Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:44 PM

30 posts, read 82,897 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We're an African American family traveling to the Black Hills area this summer. I've been searching this forum and found a post stating that a gay person was once beaten up at a rodeo in South Dakota. That got me thinking, do you think our family would have a problem attending a rodeo?

We really would like to see one but I don't want to put my children in any danger if the population was not really welcoming of minorities.

Do you think we would have any problems at all during this trip? The question may be strange, but I want to be prepared for anything. Thanks for your frank answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 11:33 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,720,624 times
Many straight people have been beaten up at rodeos too. I don't think you should feel uneasy about going to a rodeo just because your family is African American. If it is a rodeo in Rapid City or Deadwood there will be plenty of minorities there along with white "rednecks".

Tourists come from all over to see the rodeos in the Black Hills. Heck, I've gone to a motorcycle rally wearing a t-shirt that said B**** on it in rhinestones with a tweed sportscoat over it. God I'm an idiot...

Old 04-04-2008, 08:12 AM

19,725 posts, read 10,501,769 times
I live in a ''village'' in East River[Sanborn County] S.D. Please bring your family on vacation. I really don't think you'll have any problems...what time frame are you traveling?

Old 04-04-2008, 10:55 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,456,952 times
You're referring to a post made by me. There was a gay man beaten so badly that he spent a long time in the hospital. He never recovered and had to leave his employment. He didn't live too long afterward because of the injuries. I hadn't originally posted that to scare anyone, but just want people to have the facts. Our state has very low violent crime, BUT it does exist. No one was ever prosecuted for the crime and I even question how many of those cowboys were even from our state.

Debey, it happened right here and if you'd like info on it, DM me.

That being said, I honestly believe that you and your family would be perfectly safe going to a rodeo here. Of course, I wouldn't make it a point to go out drinking with the cowboys, but you shouldn't have any problems. I don't think that most of us are prejudiced toward blacks. It's just the fact that we have always had a very low black population. We had a mayor in my town who was black and he and his family were some of the most adored people around here. Just come on up and you'll be welcomed here.

Last edited by Jammie; 04-04-2008 at 11:05 AM..

Old 04-04-2008, 02:15 PM

Thank you so much for your responses.

We will be traveling this summer. Our dates are flexible. Are there some rodeos in the black hills that are better than others to attend? I've seen there's one in Belle Fourche at the beginning of the summer and one at the fair in Rapid City in August, also the Days of 76. Jammie, did the event happen at one of the rodeos I just listed?

We're very excited to try new things but also nervous about being the only blacks in the stands.

Your responses are helping to put me at ease.

Oh, I just thought of another question...

Are rodeos family friendly in general or only on certain days?

I ask b/c I know around here I can't take my kids to a baseball or football game these days without people drinking or swearing in the stands. They've started making "family nights" or "family sections" of the ballpark for kids due to this.

Would there be the same sort of thing at a rodeo, or is the audience much tamer?

Last edited by Jammie; 04-04-2008 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: merged

Old 04-04-2008, 03:29 PM

19,725 posts, read 10,501,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
You're referring to a post made by me. There was a gay man beaten so badly that he spent a long time in the hospital. He never recovered and had to leave his employment. He didn't live too long afterward because of the injuries. I hadn't originally posted that to scare anyone, but just want people to have the facts. Our state has very low violent crime, BUT it does exist. No one was ever prosecuted for the crime and I even question how many of those cowboys were even from our state.

Debey, it happened right here and if you'd like info on it, DM me.

That being said, I honestly believe that you and your family would be perfectly safe going to a rodeo here. Of course, I wouldn't make it a point to go out drinking with the cowboys, but you shouldn't have any problems. I don't think that most of us are prejudiced toward blacks. It's just the fact that we have always had a very low black population. We had a mayor in my town who was black and he and his family were some of the most adored people around here. Just come on up and you'll be welcomed here.
I know, I knew him....please don't judge all ''cowboys'' by the reputation of a few.....like always, ''one bad apple....''

Old 04-04-2008, 03:38 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,672,071 times
As a visitor to the Houston Rodeo every March I can say that I have seen plenty of black guys and gals with those big 10 gallon hats just the same. I sit in the audience and I walk around the livestock show. Plenty of farmers and Ranchers are black. I never ever had heard one cross word.

That gay guy was an isolated incident and probably even had nothing to do with the fact that he was gay. And like some one else said, straight white guys get beat up too. We all live in a violent society today. These incidents were likely all alcohol related.

Go and have fun....................

Old 04-04-2008, 04:06 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,456,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
I know, I knew him....please don't judge all ''cowboys'' by the reputation of a few.....like always, ''one bad apple....''
OMG, I knew him, too.

Tamsin, there are only certain times of the year that there are rodeos. The Stampede Rodeo in Mitchell is in mid July. The rodeo in Belle Fourche is generally right around the 4th of July. I don't go to rodeos so I'm sorry that I'm not exactly accurate.

The rodeos that you mentioned are not where the incident happened.

Since your travel dates are quite open, here's my suggestion. I'd plan my vacation for the beginning of July. You could see the rodeo in Belle Fourche and also catch the fireworks at Mt. Rushmore. Everything will be open out in the Hills and there is so much to see and do. Just something to consider.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:56 PM

6 posts, read 19,053 times
Default buffalo gals won't ya comeout

Tamsin I believe you are the first human to ever ask this question. No one in these parts ever considered whether they'd be safe at a rodeo unless there was roudy paybacks due for slippin' something prior. Its a real blast of a question. And you think you might not be safe cause you're black? Where the heck are you from anyway?

You and your group need to get out of where you live more often. Just the sky alone out here will do your mind a favor. You won't ever remember asking that question.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogmuncher1 View Post
Tamsin I believe you are the first human to ever ask this question. No one in these parts ever considered whether they'd be safe at a rodeo unless there was roudy paybacks due for slippin' something prior. Its a real blast of a question. And you think you might not be safe cause you're black? Where the heck are you from anyway?

You and your group need to get out of where you live more often. Just the sky alone out here will do your mind a favor. You won't ever remember asking that question.
Well, thanks...I think.

It's good to know it should be a non issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota