U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 07:50 PM

794 posts, read 270,696 times

Advertisements

What is your goal with the hobby farm? Is is going to be your main means of support or a lot of great fresh produce and a little extra cash. Those are really the main 2 reasons for most hobby farmers.

I can help you out with the hobby farm aspect. As to the location, if you pick SD make sure to stick to the eastern half of the state. Your specific location will be very important depending on how you want to use the hobby farm.

If you have any specific questions post them or PM me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 10:09 PM

722 posts, read 1,584,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
What is your goal with the hobby farm? Is is going to be your main means of support or a lot of great fresh produce and a little extra cash. Those are really the main 2 reasons for most hobby farmers.

I can help you out with the hobby farm aspect. As to the location, if you pick SD make sure to stick to the eastern half of the state. Your specific location will be very important depending on how you want to use the hobby farm.

If you have any specific questions post them or PM me.

What I have in mind is a few sheep, chickens, garden just for me and the wife, not looking to really make any money off it.....least I haven't thought about do that....at least a 100 (300 would be better) yard range for target practice, a shop with a car lift.....do some wood working.....Saw mill...I always end up with more than enough projects. I just don't want to have to look at my neighbor every time I walk out the door.

Old 05-29-2019, 10:24 PM

794 posts, read 270,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
What I have in mind is a few sheep, chickens, garden just for me and the wife, not looking to really make any money off it.....least I haven't thought about do that....at least a 100 (300 would be better) yard range for target practice, a shop with a car lift.....do some wood working.....Saw mill...I always end up with more than enough projects. I just don't want to have to look at my neighbor every time I walk out the door.
OK you can do that almost anyplace in rural SD. I have experience with the monetary aspect of a small farm. If you had plans of making $ doing it, it limits your locations.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:47 AM

255 posts, read 785,585 times
First question is really, are you going to FARM or RANCH? Land to the east of the Missouri River (AKA East River) is more fertile and better for farming. Land to the west, West River is better for ranching. Regardless of where you end up, you must have water rights. Just because their is an aquifer under your land or a river flowing thru it does not mean you are free to take the water. (In Nevada you can buy a square mile of land for less than $100,000 and it is worthless as land because there are no water rights.) So in any listing, make sure you keep the water issue in mind. No so vital but of interest is in the Black Hills they may be separate mineral rights that are not part of your property. So you might be able to buy some surface rights cheap but then the guy who owns the mineral rights can come and start digging. There is also the issue of access. There is some land near Rapid City that is really REALLY cheap but there is no access because thru the years the land was subdivided and the owner did not think ahead and ended up with a piece of land that has no access except by trespassing over someone else's land as they did not even arrange an access easement. So make sure you have access that can not be cut off. Bottom line, if the price looks really good, watch out as there may be a catch to it.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:04 PM

1,002 posts, read 579,494 times
Water rights - That's true in most of the western states. Easement is not always a sure thing. Like you wrote - trespassing and not often does the Forest Service grant access.

As to the earlier comments about taxes. When you find a property - you can look up the applicable tax rate on zillow.com
Some properties I viewed today have rates ranging from 1.15 - 1.5

Old 12-14-2020, 01:43 PM

722 posts, read 1,584,038 times
Maybe a hobby ranch is more what I am looking at, being able to bring in a few extra bucks every year would be a plus.

I have been looking at AR, see some places in the higher areas, 6K and above, also looking in the WY, UT and NM areas. I took SD off, due to it being so hard for a resident to get a deer license and would prefer to be somewhere where there are elk or bigger game to stock the freezer.....trying to stay in the western areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota