U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 11:38 PM

722 posts, read 1,584,038 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking to start a small hobby farm where I can still get at least 5 acres for under 100K. I did notice there are many old farms/homes in Minn and Wisconsin that meet this description, but I prefer SD, anywhere in the state is ok.....any recommendations? I have been using zillow, but have had only a few show up in SD for some reason.....other locations with in a few hours driving distance to the state would also be considered...What ever it is, it needs to be in the country.

Does SD, MN, WY or MT have lower property taxes for retired or disabled?

Hunting/fishing riding 4 Wheeler/Argo/Boat are important too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 08:13 AM

3,880 posts, read 5,267,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
Hi, I'm looking to start a small hobby farm where I can still get at least 5 acres for under 100K. I did notice there are many old farms/homes in Minn and Wisconsin that meet this description, but I prefer SD, anywhere in the state is ok.....any recommendations? I have been using zillow, but have had only a few show up in SD for some reason.....other locations with in a few hours driving distance to the state would also be considered...What ever it is, it needs to be in the country.

Anywhere well outside of any of our major cities (by major cities in SD I'm talking 10,000 people ) you can easily get 5 acres for under $ 100,000. Since it's a hobby farm, the main question is, is it farmable? This state is both farm country and ranch country. Lots of land out there with minimal production capabilities. You should have no problem getting pretty good land for your price. Research closely.

The one perk we have for people over 65 is the elderly tax freeze. Each county handles this. What it is, is for elderly people who make less than a certain figure, which I'm guessing is now around $ 30,000, they freeze your assessment value to the year that you turned 65. The target income figure includes what you receive in Social Security. They still assess it correctly each year, but fall back to where it was assessed when you turned 65 when applying the mill levy. This assessment freeze is only for your house, appurtenant garage, and 1 acre of land. NO agricultural or commercial land can receive this freeze.

Obviously, this is a very low income target where this freeze can be utilized. It's to prevent elderly from being taxed out of their homes when they have minimal resources. Elderly are also not forced to pay property taxes either, forcing them out of their property. The back taxes not paid will keep adding up with interest until after they die. The money owed will then come out of the estate even if it takes a forced sale of the property.

SD is mostly wide open spaces. You'll have no trouble finding land to ride your 4 wheeler or launch a boat. There are lakes everywhere, especially in the northeast AND we've got the Missouri River and 4 separate dams creating very large lakes with tons of fishing.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:39 AM

37 posts, read 28,431 times
Property taxes are assessed by counties, so it varies by county. Also, property taxes on agricultural property are generally lower than that used for non-ag purposes. Some info here; check the ag productivity link: https://dor.sd.gov/Taxes/Property_Taxes/

There is a nice interactive map of U.S. county property rates (non-ag) here:
https://money.cnn.com/interactive/re.../property-tax/

Old 05-29-2019, 10:20 AM

10,017 posts, read 9,399,591 times
Quote:

Go to SD...MN taxes will kill you particularly if you are trying to retire there. We live in Mn now and will be retiring to SD in a few yrs.

P.S. We found the closer you go towards the center of the state the further your money goes toward property. look in the Huron area maybe. Just my opinion from looking at lots of property

Last edited by my54ford; 05-29-2019 at 10:30 AM..

Old 05-29-2019, 10:37 AM

Thanks. Also, my brother told me we’re he is in SD, you have to keep your yard looking nice or local gov will do it for you and charge you 70 hr!! Is this just city or is it state wide?

Old 05-29-2019, 11:50 AM

10,017 posts, read 9,399,591 times
Quote:
Thanks. Also, my brother told me we’re he is in SD, you have to keep your yard looking nice or local gov will do it for you and charge you 70 hr!! Is this just city or is it state wide?
sounds like local gov. that crap happens here in Minnesota too

Old 05-29-2019, 12:57 PM

1,153 posts, read 774,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.L. View Post
Property taxes are assessed by counties, so it varies by county. Also, property taxes on agricultural property are generally lower than that used for non-ag purposes. Some info here; check the ag productivity link: https://dor.sd.gov/Taxes/Property_Taxes/

There is a nice interactive map of U.S. county property rates (non-ag) here:
https://money.cnn.com/interactive/re.../property-tax/

That map is terrible. My tax RATE is 1.1%, but because I live in a high dollar value area my county is shown as the second darkest shade. There are places in the lighter shades that have higher rates, but because housing prices are half or even a third of what they are in my area the raw dollar amount is lower.

Texas counties have rates around 3-4% from what I've read, ditto for upstate/western NY and much of New England.

With a 4% rate you're essentially giving your local government your own house every 25 years, and realistically you're doing so much sooner given the constant increases and jacked-up assessments.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:

It's a city thing, and I'm all for it if common sense is applied. There is no reason neighbors have to put up with someone with 12" of grass on their lawns or sand burrs and tall Canadian thistles. It should be clearly stated in a city ordinance what's allowable and the homeowner should be notified at least twice with a stated deadline to give them a chance to take care of the issue prior to the city doing it.

If a homeowner has weeds in his grass, but keeps it mowed, a municipality shouldn't have a problem with that even though I wouldn't want him right next to my place.

Old 05-29-2019, 05:11 PM

I want to stay away from a place like that, even though I do keep my yard looking good, but I don't want someone telling me I have to keep it like that, that is what associations are for, not free Americans.....especially the old and handy capped who can't take care if it them selves. I hate the thought of someone loosing their home because they can't keep it up to someone else's standards....not the governments job....in my opinion, but this is off topic.....So I'll be staying away from Sisseton SD.

Old 05-29-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I want to stay away from a place like that, even though I do keep my yard looking good, but I don't want someone telling me I have to keep it like that, that is what associations are for, not free Americans.....especially the old and handy capped who can't take care if it them selves. I hate the thought of someone loosing their home because they can't keep it up to someone else's standards....not the governments job....in my opinion, but this is off topic.....So I'll be staying away from Sisseton SD.

That's why you're looking for an acreage/hobby farm and not a house in a town. You can let your lawn go or graze cattle on it. Incidentally, no one would be losing their home over a yard issue. Most older or handicapped people can still hire a kid to mow for $ 10 to $ 15. That's still done in small towns all over the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota