Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 09:28 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times

Advertisements

Looks like we're doing pretty good!

Road Runner High Speed Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 09:30 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
KEWL!!! Wow, we're number one about something good! Did you notice that thirteen of those states were all in a cold climate? Hawaii and New Mexico were the only two warm regions with a low unemployment rate.

I was surprised to see Alaska on the list of highest unemployment.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:44 PM

205 posts, read 729,171 times
It is sad that South Dakota had the lowest mean annual wage at $30,460 along with Mississippi. I am surprised that energy was not listed as a top industry in Wyoming.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:16 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
Just because South Dakota has low unemployment does not necessarily mean that it is easy to find a good-paying job here. I have heard that it is actually very difficult here for someone who is just starting out. Hopefully that can change with this new job influx.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:19 AM

Yea, our wages are nothing to brag about, but in my search for the perfect spot~I've discovered that employers don't pay any more in expensive parts of the country then they pay here. Of course, I'm not talking about very high-end places like California, etc.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:40 AM

393 posts, read 1,069,260 times
Default It all depends

Well, that's true. I live in N.E. Florida and my user id is COMPLETELY true, I dream of living in the Black Hills. I can tell you that here, I make pretty good money managing large construction projects and on the contrary, my wife makes $8 an hour working in a retail store. I know for a fact that I am WAAAAAAAAAY at the top of the spectrum for wages in the area and that the vast majority are probably much closer to where my wife's rate is...

Even with our combined income, we don't have much left at the end of the month after paying the mortgage on our 1215 square foot house, one car payment, and a few other misc. bills. I have no idea how people who make much less can own an average home and an average car and make ends meet.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:00 PM

463 posts, read 1,291,911 times
BlackHillsDreams ....we are also hoping to move to the Black Hills...Rapid City in particular. I have slowly been looking for a job there. No luck so far.
Good luck to both of you !

Old 03-28-2008, 08:41 PM

393 posts, read 1,069,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubashawn68 View Post
BlackHillsDreams ....we are also hoping to move to the Black Hills...Rapid City in particular. I have slowly been looking for a job there. No luck so far.
Good luck to both of you !
Same here. I made a few calls to various offices that seemed to be part of the bigger construction projects out there (Rushmore Crossing, Apartments, etc.). I actually got some calls back to say thanks for asking but no offers. The fact that they even called me in the first place was nice and unusual. One guy told me if he hired me, they'd probably fire him because I had more experience. I laughed but he was really nice. I figure if I get really serious, I'll just have to make a trip out and try to meet some people in person.

Good luck to you too!

Old 03-28-2008, 09:15 PM

Scuba and BH Dreams, I wish you both luck in your move to the Hills. BH, I kind of had to chuckle about the fact that you sounded surprised to get a return phone call. We nearly made the fatal mistake of moving to Fla. and it's so different up here. When there's a job advertised, it IS there unless of course it was already filled. They don't generally just throw out ads in order to build up their apps. When you start a job up here, you generally start your benies at day one~if the job offers them. AND the human resources personnel and asst. managers, etc. can give you facts instead of stuttering around OR reading the info to you. I can't imagine the frustration people like us, who have spent our entire lives here, would go through in an area like that and try to survive. It may have beautiful areas and be warm, but the frustration just wouldn't be worth it. And you can expect call backs or a letter if you're hired AND if you're not. It's just the respectful thing to do to someone who has taken the time to research your company and take the time to fill out a resume for them.

The Rapid City area is an excellent choice and today's Rapid City Journal has an article saying that the area has now hit 120,000 and it's growing.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:48 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times
thanks for sharing, danny...
and I totally agree with Jammie's last post...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota