to raise kids. Much more so than Brookings, Fargo or Grand Forks (not that they were bad/ just different than Vermillion. ).

As has already been mentioned, for what Vermillion doesn't have amenity wise Yankton will have a lot of it. And Sioux City Iowa and Sioux Falls would have most anything else other than large city type of stuff. And for that it doesn't seem like Omaha is that far.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:44 PM

Here's a pic of the fancy schmancy new aquatics center in Prentis Park:

Old 04-27-2018, 12:59 PM

Thank you everyone.

Well the move is confirmed so the real process of researching everything is underway.

I have started to make contact with some of the property management companies and the school district.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Here's a pic of the fancy schmancy new aquatics center in Prentis Park:
Looks great. Can hardly wait for summer to arrive.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:33 AM

If you're coming down to look at housing, there's a professional baseball exhibition game in Prentis Park on May 10th that your family might enjoy: the Sioux City Explorers v the Sioux Falls Canaries. There'll be a "kids camp" right before the game. https://www.facebook.com/events/233130567236522/

I hate sports but I like the Canaries purely because of their name. So wonderful!

Old 05-02-2018, 05:31 AM

The Vermillion Middle School Robotics team just finished 10th in the World in the Vex World Robotics championship.

That's TENTH IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD, FOLKS!

Smart kids, here in Vermillion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota